Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Saddle that doesnt bend

I hate to say this but I have broken/bent 2 saddles in the last six months. I am looking for any recommendations. I currently tip the scales at 255 lbs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pro Slacker
    Feb 2008
    @300# I ride a WTB Power V saddle. It has held up but my poor seatpost didn't LOL Time for a Thomson

Captain Underpants
    @ 260 I ride a Speccy Alias. How are you busting saddles?

PS that saddle in teh pic is crzap.

mtbr member
    +1 for WTB Power V Saddle @ 265 pound.
    Upgrade what you need, not what you Want.

mtbr member
    I'm no clyde, but I do seem to have a knack for bending saddle rails . . . I've trashed 3 saddles that way (1 chromoly, 2 Ti railed) and I only weigh ~ 160 lbs w/ gear. I'd suggest a carbon railed saddle (I've been using a Selle Italia Prolink lite the past 5 years)-- the carbon may fracture instead of bend, but most reputable builders tend to over-engineer their carbon stuff because of the potential for catastrophic failure, so you end up with a saddle that will break at a significantly higher stress than the yield stress for a metal railed saddle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant607
    @300# I ride a WTB Power V saddle. It has held up but my poor seatpost didn't LOL Time for a Thomson
    +1 I was using this when I was 350+. No worries there for you.

mtbr member
    WTB POWER V all the way! I'm 270, it's the only saddle I have never broken (knock on wood). Very comfortable too. you gotta get a thomson seatpost too, they should be compulsory for all clydes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Get a saddle with steel rails. I used to break Ti rails all of the time. I've ridden steel rails all the way up to 270 lbs and never had a problem. The added bonus is that you can find steel rail saddles online cheap if you keep your eyes open. I've used various WTB steel rail saddles over the years and all have held up fine. I've bent seatposts and the saddles have been just fine.

mtbr member
    Another for the WTB Power V . I weigh 300 no problems what so ever,
    I will never forget my fallen brothers 03-07-08
    Isler and Monroe R.I.P.

SS XC Junkie
    +1 for the Power V. I'm 250lbs, and my brother is 280lbs and we both use the Power V.

From the pictures of the seats you bent, it seems you like padding on your saddle. If that's what you like do NOT get a Fizik! They are supposed to be heavy duty but after testing a Gorbi I believe Fizik's are heavy duty because those who own them must ride standing. I don't understand how anyone can ride on a shaved piece of 2x4 but to each their own....

bike rider
    Those seats in the pics are pretty chintzy. Almost any quality saddle should hold up better. I really like the Titec El Norte. Nice shape and feel and rails that are designed to hold up to DH abuse.
    Keep the Country country.

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    i'm currently have great luck with my I-beam setup and I'm running that lightest SDG belair saddle on it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I broke 3 saddles already in 1 year, had the WTB Power V for a few months now and no problems. The rails are noticable bigger and it seems very strong. I just wish the seat was a bit smaller, it is a bit more difficult to get behind the seat now on steep descents.

mtbr member
    At 210lbs. I can trash most saddles, but I have been loving my Terry Firefly w/flames. Very comfortable and I ride a hardtail only.

bike rider
    +1 for the I-beam. It's too bad more companies aren't making posts for it.
    Keep the Country country.

29 some of the time...
    Biggest improvement in seat rail durability came with my transition over to full suspension bikes

BMX or DH saddles are going to be a far better bet than the comfort saddle you show there.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

thread killer
    ditto on the WTB saddles.
    I'm at 300 and have ridden a lazzer v for 3 years with no problems. my new bike has a speed v I'm not sure what the differance is but it's just as comfey as my older one.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Another vote for WTB saddles. I'm just under 270 and my rocket V's on both my bikes have held up fine. I have a Thompson on one and a thudbuster on the other.

S-Mart's Top of the Line
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant607

I actually ride a Power V on a thompson...it's bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    +1 again for the Power V!

mtbr member
    I just got the Power V, thanks to this thread. So far I'm very happy with it. I was afraid that it would be too big and uncomfortable, however it's about the same width as my old Specialized saddle and only a little longer. I've only had one ride on it so far, but already it feels way more solid. At ~270lbs I could always feel my old saddles flexing beneath me, even when they were brand new. That is not the case thus far with the Power V!

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    seems no one mentioned this... your saddle is to far back... it's putting A LOT of stress on the rails...

is your frame to small? are you getting proper K.O.P's with current position? if you're saddle was further forward on the rail it would be a lot harder for the rail to fold in 1/2 like that... if the fit is right then you need a further setback seatpost...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm 285 and am pretty hard on my ride. I had a Specialized Alias, and bent it within 5 rides. Specialized sent me an Avatar gratis and it's been fine. I've put tons of miles on it and its still straight as a board in the rails. Do your butt a favor too, and get sized for the width of the saddle. It comes in three widths.

mtbr member
    I'm 240 and I LOVE THIS SADDLE!

SDG Formula FXR (Solid Ti Rails)

Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Wow i must ride like a wimp! ive had two different bikes in the past four years and have never bents a post or seat rail. i was 380lbs last dec and now im 360 and i ride mostly single track trails with lots of roots and rocks. maybe i just stand more than most???????????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast