Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Roll Call: How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?

830K views 3K replies 2K participants last post by  socalrider77 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's me, 225lbs buck naked after my mornin' constitutional (simmer down, not in the photo):

Here's my last bike:

See less See more
#405 ·
I'm not a clydesdale, I'm just fat!

5' 7" 298 down from 325. I used to have a Giant mtb about 10years ago, it got stolen and about that time I found the internet and haven't done much else :(
I ran into a friend of mine I haven't seen for a while that runs a bike shop in Fla. and talkin to him about the old bmx days got me jonsin' for a bike & to get in shape! quit smoking 1 month ago I've been walking 5 miles a day. One good thing about the internet it brought me here! I have been reading so much of your stories & its a great motivation.Ihaven't decided on a bike yet, but I'm leaning towards the Kona Hoss.

#408 ·
I'm 6' 2" and around 210, last time I checked. Didn't know I fit into this category.

Started out with a Trek 3700 but found after two broken rear axles, stripped cranks, and wrapping the rear derailuer around the rear axel, I needed something beefier, so I went out and got me a Giant AC.

Rode the Giant for two rides and wound up on DL after the second ride. Itchin to get back. I am keeping the Trek for riding with the family and contemplating buying a used hardtail, maybe a Kona Hoss if I can one.

Attachments

#409 ·
I'm 6' and 215lbs. I used to ride a ton back 6 years ago or so when i was about 175lbs.

I just dug the bike back out a week ago, and am already full swing back into cross country riding, loving every second. I'm determined to get back down to the 185 range.

The bike is a '95 Fuji Discovery with a *gasp* '95 model Judy XC fork and cantilever brakes (canti-who??) and mostly Deore XT components from back when XT meant 8spd. Its a great bike, but its in dire need of a fork upgrade! The elastomers dry rotted in their 6 year hibernation and now every bump i hit bottoms it out.

#410 ·
fatties on bikes...some people just don't get it

6' 0" and 245
I ride a stumpjumper fsr comp in the woods, an old raleigh on the street, and a kona stab
on the downhills.

I ride with a bunch of guys who all weigh 150 wet with all of their gear on. Everytime we would go to a cross counrty race, I would ask if they had a clydsdale race and one thime the girl said that there was no prize's in that group. I said do I look like I would win a prize?
I was just looking for a better placement.

One of my buddies finally figured out what I was going through on the hard climbs when he asked me what I weighed. It was the equivelant of him climbing the hill with his 59 lb downhill bike on his back. Now I just here how good I ride for a fat guy.

I don't mind, because riding with guys who are better than you and supportive of you only makes you better.

Ride on tubbies, because I'm not stopping.
Jamie
south jersey

#416 · (Edited)
Big Chipper said:
I'm 6'4" and 225lbs. I decided a couple of months back to dust of the old K2 4000 and get to ridin' again. I've got some buddies who are either big and slow like me or new to riding, so I'm having fun again. I'm going to cut off Mexican food, beer, and bourbon and concentrate on getting back to 220.
Since this thread reply, I've lost 9 lbs. by limiting my calories, cutting out alchohol except for weekends, and riding a lot. I'm riding about 30 miles per week on some pretty technical local trails that really give me a good workout. I can tell a huge difference in my stamina since I started all this 7 weeks ago. Hoping to drop another few pounds and get down to my goal of 200 (so I can still claim clydesdale status ).

#419 ·
miniclyde

I'M JUST SNEEKIN IN THERE AT 225-230 LBS AT 6'-0" I'M RIDIN' A LARGE FRAMED SANTACRUZ HECKLER WITH THE 5TH ELEMENT COIL AND A FOX VANILLA 125 RLC UP FRONT. IT DOES IT ALL TRAIL, ROAD(LOCKED OUT), URBAN, BEACH, RACE, ETC. TAKES A LICKIN' AND KEEPS ON TICKIN'........IT'S ME PROOF, ESPECIALLY WITH MY RIDING STYLE................YOU KNOW, POINT AND BASH! :eek:

#420 ·
I'm 6 foot and 210lbs without gear.
My bike is a Jamis Dakar XLT set up for "cross country" Clydesdale style.
Its got Sun Rhyno Lites, XT disc hubs, 2mm DT spokes and a LX Hollowtech II crankset.
My "XC" tires are; Maxxis 2.35 Hansventures in the single ply 60 compound.

#422 ·
5'11 210. Down from 260 since I started riding 2 years ago. Shooting for 190.

My ride is a Haro Extreme X2 with all the bolt on goodies. Shimano Saint components. (Brakes, Derailers, rear hub, bla bla) Marzocchi All Mountain SL and Crank Brothers Mallet C pedals.

Attachments

#423 ·
I donnow, I'm pretty big.

I am 6' 3" and hover around the north end of 270 most of the time. I have been riding for 14+ years at this size now. I ride about three days a week at an average of 8.5 mph through our 4 and 5 star trails in my state (SC.) I ride a 2001 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, S works model. I have done quite a few upgrades to the bike along the way. I have upgraded the wheels, head set, stem, carbon bars, seat (it is a personal thing), and other smaller items.
One question for you bigger guys. I am having a problem my Fox Float RC. About two miles in to my average ride (small to medium drops & high frequancy bumps) I lose most of my air pressure. I have serviced the seals and submerged the shock at full pressure (265 lbs) and it is not leaking (no bubbles.) What to do? Is the shock just too light-weight?