Thread: saddles

mtbr member
    May 2009

saddles

hi, any larger riders have thougths on saddle selection, I have just bought a fairly skinny WTB saddle, this is causing some intimate chaffing, the last one was similar, has any one found the perfect comfortable saddle ?

thanks

saddlemeat
    The WTB PureV is pretty comfy. Some LBS have a special tryout set of all the WTB and other saddles. Trying it out on a ride is the best way to find one that fits well.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange5rob
    hi, any larger riders have thougths on saddle selection, I have just bought a fairly skinny WTB saddle, this is causing some intimate chaffing, the last one was similar, has any one found the perfect comfortable saddle ?

thanks

Believe it or not, a Brooks Team Professional would probably be the most comfortable for a clyde. I have a Team Professional on my IF 29er SS and a B17 on my CrossCheck. After the break in, they are the best saddles I have ever used

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Terry Fly for me. I think I tried eight or nine other saddles before the Terry Fly.

But, what works for me won't necessarily work for you. You just have to keep trying them until you find one that suits you.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    thanks for the responses, should have tried the forum before I purchased one, but the one I had fell apart so I went on the bike shop recomnedation

saddlemeat
    thanks for the responses, should have tried the forum before I purchased one, but the one I had fell apart so I went on the bike shop recomnedation
    Take it back, most shops will trade you for a different one. They want you to enjoy consuming their products.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

I'll take you there.
    Mar 2009
    I'm 315 lb, and I go for several hours on a Velo Plush without issues. I hated hard seats, even if bigger. Although I should mention I have not tried a single one of the seats mentioned above, I tried a hand-full at an LBS with names I cant remember... some on purpose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    For chaffing, I would recommend just getting some biking shorts. For being saddle sore, I would look into a cromoly steel rail saddle. I've heard good things about brooks and clydes, but I personally run a 155mm specialized avatar.

Get out and ride
    Sep 2003
    I have 6 different saddles on my bikes and been biking for a LONG time and do some long epic rides both mountain and road. If you have a set of good padded shorts, I don't think you are going to notice a whole lot from on saddle to another. Unless it's one of those super gel padded saddles. I'm about 230 -235 Pds, I have WTB (different models) on two of my mountain bikes and a Marco on a road bike, and 3 others I don't know the names of, of the top of my head. What you want is a good set of shorts with a good padding in them like, SWOBO Mink man shorts with liner. They are perfect for mountain riding, also the Buttercream is great protection from chaffing on those long rides.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks to every one for the comments, the saddle seems to be getting better, most likely my body is getting used to it, with regards to shorts I have a fairly decent pair of Briko bib shorts and some fox bagiies, but something better might be in order, the butter cream is an interesting point , one of my MTB buddies suggested Chomois cream which seems to be more aimed at Road riding, I am yet to try this because I keep forgetting to put some on.
    thanks

Rob