Tigers love pepper...

RST Omni 191 Shock "sticking"

OK, I know it's not meant for Clyde use (230).... but I didn't know better when I bought it. I noticed the other night when riding around the block that it's sticking. Compresses but doesn't bounce back fully. It will if I pull up on the bars.

I "wiped down" the dirty upper area of the shocks. I'm going for a ride tonight so I'll see if it continues.

Only had it since March, but put a lot of miles on it already.

Is it toast already?

Former Bike Wrench
    It needs servicing...should be super easy on that POS (sorry...sad but true). Just pull the wheel off and remove the brakes (brake arm with cable attached or brake caliper if disc). There should be two bolts on the bottom of the legs of the fork, remove bolts and pull the lowers off the forks. Clean the inside of the lowers and the upper (stanchion) tubes. Use a light grease and apply large quantities to the inside of the lower legs around the bushing areas. Put everything back together and you should be good to go.

Tigers love pepper...
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. Any recommendations on type of grease? Something I find at the LBS or like an automotive grease?

Former Bike Wrench
    I would recommend bicycle suspension specific grease...Buzzy's Slick Honey, Manitou Prep M, or SRAM Butter (Judy Butter) are all good.

29 some of the time...
    Automotive grease is bad for shocks. Okay for bearings, but too sticky for forks seals. There are many lubes specifically for lubricating seals. In a pinch, and a cheap fork for that matter, white lithium grease can work or even a heavy oil like 15wt suspention fluid.
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    hope it's not too late..what about the park tool grease?? i have these forks and they are stiff as hell in a pogo stick kinda way. What do you clean the lowers and tubes with?? rubbing alcohol?? zep mixed down with a little water citrus degreaser?? i wann do this soon to hopefully make my POS a little smoother.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    just wipe down the inside with some cleaner, doesnt need to be spotless. i think park grease would be fine, i find the park grease to be pretty light

mtbr member
    thanks ....i have some 7.5w fork oil, so after i lube whatever rubber i see with a little park grease would it make sense to throw a little fork oil in there?? and if so how much?