Thread: Saddle Question

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Saddle Question

I have been riding my new Fisher HKEK for just over two weeks now, and my butt is feeling the pain. Should I just go ahead and replace the Bontrager saddle, or should I try to stick it out? I have not ridden for many years, so I can understand some initial discomfort. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    I got the HKEK 3 weeks ago & left the stock seat on to try - ouchie hoochie. After one hour on my second ride on the bike, my inner butt bones were hurting (female). The saddle is so hard & too long (my 16 yr old says men need the longer one - ? truth or how would she know) I replaced with a WTB seat. The saddle was second item on the HKEK I replaced after the pedals. Why not replace it @ min cost - plenty <$100 and make the body happy rrr:
    "Flat headed red rimmed socket-eyed stumpy legged B****"

Freshly Fujified

Replace it

Sage Sierra's advice is pretty sound. WTB makes some great saddles. Please keep in mind that if you're a new rider or haven't ridden in a while, it takes some time to get accustomed to a saddle. Nothing against Bontrager saddles, but her comment about the HKEK saddle being hard is probably true. Saddle preferences vary, and it could be that GF outfitted this bike with a saddle with minimum padding.

If I might make a recommendation, in addition with WTB, I've had luck with Selle Italia products. They tend to be on the expensive side, but for me, they have the right balance of width and padding. I just bought one of these, but have yet to try it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SELLE-ITALIA...QQcmdZViewItem

Best wishes in finding a good saddle.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery