Thread: Saddle sores...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Saddle sores...

Hello. I have a personal problem. My bottom hurts when I cycle the 10 miles to work each way accross London. I am riding an XL Gary Fisher X-Caliber with the stock Bontrager saddle. Any advice for a more comfortable one would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    I am using WTB Laser Stealth Ti saddle on all my bikes and I am quite happy with them. There's a light year difference versus the stock ones that I have been using.

mtbr member
    No matter what saddle I use my butt hurts. I went and bought a set of shorts with a sewn in inner liner. I am wearing Canondale's. I also bought my wife a set of seperate inner liners for her to wear under her shorts.

The difference is incredible - IE no sore butt anymore
    :wq

Glad to Be Alive
    shorts with a sewn in inner liner.

get a new seat fast

if it still hurts they make this gel seat cover you can put over your seat
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for your help. I have just ordered something called a Love Seat which looks quite groovy (bit like a sofa apparently). That might be the cure....

mtbr member
    If you mean the Azonic love seat, I would have to say its not the best option. They arent particularly pedal friendly, and to get a truely comfortable and good fit you need to get your sit bones measured and get the seat with the same width.

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005

it worked for me...

this may sound crazy, but I have a Brooks B-17 on my Heckler. I am so comfy on it, I ordered another for my hardtail

mtbr member
    You could also try adjusting the angle of the saddle. My wife was still have a lot of pain even with the padded liners so I adjusted the angle of her seat down in the front and she says it made a world of difference. She actually likes riding her bike now
    :wq

NormalNorm
    What is the height from your saddle to your bars??? Hopefully it is within about 2" Also, the top tube/stem length is important, because you will be too stretched out if it is too long(your triceps and shoulders would be sore if it is too short) Also, if you have your saddle height wrong it can cause problems. I have found in my years of riding that it is not so much the saddle as much as the set up..........