Thread: seat clamp

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

seat clamp

I have a salsa lip lock seat clamp that keeps slipping. Can they actually go bad? Screw still fine. What are my other fellow clydes using?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hope not, I just ordered two of them. One for me and one for my wife.

I have been using the stock QR that came with my bike and it has been slipping a little. Good thing I marked my height on the tube.

How tight do you have the screw? Are you sure you have the right size clamp?

I would imagine that this would be a good place for some locktite if you don't plan on changing the height.

Former Bike Wrench
    It's more likely the post fit in the seat tube...make sure the fit is correct. If it is really loose you may need to go up one size. You can also add a little sand to the post (stick to the grease) to create a tighter fit.

I once had a frame that was supposed to be a 27.0 seat post size but even a textured post like a Thompson slipped. I honed out the seat tube a little (your LBS should have the correct hones) and went with a 27.2 and never had a problem.

mtbr member
    I cannot use quick release seat clamps. They've always slipped (240 lbs). I always have to use allen bolt type clamps

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    It's more likely the post fit in the seat tube...make sure the fit is correct. If it is really loose you may need to go up one size. You can also add a little sand to the post (stick to the grease) to create a tighter fit.

I once had a frame that was supposed to be a 27.0 seat post size but even a textured post like a Thompson slipped. I honed out the seat tube a little (your LBS should have the correct hones) and went with a 27.2 and never had a problem.
    I'll have to check, I hope its not that. The frame is a custom steel, and he ordered all components and built up. It seemed to work fine til I got caught on the trails in a downpour and got pretty wet and sloppy. So that's why I was wondering if mine went bad. It seems pretty simple piece not much to actually go bad.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    friction paste!

Clean the frame and seat post very well and use friction paste (a gel/lubricant with super fine grit) on the seat post.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post
    friction paste!

Clean the frame and seat post very well and use friction paste (a gel/lubricant with super fine grit) on the seat post.
    yes, did the same thing. went from my stock bontrager QR to a Salsa LipLock with carbon friction paste, 6'6" 250lbs and boom nice and solid

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    That's actually a common problem on new bikes. It isn't helped by the fact that many of the seatpost sizes are only fractions of a millimeter apart.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericmopar View Post
    That's actually a common problem on new bikes. It isn't helped by the fact that many of the seatpost sizes are only fractions of a millimeter apart.
    Yep and this was a Bontrager frame (Trek made) so it wasn't some generic tubeset, it was True Temper OX II.