mtbr member

Seat Height Blues

I have been having problems retaining seat heigth. I ride a hardtail with a Race Face Evolve seatpost with a Hope quick release clamp.I'm thinking about changing posts or taking this post to a machine shop and having it "knurled". Are there any seat posts out there that are knurled or grooved? Thanks to all you fellow Clydes out there for any comments or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Start by getting rid of the qr clamp! That is not the place that you want qr(unless you like stealing other peoples seats and posts)!

mtbr member
    Thomson posts have ribs which seem to help. Also, they are the best post on the market in every other way.

How tight is your QR? The only times I've had a post slip, qr or bolt, it was slightly undersized - typical of real inexpensive posts.

mtbr member
    I have it so tight that it takes real effort to close it.And when i'm riding,it creaks and makes alot of noise. Very frustrating!

local trails rider
    The grease that is used to keep the post from sticking in the seat tube is also slippery. Years ago, someone mentioned using chalk instead of grease; the dry kind, not greasy crayons.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    I have been reading about where riders have taken an aluminum soda can and made a "shim". Any thoughts,pros or cons?

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by jekramerjr51 View Post
    I have it so tight that it takes real effort to close it.And when i'm riding,it creaks and makes alot of noise. Very frustrating!
    Have you lubed your QR clamp recently? If you haven't, put a bit of grease or chain oil in there. Chances are it is too loose, but the friction is making it feel super tight. Creaking is also a sign that it needs some lube.

mtbr member
    My evolve slipped like mad in my sir9. Truvative team post has been better, but not 100%.
    I know what you mean by qr so tight that it's hard to close/open.
    Sometimes I think it's a seat tube issue. Gonna try fiber grip next which is usually used for carbon fiber and aluminum contact.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Friction paste is what you need.

Here's a brand. However, your LBS has some for certain and they may just put some of therir's on your peat post if your a return customer...

http://www.trisports.com/fsa-install...ion-paste.html

mtbr member
    Yes, that's more like it. Any other experience using this successfully?

rock crusher
    Aug 2008
    I replaced a useless Hope QR on my 135# wife's bike recently because it slipped all of the time. It was replaced with a Salsa Lip Lock, same as this 230# clyde runs, because it won't slip

mtbr member
    My race face evlolve post creaks like mad, but its not the post its the clamps on the seat. I don't know whats up with it.

I actually broke my stock giant QR ( bent it ). I have a salsa quick release on there no problem. Never slipped, not evn super tight.

I'm 6'6" 225.

turtles make me hot
    I weigh about 250 and have a Thomson post and a Syntace clamp. No problems.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Dont waste time or money....

Hey Pop,

Just wanted to let you know that the seat on my Haro came knurled stock and I still have slippage. (About an inch per 2-3 hours). Not bad but still annoying. I did some research and even if you replace your QR with a post bolt you will still have the same problems. (Face it, we are clydesdales, right.) I have also heard that checking your seat post pre-ride for any small pebbles that may be acting as a bearing will help. I read that rubbing dirt and baby powder on your seatpost may be effective short-term but you run the risk of your seat seizing in your seat tube. I am going to try using an aluminim can as a shim. That seems to be the most cost effective solution that I have come across. Give it a whirl! Ride Hard!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I use carbon paste on my thompson with my salsa lip lock...i'm 6'6" 250lbs.. sometimes it creaks, but never slips.