mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Same ol' question from another noob.

I've got $600 cash. I want to get back into riding. It's been almost 10 yrs. I'm 6'2 I weigh 270 +/-. I know I want a full rigid setup so I already plan to change out whatever fork it comes with. I also know that I will have to upgrade wheels soon. I will cross that bridge when it's time so wheels do not need to be budgeted into what I've got at the moment. So there's the basics...what would you get? go!

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by mdf26; 02-17-2013 at 11:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Single speed.

mtbr member
    I would save or steal another $200-300 and get either Civilian Luddite or 2011-2012 Kona Unit. I think my LBS was selling 2011 Kona for around $750 right before 2013 models were shipped. Frankly, I can't say much about Luddite as I've never ridden one or seen one in person, but the owners on the forum seem to be happy. Unit, on the other hand, I've abused the crap out of it and held up rather well (2010, I'm 220 lb). I upgraded my wheels at the end of last summer, and have been buying components to upgrade over the winter. I think hubs were just about to be done, but all the other components are still fine, I just wanted to make it stronger while saving some weight - stock unit comes with 2000 aluminum parts, replacing them with 7000 aluminums.
    Ghisallo Wheels

I'm really good looking.

mtbr member
    Mountain Bikes - 29er SingleSpeed - Dawes Deadeye

Dawes Bullseye. Single speed, rigid fork and steel just go together. It's $399 and one of the better deals at Bikes Direct.
    He who dares....wins!