mtbr member

RS Reba issues for big guys?

I am 6'4" 240#. Anyone my size have any issues running a RS Reba 29er?

What pressures / set up you running?
    Mind your own religion.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    I had an '08 Reba fail on me last season. I thought it was because I was running it at the top end of the recommend pressures. Turns out the compression damper was faulty and leaking oil. The fix was to get the damper replaced .

Not sure if that helps, but I was at 230 ready to ride back then and haven't had an issue with it since.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Were there any external indications of leaking oil? I have 2 rides on my new Reba and after each ride there are oil rings on the legs.

I have read elsewhere this is common when breaking in seals. Wondering if that is true or if I might have a defective shock, or if I am just too heavy for it.
    Mind your own religion.

Never enough time to ride
    I'm sitting at 230 lbs and have been riding a 2008 reba most of the summer and before that I believe I had a 2005. I haven't had any issues with either of them, no abnormal flex or weirdness with the dampers. As far as setting go I believe I'm running 165 psi in the positive chamber and 155 or 160 in the negative, I've got it written down at the shop some where.

The oil rings will be normal for a while, but if they persist or get worse then it's time to take the fork in. Make sure you wipe that off after a ride too. And as far as the comp damper goes if it has a leak it will usually come out of the top cap just under the Lock out or through the Floodgate knob, you'll know it if you have a leak.

happy trails...

squish
    Get out and ride!

Big B's Trails
    Im also 6'4" 230# and I'm running my fork at +135 & -138/140, yep you read that right a lil higher in the negative side... this thread in suspension explains why...way better than I ever could...
    Help dialing Reba
    All I can say is I am much happier than before
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    I'm sitting at 230 lbs and have been riding a 2008 reba most of the summer and before that I believe I had a 2005. I haven't had any issues with either of them, no abnormal flex or weirdness with the dampers. As far as setting go I believe I'm running 165 psi in the positive chamber and 155 or 160 in the negative, I've got it written down at the shop some where.

The oil rings will be normal for a while, but if they persist or get worse then it's time to take the fork in. Make sure you wipe that off after a ride too. And as far as the comp damper goes if it has a leak it will usually come out of the top cap just under the Lock out or through the Floodgate knob, you'll know it if you have a leak.

happy trails...

squish
    Yep after a few rides I am running almost identical pressures. How often do you have to add air?
    Mind your own religion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Im also 6'4" 230# and I'm running my fork at +135 & -138/140, yep you read that right a lil higher in the negative side... this thread in suspension explains why...way better than I ever could...
    Help dialing Reba
    All I can say is I am much happier than before
    Interesting stuff Fred - reading that thread now, will try to go ride this afternoon with your set-up and I will let you know how it works. Thanks for teh link.
    Mind your own religion.

Damn Fool
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PoisonDartFrog View Post
    Were there any external indications of leaking oil? I have 2 rides on my new Reba and after each ride there are oil rings on the legs.

I have read elsewhere this is common when breaking in seals. Wondering if that is true or if I might have a defective shock, or if I am just too heavy for it.
    Yes there were oil rings at first, but on mine the compression damper would actually have a thin film of oil on it before being replaced.

I actually only rode it for another three hours after I got it fixed. The rigid fork I used on the interim proved to be just too much fun! Good luck with dialing in the fork.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    It's not about being better than others, it's about getting the best out of myself.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I am running a 2010 reba rlt ti at 145psi +/- I am about 200 pounds. No problems yet but my lockout doesn't feel that firm. I am going to try a oil change to see if that changes it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    240lbs here and I've got a Reba RLT 29'er. Using 140 psi in the positive chamber and 155 psi in the lower. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Reba 2010 Team. Weigh 255. Have to run 165/150. Still not perfect and keep fussing. Just bought a different fork because I find the Reba finicky for my taste. Some days, I seriously just want to go full rigid and leave suspension behind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestatevirgin View Post
    Reba 2010 Team. Weigh 255. Have to run 165/150. Still not perfect and keep fussing. Just bought a different fork because I find the Reba finicky for my taste. Some days, I seriously just want to go full rigid and leave suspension behind.
    I hear you. Considering going to a carbon rigid fork. However, I like the fact that teh sus fork does seem to help fatigue, and I do feel like I ride faster over certain obstacles
    Mind your own religion.