mtbr member
    May 2013

Sage Advice or Just Wrong

I started riding last year. I purchased an alloy Giant Anthem 29x standard and rode it last fall without too much in the way of problems. This spring has been a different story. I crunched my front tire, blew out my rear hydraulic brake, broke a few chains, and am suffering a lot of flat tires.

Some friends who are experienced riders suggested that my Anthem is built for racing and a bit too fragile for my extra husky frame (6'3", 275lbs.) They suggested a Giant Reign or a Stumpjumper. I looked at both bikes and they are nice but expensive.

Is it worth the cost to switch bikes as they recommend or will the Anthem be okay and I have just hit a rough patch lately?

Any advice is appreciated.

mtbr member
    I don't really understand how any of this is the Anthem's fault. Sounds like you just hit a rough patch. This is really just the name of the game, bikes break, tires go flat...nowhere in this information is a problem relegated specifically to the Anthem not being suitable for your needs. Now if you just want a different bike, I can understand, I am kind of a bike whore myself.

mtbr member
    I have no idea what it means to "crunch" a tire, but none of the other failures you describe are the result of your weight. All the components you had fail are probably the same on the bigger bikes.

Broken chains are the result of shifting under load - loading the chain (most often I see them with mis-adjusted derailleurs, where it's effectively shifting even if you didn't mean it to). Flats... well that's just chit happening. Blowing out a brake... you'd have to be a bit more specific as to what happened... that's probably something external to the bike that caused it.

I'm not saying the Anthem is the best possible bike for someone our size, just that it isn't the cause of the problems you're having.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    None of those failures are due to the bike/frame. They are likely due to weak wheels that came with the bike stock and some bad luck with flats and chains. Chain breakage is often a sign of either poor maintenance or riding/shifting habits.

Again.... just to EMPHASIZE what I am saying.... The Anthem is NOT the problem.... you would very likely have these same problems on any other bike as they are more about bad luck than bad bike.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    what the other guys said... the parts you killed have been killed by people well under 200lbs... MTBing is hard on parts, things break :-/

my LBS in FL was big into GIANT bikes... I know they put a few riders your size on the bike without hesitation...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Super Clyde
    Not bike related, but I drove for 15 years with out ever having a flat tire on my car/truck/trailer, etc. I had 6 in one year. I didn't have anything to do with what I was driving, it was just bad luck. I agree that sometimes stuff just breaks. I had a shifter go for no good reason last week. It was fine when i put the bike away on Wednesday, and cracked in half when I got the bike out Thursday. The bike hangs 6 feet in the air so I have no idea how it happened.