Goathead Gladiator

sea otter right division?

just signed up for beginner clyde at sea otter is this wrong will I get heckled for being too light 5'11" 205lbs this will be my first race

mtbr member
    You may be too light. I remember reading somewhere that they weigh you at the end of the ride. If your like me, a good ride will involve losing alot of sweat, so they might disqualify you. I dont know, have no experience, so take that with a huge salt lick, not just a grain.

Good luck on the race.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    just signed up for beginner clyde at sea otter is this wrong will I get heckled for being too light 5'11" 205lbs this will be my first race
    You're a Clyde, but if you've been riding for a couple of years, you may be a sand bagger too. You mentioned it your first race... Cool. have fun, but if you can ride for 2 hours without stopping, and keep up with some non-clydes, you might consider Clyde Sport adn give the Noobs a chance.

I hope the weather holds up!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    205?
    there will be women out there that weigh that much.

Goathead Gladiator
    thanks for the replies

Can I get a 2nd opinion on sea otter beginner division?

Is this for beginner riders or beginner racers?

riders vs racers?

Some guy posted elsewhere in mtbr you shouldn't move to sport unless you've raced a few beginners and are finishing near the top. I think it's that guys post that is messing with my mind.

I've never raced but am a serious w/end warrior I don't want to be in a pack of people who can't ride.

mtbr member
    Well bro, I feel like Im in the same boat, but I guess not. I thought 230 was too light for clyde, but then I went to a race to take pictures of my 160lb sport-snake friend, I saw many a fellow looking 250+ and not muscle I'd say that my opinion mirrors that which was said here: If you can keep up with lighter fellows and can ride far and fast, go ahead and enter a tougher class than clyde. I got much love for my brutha clydes, but I know I can't keep up with pure muscle 200.98 lb wonders haha
    Black on Black T2
    Max: 36.4 mph (Negro Mtn, Rt 68, Western MD)
    Patapsco Avg : 8.2 mph
    235 naked
    Clyde Pride

Goathead Gladiator
    so the answer is: at sea otter, beginner clyde is the right division for big boys entering their first race, even for me who felt a little foolish entering clyde at 205 pounds.

I got 12th out of 43 including about a minute and half of non-riding time being a good samaritan.

I watched sport clyde lining up I would have come in last those guys were ripped full muscle dudes.

Regular beginner 35-39 I would have got 40th.

only went over the bars once so I consider it a highly successful first race.

I think they should make it BMI ( Body Mass Index ) or better yet body fat index to be really fair. Because fat guys want to race too, and we don't want to have to race against muscular greek gods who happen to be 6'4" and over 200 pounds.

American Made!
    bwolmarans - You are correct SIR!
    I raced sport clyde at SOC and it was a joke, I had to be one of the biggest guys at 6ft, 230lbs!
    I am happy that the "Ken Doll Clydes" feel they should race clyde, I beat quite a few of them! But really they should take their sculpted muscles, nice hairdos and height and move up or race their age. I realize everyone wants to win but how could you feel good about beating a bunch of fat guys?? A round of applause please!
    Yes, I am a little sour about that race.
    Last edited by 1x1clyde; 04-12-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde
    I raced sport clyde at SOC and it was a joke, I had to be one of the biggest guys at 6ft, 230lbs!
    I am happy that the "Ken Doll Clydes" feel they should race clyde, I beat quite a few of them! But really they should take their sculpted muscles, nice hairdos and height and move up or race their age. I realize everyone wants to win but how could you feel good about beating a bunch of fat guys?? A round of applause please!
    Maybe you should feel worse about your fat than Ken Doll's hair?

I raced Sport Singlespeed even though I'm 6'6 220lbs.
    Apparently, Clyde is the way to go though.
    I would have taken 2nd in Sport Clyde...even on my SS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

American Made!
    Nice job on the SS Padre.
    Maybe I can get a hair piece because this is about as small as a polynesian is gonna get!
    I love my SS, just still too brutal out here but I am learning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 1x1clyde
    I think I may be one of those Ken Doll Clydes you are referring to despite missing this year's SOC. Anyway, I know how you feel 'cause I tried racing Expert for a year or two and just got it handed to me. I must admit that when I win a Clydesdale race at 205 lbs by a sizeable time margin I do feel a bit like a sandbagger. Perhaps some of the guys you raced against should have been in the Expert Clyde class? I am not sure of the answer but I think its great to see so many Clydes at the SOC. Sounds like there was some great competition in all of the classes. Oh yeah, good job getting 12th place at 230 lbs...that is great. Your sour grapes over the race is just a natural response to being competitive.....nothing wrong with that!

mtbr member
    They should make a Clyde-potato class for guys like me. Unfit, 6'3, 215, but like to get out once in a while.

As for Sea Otter... Well I did a race there (NOT the SOC, but same place...) And I DFL'ed as a beginner. They also had a first timer-class, but my XC guru roomie said he would follow me the whole way and laugh at me. I don't think i was a Clyde then, but close.

Missing NorCal riding,,,
    Apr 2006
    so the answer is: at sea otter, beginner clyde is the right division for big boys entering their first race, even for me who felt a little foolish entering clyde at 205 pounds.

I got 12th out of 43 including about a minute and half of non-riding time being a good samaritan.

I watched sport clyde lining up I would have come in last those guys were ripped full muscle dudes.

Regular beginner 35-39 I would have got 40th.

only went over the bars once so I consider it a highly successful first race.

I think they should make it BMI ( Body Mass Index ) or better yet body fat index to be really fair. Because fat guys want to race too, and we don't want to have to race against muscular greek gods who happen to be 6'4" and over 200 pounds.
    Where did you go over the bars? I ask because I ride the SOC trails all the time (live in Monterey) and just about know them like the back of my hand.

On a separate note, I was considering entering the Beginner Clyde race, but I got a pretty good crud at the beginning of March and I didn't think I had been able to ride enough. On Sunday I was kicking myself for not racing. I've never raced, but have ridden for awhile. I'm a 6'3" 220ish lb dude that isn't exactly a cut adonis, but not all rolls either. I think I would have been pretty competitive in the beginner class, but since I have been riding a while (just not racing) and my knowledge of the course, should I have entered the Sport Clyde if I had entered?

Just wondering, and great job on your finish.