mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Seatpost and Saddles

I need to get a seat post and saddle. I was looking at the Thomson Elite and the Titec El Norte but I need some input as far as saddles. It must be comfie I dont mind giving up some weight for comfort but would like to find a happy middle. (along with price of couse.) Opinions please???? Im 235 and will be riding a FS XC bike for hours.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Saddles are VERY subjective as far as preference....

goes. The key to saddle comfort is two fold. First finding one that puts the padding in the right places and second finding one that fits you. Both factors are based primarily on the anatomy of your sitz bones. The key is to find a saddle that more or less centers these bones on the rear lobes of the seat. So just keep in mind what may be comfortable for me may not be so for you. That being said my personal favorite is the WTB Speed V Comp. Cromo rails (not hollow), reasonably light, properly padded, and quite durable in my experience. And it fits my backside correctly. You may have to do a little cut and try with saddles before you find one that works best for you. I know that I did, I went through a half dozen saddles before settling on the WTB. But it's a starting point. By the way, I weigh between 230 and 235 so I know it's durable enough for us clydes.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Your bike is incorrigible

I agree on the subjectivity part

But I want to add that, if lightweight is a major factor, then Ti rails are great for clydes. I'm on the SDG Bel Air with Ti rails, and they haven't bent or broken after a year of abuse, and that included throwing the bike down and having the saddle strike a rock. With some searching, you can find some saddles with Ti rails in the $50 - $80 range. They will weigh between 250 and 300 grams. Anything lighter and you compromise durability and comfort.

Freshly Fujified

Titec seatposts

Quote Originally Posted by jnstrom
    I need to get a seat post and saddle. I was looking at the Thomson Elite and the Titec El Norte but I need some input as far as saddles. It must be comfie I dont mind giving up some weight for comfort but would like to find a happy middle. (along with price of couse.) Opinions please???? Im 235 and will be riding a FS XC bike for hours.
    I can vouch for the Titec "Knock rated" seatposts. I have the Titec Hellbent seatpost (now called the El Norte Bent) and it's a nice post. Their higher end posts are very good. Thomson is the standad by which all are judged, but I got my Titec for half the cost of a Thomson setback, and it's everything I expected. If the Thomson and Titec were within a couple dollars of each other, I'd have gone with the Thomson.

Like everyone else said, saddles are a very personal choice. Inevitably you still need to get accustomed to being in a saddle, and almost every ride will feel uncomfortable until your bottom gets accustomed to riding. You wiull however, know in a short period of time if the saddle you choose will fit you or not. Check out WTB and Selle Italia for starters.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

saddles are so personal it's hard to say but

I just got a brooks b17 narrow and it is instantly the most comfortable saddle I own. I have taken two 4 hours rides and it rocks, no pain. I have never been able to say that about any saddle, even when I wasn't a clyde.

The saddle on my single speed is the Azonic Lovseat, it's nice but doesn't compare to the Brooks and it's also goofy looking.

ganze

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Snappin thompsons

I've been riding thompsons for about 6 years and have never had a problem until I got a Klein Palomino. Since I bought the palomino I have snapped 3. I have checked for "scribing" on the post--nada, I even had major dialogue with Trek about the seat angle being too great for my weight trying to get them to swap me with a fuel 98(6'5" AND 230Pounds). I would say thompson if the seat angle is not similar to a Palomino or Maverick--if it is, I think you may have problems. Thompson has great warranty service and it's fast! Trek--they sent me a Big Earl to replace the Thompson. It bends like a piece of licorice and is not nearly as stiff as the Thompson.

Seats--I agree with other posers(we are all posers) it's personal. I love my Fizik seat. It's by far the most comfy compared to my Selle gel lite and other's I have tried.

Bike blessings

ncg

Probably drunk right now

Could be a tolerance problem...

Quote Originally Posted by norcalgeek
    I've been riding thompsons for about 6 years and have never had a problem until I got a Klein Palomino. Since I bought the palomino I have snapped 3. I have checked for "scribing" on the post--nada, I even had major dialogue with Trek about the seat angle being too great for my weight trying to get them to swap me with a fuel 98(6'5" AND 230Pounds). I would say thompson if the seat angle is not similar to a Palomino or Maverick--if it is, I think you may have problems. Thompson has great warranty service and it's fast! Trek--they sent me a Big Earl to replace the Thompson. It bends like a piece of licorice and is not nearly as stiff as the Thompson.

Seats--I agree with other posers(we are all posers) it's personal. I love my Fizik seat. It's by far the most comfy compared to my Selle gel lite and other's I have tried.

Bike blessings

ncg
    Your snapping Thompsons could be a result of an out of spec tolerance in the seat tube. If the bike's seat tube ID is larger than specified, the resulting slop between the seatpost and the seat tube could be resulting in your snapped seat posts. If you know a machinist, they should have an ID mic that you could use to check the tolerance. I'm not saying this is the cause, but it would be something I'd want to eliminate before a bought too many seatposts.

Ken

GettingOff
    Jan 2004

My recommend

Selle Italia - Karve

if you can find it.

Other wise a WTB.

Go to shop, sit, for at least 3 minutes, feet on pedals.

Buy only if you have a 'window' for exchange.

THanks