Thread: Saddle height

mtbr member

Saddle height

I have noticed looking at pix of people's rigs on here that everyone seems to ride with their seat post up quite a ways. Now when I was riding my old Giant 17" HT that is how it needed to be set up as well for me to ride comfortably. Now I am riding a Trek and my LBS pushed me into a 19.5" HT. It doesn't feel too bad but does feel a tad oversized to me.

Now I have fallen in love with a new Scott Scale 50 that the same shop carries. I am going to buy one of them. Hopefully at the end of next month. I have ridden both the large and medium, both feel good but the medium felt better to me. They are still kind of pushing me towards the large. Am I missing something? In the back of my mind the entire time I have owned my Trek I have been thinking it is too big. Maybe it is just something I am creating! Hopefully someone could shed some light and give me some advice!

BTW I am 6' tall 193 lbs and have a 34" inseam.

mtbr member
    You said yourself the medium feels better to you, so get the medium. I had the same dilemma with my most recent bike purchase, except it was small vs. medium. I ended up getting the smaller size because it is more flickable and easy to turn tight corners with, and I can reach the bars better. I have a short torso and long legs so I have a lot of seatpost extended, but it's worth it to me to have a bike I feel I can control better and with less effort. I had always felt my previous bike was too big too even though it was the size recommended to me. I'm much happier on the smaller bike.

The only cautionary advice I would give is to make sure you've test ridden the medium in a variety of situations so you're sure the bars aren't going to whack you in the knees, that you can shift your weight as far back and as far forward as you need to, etc. But if you've done that, just get what feels good to your freakish proportions! (just kidding heh heh)
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A girl from Seattle
    You said yourself the medium feels better to you, so get the medium. I had the same dilemma with my most recent bike purchase, except it was small vs. medium. I ended up getting the smaller size because it is more flickable and easy to turn tight corners with, and I can reach the bars better. I have a short torso and long legs so I have a lot of seatpost extended, but it's worth it to me to have a bike I feel I can control better and with less effort. I had always felt my previous bike was too big too even though it was the size recommended to me. I'm much happier on the smaller bike.

The only cautionary advice I would give is to make sure you've test ridden the medium in a variety of situations so you're sure the bars aren't going to whack you in the knees, that you can shift your weight as far back and as far forward as you need to, etc. But if you've done that, just get what feels good to your freakish proportions! (just kidding heh heh)
    Sounds like you might have the same freakish proportions!

Yeah I think that I might have a shorter torso like you do. I haven't tried shifting my weight front to back like that yet. I have just been able to ride them around the parking lot. My Giant was a medium too and it felt great. The saleswoman that I am working with said their concern would be if I have too much of my weight shifted forward on the bike. The medium pulls you farther down. But my thoughts on that are I am going to do a carbon fiber stem and bar on it anyway so I could adjust my ride by doing a riser. I think I will mentally be happier on the smaller bike too. It is probably all just in my head!