mtbr member

Seat/post creaking

When i have my post at my highest point for commuting the seat and or post creak every pedal stroke.

I drop it down 20mm for trail riding and creaking stops. 35mm and 55mm below the highest allowed spot on the post.

I tightened the hell out of the seat bolts, tightened the seat post clamp, cleaned the anodized black post and inside my frame.

What to do?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not sure about the post, but I had a saddle that creaked and found that there were hair line cracks where the rails joined into the rear of the saddle. Do you lube your seat post?

mtbr member

Seat/post creaking

Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat View Post
    Not sure about the post, but I had a saddle that creaked and found that there were hair line cracks where the rails joined into the rear of the saddle. Do you lube your seat post?
    Nope i dont. Should i?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Nope i dont. Should i?
    I put a very light coat of grease on my seat post, so give it a try and see if it works.

mtbr member
    If both the post and frame are metal, yes you should put something on there. The fact that the creak goes away when you lower the seat makes me think that's probably the problem. Thick grease or fiber grip (even though it's ostensibly for carbon, it still works well for al on al).

I'd also take a close look at the frame around the top tube/seat tube junction. I had a creaking post that... grease would temporarily fix until the tt pulled out of the st (i'm sure there had been a crack for a while, and that was was creaking - I was really lubing the crack, not the post).