mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Saddle Help: Beginner Clyde

I'm trying to find a better saddle for my Trek 3700. I'm guessing that the previous owner either commuted a lot on the bike or was female because I believe this is a female saddle:

Saddle Help: Beginner Clyde-img_20140623_144559_zps14adce21.jpg

It is a serfas e-gel and while very comfortable for use on the mag trainer, any time I get up out of the saddle it is so wide that it bothers my weight distribution. I can't throw my weight back without banging my thighs pretty good.

I get a great discount on WTB parts so I'm wondering if the PURE V Black would be a decent change? Are there any other models I should look at from WTB?

I'm 245lbs and my hips aren't that wide. I wear 36's on my hips most of the time (stupid spare tire...) but I'm not really sure how to measure for a saddle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Nothing to do with your hips or your waist - it's about where your sit-bones are!
    Find a local Specialized shop and see if they do saddle fitting. Some bike shops do loaner saddles to try out. Failing that, just buy one and ride it! If your discount is good you'll not lose much if you need to sell it on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I have a Lazer V and love it nice amount of padding not to wide and not that heavy

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can figure out what my sit bone measurements are. My LBS is a specialized dealer, but they charge $20 for saddle fitting... Guess that's what happens when they sell bikes less than MSRP :P

mtbr member
    $20? That's stupid. All you do is sit on a board that has a gel impression pad on it. Stand up and they measure the indentations. I'd find a different shop if they are charging $20 to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    I'm a huge wtb pure v fan. I'm 6'1 265 and its actually the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, with or without cycling shorts.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for that info tigris

Yea, the owner of the LBS makes all of his money on micro transactions. He sells bikes for a pretty large discount (cannondale trail 6s for $450) but he makes it all back being the only competent mountain bike store around. The other store is specifically over the counter road bikes with no on site mechanic.

I really like the look of the pure v. would you mind snapping a pic for size comparison? holding up a can or something near it so I can see the difference clearly from my current saddle.

turtles make me hot
    6'5", 255 pounds and lovin' my WTB Pure V.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well I pulled the trigger on a Pure V Race and a Pure V Comp. Got the both for $40 but have to wait two weeks for them to get here

turtles make me hot
    Sweet deal!
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yea, one amazing benefit of the company I work for. Next up is finding proper 26" tires to replace the horrible mongoose tires on the trek. I can get WTB or Kenda tires for $20-30 each but have no idea on what I'll need for beginning/intermediate singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

From one Clyde to another - Adamo ISM saddle. You're welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Gotta say the WTB Pure V is probably the most comfy saddle I've ridden. Have one on the 29er I share with my son. You can ride without bike shorts pain free. That said it does seem to "lock" you in place and I actually prefer my WTB Silverado as it's easy to move around on (and my son is wanting me to get another one).
    Bikes=Sanity

lover not a fighter
    Apr 2005
    I have a Brooks B17 on all my bikes... All of em

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

260# and I drank the Brooks Kool Aid. Glad I did too. The first 100 miles resembled sitting on a Medieval torture device, (actually it wasn't all that bad, I just like saying that)

But now I can ride for hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk