mtbr Buckeye...in Austin

RR....roadie related, but we're Clydes, I gotta ask

Who here rides road and why?

What frames do you ride and how big do they come?

I'm 6'6", 265 (normal proportions) and love my customed 29er full squishy.
    I'm a bit leary on fit on a roadie bike and wonder who would make something big enough and not too clown-ish that won't snap.

But living in Austin, everyone also has a roadie bike and I live near some great rides and routes. My buddies can't wait to draft off my big ass.

I've also heard and seen that it's a great way to drop some weight and improve bike fitness and mtn biking. Also nice to ride after rains or on days I can't make it to the trail, etc.

Just worried about fit and sizes...

I've seen sevencycles has a 67cm frame with 63.9 cm TT (but that's only 25.15 inches).

frame specs

My 29er TT, which is different, I know, is 25.5"). I don't want to be cramped. Do I? I'm no roadie and don't know squat about them. Just starting to research them.

Colnago has a 65cm , but just like Seven, CRAZY PRICEY. Super sexy though.
    Built up some crazy rigs on wrenchscience.com. Laughed at the sub 15 lbers.
    But their TT is only 59.2 cm....AUGH!!!

Trek has the build your own Madone thing, but they only come to a 64 cm frame. not sure if they go bigger than that, and I'm sure that comes at a cost. But they're sexy too.

Serotta has some, but seem pricey as well, not sure on size or weight limits...

How scary is Carbon for guys our size and weight?

I don't want to break the bank but don't want a bike that will break.

Anyone else struggle or overcome this delimma?

Your advice, information, suggestions appreciated

Thanks,
    Erik

mtbr member
    First, I would say get out to a few bike shops and get on a as many bikes as possible. I'm 6'8", and I didn't think I'd find a bike that would fit me. I got on a Trek 1.5 that was a 64cm, and I was so stretched out I could barely reach the shifters. The LBS put an 80mm stem on to shorten it up, but it just didn't feel right for me. I found that 61cm and 62cm frames fit me best, but everyone has a different build. I wear a 36" inseam on my pants, but I really have a 35" inseam. My Fuji Roubaix has a 34" standover, and it feels perfect to me. My bike has a carbon fork and seatstays, but I don't worry about breakage. I worry about the wheels, but that's it. I've only had the bike a few weeks and already broke a couple of spokes, and I weigh less than you at 235lbs. I was hoping to not have to upgrade the wheels until next spring, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Overall, I'm glad to have a road bike. I really like the speed that comes with it.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    First, I would say get out to a few bike shops and get on a as many bikes as possible. I'm 6'8", and I didn't think I'd find a bike that would fit me. I got on a Trek 1.5 that was a 64cm, and I was so stretched out I could barely reach the shifters. The LBS put an 80mm stem on to shorten it up, but it just didn't feel right for me. I found that 61cm and 62cm frames fit me best, but everyone has a different build. I wear a 36" inseam on my pants, but I really have a 35" inseam. My Fuji Roubaix has a 34" standover, and it feels perfect to me. My bike has a carbon fork and seatstays, but I don't worry about breakage. I worry about the wheels, but that's it. I've only had the bike a few weeks and already broke a couple of spokes, and I weigh less than you at 235lbs. I was hoping to not have to upgrade the wheels until next spring, but I don't think that's gonna happen.

Overall, I'm glad to have a road bike. I really like the speed that comes with it.
    Nice. I'm sure the fit on a roadie is totally different, just know how TT affected me on my 26er.

Good to hear on the 62 or 64 cm frames. I can rent those in town. Didn't think they'd be big enough.

Serotta can custom whatever size I need, but it comes at a co$t.

I'd like to rent a few and see what I like/don't like fit on/don't, etc.

So many options and miles/hills for the riding here in Austin.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    I guess I'm also forgetting that on a roadie you have to lean out PAST the head tube....duh!

I'm 6'6" with 36" pants as well.
    Not leggy, not torsoy...

Be neat to see what I can find to ride and try out....

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's certainly a different riding position, but I like it. Although, if you plan on just cruising you may want a more upright position than me. I got my bike to train hard so I like a more racey riding position. Not sure what you're looking for, but I'm assuming you wouldn't mind a racey position considering the bikes/frames you listed above. A pic of my bike.

Vittoria Diamante Pro

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I'm 6' 5" and about the same weight and ride a 63cm Cannondale. It's plenty siff/strong. I would just stay away from the inexpensive lightweight frames and you should be fine.

I remember testing a Performance house brand bike and watching the bottom bracket flopping back and forth like a wet washrag as I pedaled (yuck!). Most of the popular brands should have something in the right size range without being 'clown sized'.

Just because a bike has carbon stays or a decent amount of carbon in other places doesn't necessarily make it a nice riding frame. I have tested a $5K titanium/carbon frame road bike that about beat me to death. Then again, I got to ride a Merlin Cielo that was pure bliss. Point being, there are some generalizations that tend to be true, but not necessarily absolutes. Consider them all individually.

Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    PREACH IT BROTHER!
    exactly the same here...

That said, having worked in a Serotta dealer, they make KILLER frames.
    I'd go to a Serotta dealer and get on one of their "size cycles" and get the full treatment. I am 6'5" and fit nearly exactly the same set up at a 6'2" buddy when we got a clinic on the size cycle. I guess my height is all in my head and neck...

Once you have that done then you can go to any custom builder to build your frame if you go that route, or at the very least you can check "stock" frames and compare them to your needs.
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Curtlo

Check out Curtlo Cycles, custom steel, great prices.

I am 6'8" and 240lbs. I have a custom frame / touring / commuting bike coming from Doug. He has been good to work with. It has been a bit of a wait, but everyone who has one says it was worth it. When I get the bike, I'll post pictures and details.

bigE

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    PREACH IT BROTHER!
    exactly the same here...

That said, having worked in a Serotta dealer, they make KILLER frames.
    I'd go to a Serotta dealer and get on one of their "size cycles" and get the full treatment. I am 6'5" and fit nearly exactly the same set up at a 6'2" buddy when we got a clinic on the size cycle. I guess my height is all in my head and neck...

Once you have that done then you can go to any custom builder to build your frame if you go that route, or at the very least you can check "stock" frames and compare them to your needs.
    sounds like the plan of attack for me.

I'll get the serotta fit test and measurements and see how it plays out.

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    I'm 6' 5" and about the same weight and ride a 63cm Cannondale. It's plenty siff/strong. I would just stay away from the inexpensive lightweight frames and you should be fine.

I remember testing a Performance house brand bike and watching the bottom bracket flopping back and forth like a wet washrag as I pedaled (yuck!). Most of the popular brands should have something in the right size range without being 'clown sized'.

Just because a bike has carbon stays or a decent amount of carbon in other places doesn't necessarily make it a nice riding frame. I have tested a $5K titanium/carbon frame road bike that about beat me to death. Then again, I got to ride a Merlin Cielo that was pure bliss. Point being, there are some generalizations that tend to be true, but not necessarily absolutes. Consider them all individually.
    Who makes the inexpensive lightweight frames I should avoid?

Have a few options in town, which is nice.

Don't want to break the bank and would like to get something I will like, use, abuse.

I'd like to research some part options, suggestions?

Why do people get the ubber thin, time trial looking wheels. Not for your typical road rider, I'm assuming. Do you all have multiple sets of wheels or something.

I'm flying blind, as I know nothing about Road parts, etc.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Decided on getting a road bike last year so I can ride with my roadie friends at work and do some charity rides.

A sharp looking Scott Speedster S60 in 61c (I'm 6'4 and ride XL Fisher 29er) at my LBS caught my attention and the fit was good. Paid $400+ (my current 29er wheelset cost more) and quite happy with it. I replaced the skiny saddle with the same Titec saddle I have on my MTB and installed Time Alium pedals (Atacs on the MTB). I'll upgrade components as I break them.

Also, it's fun reading up and learning roadie stuff.

Good luck with your quest,
    Hans

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Quote Originally Posted by Oragun
    Decided on getting a road bike last year so I can ride with my roadie friends at work and do some charity rides.

A sharp looking Scott Speedster S60 in 61c (I'm 6'4 and ride XL Fisher 29er) at my LBS caught my attention and the fit was good. Paid $400+ (my current 29er wheelset cost more) and quite happy with it. I replaced the skiny saddle with the same Titec saddle I have on my MTB and installed Time Alium pedals (Atacs on the MTB). I'll upgrade components as I break them.

Also, it's fun reading up and learning roadie stuff.

Good luck with your quest,
    Hans
    It's kinda fun to be a newbie again

A lot to read and learn and sift thru for sure.