Thread: Seats?

mtbr member

New question here. Seats?

stats: 6,1 250lbs.

So Ive tried lots of different seats, from cheap WTB speed V to some specialized body geometry seats, to some italian ones, and no matter what they all numb my butt eventually.

Its not that I have a lot of junk in the trunk, just don't think I can find something that my seat bones (to quote specialized) can rest on easily. I actually crushed the rails on one WTB seat that had aluminum rails, so Ill need something Ti or chromoly at least.

Any suggestions from you all on a comfortable seat. And no, the ones from Target that are 2 feet wide with 6inch cushion and springs won't work

mtbr member

seat bones

ischial tuberosities is what they are called.

This is going to sound weird, but I'd locate them by feel, and measure their width (this is going to be difficult and may involve looking at your butt in a mirror - make sure no one else is home...). Then you can look at saddle widths; if yours are 160mm apart, then a saddle narrower than that is never going to feel right. Frankly I think all the cutouts to take pressure off the blood vessels miss the point: you need support on the hard part of your butt to suspend the soft tissue.

My wife has pretty wide ischial tuberosities, the widest saddle we found that was firm enough to actually ride was a Specialized BG comfort+ at about 180mm total width. It's a little softer than I'd like, not like those Target saddles you mentioned though.

mtbr member
    wow mine is not that wide apart. Maybe ive been buying seats that are too wide. go figure. thx for the info

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out the WTB Power V, Pure V, or Laser V (widest to narrowest, they make narrower ones but I avoid those). Those are my three favorites of all time. The Speed V is not comfortable for me for serious biking - more of a recreational seat, and I could never get comfortable on the Specialized Body Geometry saddles.

mtbr member
    yeah I had one specialized body geometry saddle that was comfy for like the first half hour then it was all hip shifting after that. I bought a selle marco (sp?) seat online for pretty cheap, it seems like it has the correct dimensions for me, hope it works. thanks for your input!

I walk up hills
    I have a F.U.N.N. saddle that's freeking huge but has been great so far (once I got the angle right). Looks a little strange but works for me, I'm 230ish with about 100 of that being my can
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
    I have a F.U.N.N. saddle that's freeking huge but has been great so far (once I got the angle right). Looks a little strange but works for me, I'm 230ish with about 100 of that being my can
    What! Do you have a TV attached to the bars so you can sit there on your couch and watch the game as you pedal along?

Ok, I'm just making fun. I've seen plenty of people using DH saddles for trail bikes.

mtbr member
    I like the SDG Belair saddles allot. They are super comfy, a decent weight and come in cool colors.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Just paint over the pastel

Try a woman's seat. I went into my lbs looking for a seat and they recommended the Specialized Dolce. I don't look like a woman so I don't think it was a mistake on their part. Butt seriously, I have found it to be the best seat I have tried by far. I know for a fact that I have wider hips than a lot of smalled guys, so it might make sense for a big guy to use a seat that is designed for someone with wider hips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
    Do you ride it in that position? It has to put a ton of pressure on your hands/arms, no?

There's wide and then there's W-I-D-E. The fat nosed DH saddles give the inside of your thighs something to grip or lean into when bombing out of the saddle. Also gives your cornhole a fatter LZ when you case. Most of them are not designed for extended seated pedaling.

I ride on the WTB Laser V. I go 250+ with gear and have ridden the Ti-railed versions exclusively for the last 3 years with no issues.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    so my selle san marco arrowhead saddle came in, and went on one ride with it already, i cant believe how small it is, and yet its very comfortable for me . too bad seat manufacturers don't make it easier to find a saddle that works well the first time out instead of having to shell out a bunch of cash...

mtbr member
    Well, if you're building your bike from parts up - the onus is on you. It's impossible for mfrs to spec a OE saddle that works for all tushies.

I agree though, so much time is spent on finding the right frame dimensions relative to figuring out how best to sit comfortably on the darn thing.

The taint can be an awfully personal matter...!

Quote Originally Posted by nsbucky
    too bad seat manufacturers don't make it easier to find a saddle that works well the first time out instead of having to shell out a bunch of cash...
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

I walk up hills
    Do you ride it in that position? It has to put a ton of pressure on your hands/arms, no?
    No not really, it also set a back as far as it will go and my bike has a really short top tube and stem. It is a little more like leaning on it than sitting right down on it so it may be a bit tougher on the legs.

Was riding for 4+ hours yesterday though and I'm fine today.
    These really seem to help though, despite not being padded.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soupboy
    Well, if you're building your bike from parts up - the onus is on you. It's impossible for mfrs to spec a OE saddle that works for all tushies.
    yeah that is impossible, but shoe manufacturers at least have some relative sizes that can put you in the ballpark as to what kind of size ill need, even width. how hard would that be for a saddle manufacturer to do? Im asking in total ignorance, so this question could be obviously answered, Im just asking it as a person who has bought at least 8 saddles in the past 2 years.

Bikes!
    I used to religeously ride Flite saddles, then one day woke up and my a55 had changed so I tried a WTB Rocket Ti, which was a little better, I now ride a SDG Bel Air which is ultra comfy!
    2014 Yeti SB95c
    2014 Trek Stache 8
    2013 Trek CrossRip Elite

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    I've said it before and I'll say it again... NOTHING compares with the comfort of a Brooks B-17

mtbr member
    Well that selle marco seat i got sucked, already returned it. That brooks b-17 looks cool, but will it really be good for someone my size? I think I might suffer from the same sorts of bung problems that current seats give me now.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    nsbucky...

the only size that matters is the relative space between one's sit bones... Overall size is not a determining factor. For ME (6'5" 260 lbs, for what that is worth), the wider seat area and shorter nose gives uncomparable comfort...I've tried em all, too

give Diane at Wallbike a call. 6 month unconditional guarantee...you can't beat that!

good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I cannot say enough good things about the Terry Fly saddle. I'm 226lbs and 5' 10" (all muscle of course) LOL

mtbr member
    so i ended up buying the terry fly saddle. really really comfy and fits me just right. thanks for all your input everyone, it really helped.

Bike to the Bone...
    I've had gone from wide saddles (Spech BG 2, and Avatar 155 saddle, now I'm on a WTB Rocket V and a Selle San Marco Gelaround Aramid (or something like that),which are 13x mm and I prefer the narrower saddles. It's kinda funny, since I have a big, fat (_y_), but maybe the bones are narrow.

I went from lycras with padding, to just plain bermuda's short and I also prefer the plain shorts.

The Element Of Choice

This is a saddle I really like

I am 6'0 215 pounds and took a look at this seat and bought it. It is a little wider in the rear by maybe a 1/8" or so but not to wide for switch backs and ruff trails. It is soft but not to soft and is very light. http://pricepoint.com/detail/12858-2...ail-Saddle.htm
    A man looks into the abyss. Thereís nothing staring back at him. At that moment, a man finds his character. And thatís what keeps him out of the abyss.