mtbr member
    Jun 2013

New question here. Sanity check please. . .steering tube extender?

I bought a Rockhopper a couple months ago from my LBS. The guy at the LBS was awesome, and really the only one of 4 LBS's that really spent the time to figure out what frame size I needed, as opposed to selling me what they had on the floor.

I postponed my "new bike fit" until I could ride it and see what I needed focus on, and today I went in to buy a new saddle. The guy I bought from was out, but I worked with his brother, who is more my size. He tells me I should be riding a 21" frame, instead of the 19" his brother sold me. I told him the 19 felt better when I rode both over there, and he said "yea, but we can change the 21 up to make it ride better, with different stems, etc.". . .

So now I'm totally confused. He wants to do the "fit" tomorrow when I bring my bike in, and he's talking about adding pedal extenders, a steering tube extender, and a riser bar, to make me more upright.

Can someone tell me if this sounds like a good thing? I mean, I am riding mostly on the road at the moment, but do plan to do some trails at some point, and even some distance (20 miles or so). Do I want to be "more upright"? I suppose he scared me b/c he was showing me an old man saddle, and told me I needed that. I got a bit freaked out b/c now I might be on the wrong size frame, and I need to buy all these parts to make my bike fit.

I'll take it in and do the fitting, and I suppose I'll follow his recommendations. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to turn my mountain bike into some sort of beach cruiser that would suck on the trails, or on long rides.

Has anyone ever heard of adding a steering tube extender, and a riser bar? Will the bike still do what I want it to do?

Sorry. I know this is rambling, and confusing, but I'm a bit panicked by the possibility I've just dropped $1200 on a bike that's the wrong size, and I have to spend more money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    How tall are you? Age? Any flexibility / back problems?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    6' 0". 37, 290 lb. No real issues. My hands seem to go to sleep on longer rides, but that's about it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd say you were fine on a 19" frame myself. As for your hands going to sleep - a possible sign that you have too much of your weight on the bars, which might be that your bars are too low. However, that should be able to be sorted with a stem and riser bars, not steerer extenders.
    Go and see what they are talking about, but I'd say 19" is fine, and a change of stem and bars with more riser should be more than enough to raise the front end enough for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How upright do I want to be if I plan to do mostly road, with some trails, and decent distances? I guess that's my main concern. I don't want to set it up where it'll suck for what I want to do. I'd like a happy medium.

Thanks very much!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Upright enough for your hands not to go to sleep? Whatever is comfortable - there is no formula - people have different flexibility, reach etc.

Tyres will make more difference to speed and distance ability than bar height.

mtbr member
    Your hands going to sleep is troubling, but it doesn't sound like obviously too-small a frame. Bar height should be whatever makes you comfortable for the riding you want to do. I'd start with the bar 1" or so below the bars and work from there.

What's on there for a bar now? How much steerer to you have and how much above the stem. A Spec dealer shouldn't be charging you to make your bike fit vs stock...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The bar on there now is a 700mm wide, 10 backsweep, 4 upsweep, 31.8mm.

Going up there in a bit. I'll report back.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    OK. So I got a steering tube extender, and pedal extenders. It looks super fruity, but the guy was explaining to me it was something I'd need to get more distance. If I get more distance, I can lose more fat, and once I strengthen my core, and lose the fat, I lose the steering tube extender. So the humiliation will be motivation. ;-)

On the flip side, my hands won't be going to sleep anymore, and if you have wide hips, definitely get pedal extenders. They are absolutely fantastic!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your advice.

mtbr member
    I would have waited for both brothers to be there.
    Last edited by jimbowho; 08-03-2013 at 09:49 AM.