Thread: Seatpost debate

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Seatpost debate

Had an AL frame crack that I was running a 31.6mm race face carbon post on it. I'm replacing the frame with a steel frame that has a 27.2mm seatpost. I'd like to run a carbon post (prolly another Race Face, loved it) to keep the weight down and make the already smooth ride even smoother. My only concern is that running a carbon post will be TOO flexy. I'm 6'2" 235lbs riding a 19" frame, so theres some seatpost exposed, not a ton, but enough. I know the steel frame will ride well, regardless of the seatpost used. I'd prefer the carbon, but would it be better to run a nice AL post? Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If you're worried about Flex get a Thomson... Light and ridiculously strong

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneyV View Post
    This ^^^

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ended up going with a Race Face Next SL. Figure I'll get the smoothest ride I can.

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmtbfreak View Post
    Had an AL frame crack that I was running a 31.6mm race face carbon post on it. I'm replacing the frame with a steel frame that has a 27.2mm seatpost. I'd like to run a carbon post (prolly another Race Face, loved it) to keep the weight down and make the already smooth ride even smoother. My only concern is that running a carbon post will be TOO flexy. I'm 6'2" 235lbs riding a 19" frame, so theres some seatpost exposed, not a ton, but enough. I know the steel frame will ride well, regardless of the seatpost used. I'd prefer the carbon, but would it be better to run a nice AL post? Thoughts?
    I'm 5'11" and 250...ish...and have a carbon post in a 27.2 Misfit Dissent frame. Not too flexy. There is only 4 inches of post exposed though...

I notice the FSA SL-K is only rated for 165 pounds though!!! Yikes!!!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Time for my mud bath...

Adjustable posts for clydes...???

First Post. I have finally joined...

I bent my stock Ritchey post at the end of last season. Now looking for a replacement.

I am 6'-2" 290lbs. I ride a 20" Jamis Dakota 29er.

Does anyone have experience with adjustable seat posts for riders in my range?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmtbfreak View Post
    what frame was it?... how much post was in the frame? any pics?

sorry nothing good beyond an echo of "thomson" if you want strength....
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sydneyV View Post
    Couldn't have said it better.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

Former Bike Wrench
    As a lighter clyde (most I've weighed is about 235lbs, currently 215lbs) I have broken two carbon posts that I have had on hardtails. Never an issue on my road bike or on a full suspension but I will not use them on hardtails anymore.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    ... I just ordered me a thomson setback for my new bike... I don't want to play with anything less ;-)...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Time for my mud bath...
    I hear ya... Much as I'd like an adjustable post, I will probably go with a Thomson as well.

Good riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Willy View Post
    First Post. I have finally joined...

I bent my stock Ritchey post at the end of last season. Now looking for a replacement.

I am 6'-2" 290lbs. I ride a 20" Jamis Dakota 29er.

Does anyone have experience with adjustable seat posts for riders in my range?
    I run a 31.6mm RS Reverb. I have had it for 3 months now, over 200 miles on a trek Scratch Air 9. I weigh 325lbs with no issues to speak of.