mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Roto SABB bottom bracket

I was wrong about this choice, the cup failed after 350 miles and now I'm trying to get the broken part out of my frame. Luckily I was able to limp back home. I'll use the ones that came with the Saint crank but those are aluminum as well, hope they hold up better.

Anyone else have a cup completely fail? Does anyone make a steel cup?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I talked with customer service today at Roto and they have already sent out a replacement set with just my word that I had a failure. I agreed to send back the failed part so they can evaluate the root cause. I was very pleased with the response.

I measured up the wall thicknesses of the original Saint bearing cup and compared it to the Roto part and as I expected its quite a bit thinner because of the extra part needed to create the swivel bearing. I think it's a great idea having the bearings be self aligning, my bottom bracket was dead silent, until it failed of course. I think if they made the cup out of a stronger material to make up for the loss in wall thickness they would have the best bottom bracket going.

I'll offer to test a new cup made from another material if I can get them to see the need for it. Wish me luck.