Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Sea Otter Classic: not sure where my old thread went... so here is a new one

I got the time off, so we are leaving Wed am from Oregon.. driving down to Santa Cruz... when are you guys going to pre ride the course? I plan on spending a few days down at the event.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    where did everybody go???

Track Junkie
    You should probably post this in the Sea Otter forum. Having said that, where are you staying? Wednesday and Thurs are usually the best days to pre-ride the course, as it is used for other events the rest of the weekend. Check the official Sea Otter schedule to see when it will be in use for races and what-not. Otherwise, it's available to ride!
    I get paid to ride shotgun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    well there were 3 other clydes that are going to race, thats why I posted this thread... wish I could find the other one.... I think we are driving down on tues or wed... my buddy is bringing his trailer, and they are going to camp at the course. I will be with them a few nights and then at my in laws in santa cruz the rest.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'm down to 208lbs. Hopefully to just squeak in at 200lbs by Sea Otter!

Stoked, because I also went down a pant size to a 36 - @200lbs, I wear a 34.

Anyway, here's the FB event Ken put together. Quadzilla will be representing that day.

https://www.facebook.com/events/580402328637571/

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    isnt it 210???

I am hoping to get down to 220 by the race... been spinning a bunch since the weather is not the best up here...

that FB link wont work for me, takes me to my calendar but, it shows nothing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I always thought it was 200! Well, I was at 217 when I signed-up... I guess I'll see what happens.

Are you on FB? If so, message Ken Mislin and ask him to add you to the pre-ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    got it... I wont be down there that early. will you pre ride the course on thurs or friday?

Is this thing on?
    I always thought it was 200 pounds. No matter, I'm 225 so a Clyde either way. As Dion said I'm getting a pre-ride together on March 17th. It'll be a Quadzilla/Team Social Pace/whoever wants to show up ride. I know its a bit of a drive from OR. I need to post it up in the Norcal forum for the non-Facebookers. I'd love to do another pre-ride before the race but my schedule is full. I'm going to be in Vegas for my anniversary until Wednesday, then going down to the Sea Otter Friday night. You might look on the Sea Otter or Norcal forums closer to the event. I'm sure you can find someone to hook up with for a pre-ride. They post the course route online so you can download it. Also, the course will probably be marked by then. Just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So Ken, I'm pretty sure I'm going to race Da' Hoppa 1X9... I don't *think* I'll need the granny with the 26" wheels and I seem to be handling the fireroads okay with it. I just want to be the quirkiest dude out there since I'm probably not going to be very competitive. I know you're going out with the fast bike to crush...

I am going to put new tubeless meats on, though. How do we get the team discount? Probably go with a Specialized Captain in the rear and something chunky in front.

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    So Ken, I'm pretty sure I'm going to race Da' Hoppa 1X9... I don't *think* I'll need the granny with the 26" wheels and I seem to be handling the fireroads okay with it. I just want to be the quirkiest dude out there since I'm probably not going to be very competitive. I know you're going out with the fast bike to crush...

I am going to put new tubeless meats on, though. How do we get the team discount? Probably go with a Specialized Captain in the rear and something chunky in front.
    If you want quirky, you are going to need a hamburger bell and a commuter mirror. The course maps are posted Volkswagen Sea Otter Classic - April 18-21, 2013 | Athlete Guide | Course Maps

As for crushing anyone, it ain't going to happen. I haven't been training like I should but hoping to ramp it up between now and the race. I'll be happy with equaling last years 12th place and over the moon with a top 10. But I'm in Cat 2 Clydes this year, going to be some very fast big men. Talk to Alex or Christunzo about the discounts. I went to Cognition to replace my helmet, great service and nice discount.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    my quads are huge can I join the team haha.... not very many trails are open here right now, so weekend rides and then spinning during the week, trying to just log as many miles as possible so I dont get crushed...

here is a question... a buddy is coming down with me on WED, can he pre ride the course with me on Thurs or friday? or would I need to enter him in the race?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    my quads are huge can I join the team haha.... not very many trails are open here right now, so weekend rides and then spinning during the week, trying to just log as many miles as possible so I dont get crushed...

here is a question... a buddy is coming down with me on WED, can he pre ride the course with me on Thurs or friday? or would I need to enter him in the race?
    I'm pretty sure you have to display your number to preride
    And yes, I am on my way to an ass kickin contest

Is this thing on?
    I don't think that's the case. Fort Ord is open to the public and I have never seen them close things for the Sea Otter. It certainly isn't going to be closed Thursday or Friday and no staff to monitor who is riding the course on those days. I'd just go ride it with your friends, I doubt anyone is going to say anything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Froride1 View Post
    I don't think that's the case. Fort Ord is open to the public and I have never seen them close things for the Sea Otter. It certainly isn't going to be closed Thursday or Friday and no staff to monitor who is riding the course on those days. I'd just go ride it with your friends, I doubt anyone is going to say anything.
    I don't know if they enforce the rules or not, but this is from the Sea Otter website:
    •Pre-Ride/Course Inspection is available on all courses beginning Wednesday, April 17 at 12 p.m.
    •Having your race number on your bike is required to pre-ride/inspect either of the courses.
    •Pre-ride/inspection times are as follows: ◦All Categories – Wednesday, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
    ◦All Categories – Thursday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m.
    ◦CAT 2 (intemediate) and CAT 3 (beginner) Category – Friday, 8 a.m. – noon
    ◦CAT 2 (intemediate) and CAT 3 (beginner) Category – Saturday, 8 a.m. – 12 noon and 3 p.m.- 6 p.m. Course is closed 12 p.m. to 3 p.m. for PRO XC races
    And yes, I am on my way to an ass kickin contest

Is this thing on?
    Interesting, I'm not sure who they are going to have out there directing traffic. I understand during the races but other than that it would be difficult to enforce. It is a big place with many trails. I have ridden the course in past years with no number without a problem. You won't be able to ride the start portion on the race track but once your out in Fort Ord.... I'd still just ride it with your friends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    guess we will just see.

I am pretty excited to head down, if any of you want to pre ride on thurs or friday let me know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    fro... where is that video you had, of the grand fondo ride of the xc course

Is this thing on?
    I think you are talking about this one. OCRider - Sea Otter Classic 2011 - YouTube

FYI: for any local Clydes looking to pre-ride. 2nd Annual Team Social Pace Sea Otter XC Pre-Ride, Sunday March 17th

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    wish I could make it down for the pre ride... not in the budget right now for a road trip. ill be down there the Wed before though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    that pre ride looked good on strava.... three good climbs, one that was .9 miles took 20 mins??

Is this thing on?
    Quote Originally Posted by shugarbear View Post
    that pre ride looked good on strava.... three good climbs, one that was .9 miles took 20 mins??
    There was a lot of stopping and BS'ing during the pre-ride. If you look at that climb again, there was 12 minutes of resting time, so the climb only took about 9 minutes. It's pretty dry and sandy out there now. It doesn't look like much rain any time soon so it might be very dry and sandy for the race.

Here is my race last year, it'll give you a better idea of the course and how long it'll take. A couple single track sections, trail 49, have been redone but other than that the course is the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    sounds good! hopefully we can grab a beer !

Is this thing on?
    Sounds good, I'm going to be walking around Saturday. If you're camping, lemme know where and I'll stop by. Or there is supposed to be a club area and Quadzilla will have a tent. I'll be hanging out there a bit too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    we will be camping... my buddy is bringing his toy hauler. should be a good time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast