Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2405
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ELQ View Post
    Okay, good to know. As this will be my first MTB, I will use it mainly for riding to work and for recreational easy XC riding. No heavy/hard stuff though. I was also considering the Felt Nine -series but Trek offers bigger frame sizes. Kona also seemed to have only 21" frames.

3 years ago, i bought a Specialized Hardrock, which in many ways, is a virtually identical bike in spec, fit and mission. l wanted to get into XC riding, as well improve my overall fitness. The upshot is that because the bike actually fit me, (i haven't had a bike that fit properly since before i was a teen) l really got into riding, even more than i expected. When l actually rode proper trails, however, my first experience left me thinking that perhaps mountain biking wasn't for me. Much of that impression had a lot to do with the bike- the fork, in particular, which was under sprung, with not much damping. Anything more than a light bump was somewhat terrifying.

l did persevere, however, and eventually became rather adept at riding singletrack. The more l rode, though, the more i discovered the shortcomings of the bike and components. in my first 6 months, i broke several chains, pedals, a derailleur, wore out the bottom bracket & cranks, taco-ed a set of rims, changed the bars & grips etc. While the warranty covered much of the cost, at the end of the 1st season of riding, l'd spent enough $ on service and parts to buy a $1500 XC bike, except i was still stuck with a $550 bike that was only slightly better than a hybrid. The next season, i bought a better bike and found that not only had the durability improved, my enjoyment of the experience increased, as well. l'm now in my 3rd season of mountain biking, as well as my 4th bike, l've finally built a bike that i plan to keep for several seasons, that has quality components that will last. My main takeaway from buying a $550 (410) bike is, that if you're actually going to ride it a lot, a bargain bike is no bargain. lf you do get the X-calibur, get the 9 and purchase the Trek Care extended warranty if it's available. l promise you will not regret the extra s.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

ELQ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Re: Roll Call: How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    3 years ago, i bought a Specialized Hardrock, which in many ways, is a virtually identical bike in spec, fit and mission. l wanted to get into XC riding, as well improve my overall fitness. The upshot is that because the bike actually fit me, (i haven't had a bike that fit properly since before i was a teen) l really got into riding, even more than i expected. When l actually rode proper trails, however, my first experience left me thinking that perhaps mountain biking wasn't for me. Much of that impression had a lot to do with the bike- the fork, in particular, which was under sprung, with not much damping. Anything more than a light bump was somewhat terrifying.

l did persevere, however, and eventually became rather adept at riding singletrack. The more l rode, though, the more i discovered the shortcomings of the bike and components. in my first 6 months, i broke several chains, pedals, a derailleur, wore out the bottom bracket & cranks, taco-ed a set of rims, changed the bars & grips etc. While the warranty covered much of the cost, at the end of the 1st season of riding, l'd spent enough $ on service and parts to buy a $1500 XC bike, except i was still stuck with a $550 bike that was only slightly better than a hybrid. The next season, i bought a better bike and found that not only had the durability improved, my enjoyment of the experience increased, as well. l'm now in my 3rd season of mountain biking, as well as my 4th bike, l've finally built a bike that i plan to keep for several seasons, that has quality components that will last. My main takeaway from buying a $550 (410) bike is, that if you're actually going to ride it a lot, a bargain bike is no bargain. lf you do get the X-calibur, get the 9 and purchase the Trek Care extended warranty if it's available. l promise you will not regret the extra s.
    Thanks for the advice man. I understand the price and quality aspects but the X-caliber 9 might be a little much for my price range, it retails around 1000 :P

Sent from my SGN

ELQ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Hey tall riders, does anybody have any experience with Cube Analog 29"? I found this to be one potential alternative for Trek X-Caliber and Specialized Rockhopper..

Sent from my SGN

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-2014-07-31-20.26.25.jpg My hardrock against hard rock pic lol Well I'm 6'1 and was 318lbs a month and half ago, 303lbs today I attribute half a pound of my weight to my ZZ Top beard lmao, got my xl '14 specialized hard rock disc se 29er month and half ago. Hard to drink beer and smoke as many cigarettes when riding, seems to working in my favor in that trade off lol working on the permanently not smoking thing now, cut back half already and notice difference. And I'm finding more and more closer places to ride which makes riding more convenient for me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    How you doing fellas, just signed up to this forum and have a couple of things to ask. I'm 6 foot, 420 pounds and looking to drop this weight once and for all. Came back from the bike store and they recommended that I start off with a Cannondale trail 6 26er, I asked why not the 29er and he said the 26er should be good plus the 29er wheels flexes more (don't know what that means). The 26er is on sale for $550 and the 29er for $670, should I go with the trail 6 and if so which one, 26er or 29er? Whichever one I buy, I plan on changing the seat and pedals. Thanks in advance and can't wait to contribute more here

mtbr member
    I am 6'3" Right after Christmas I was 260 A few minutes ago I weighed in at 225.2 after eating supper.
    I have ridden off 35 pounds on my Jamis Trail X 3.0 In the last four weeks I have ridden over 100 miles.
    Diet, portion control, & exercise. The three keys to weight loss.

mtbr member

We the people ...

Hey Rail,
    I laid out route in my neighborhood that's about 5.5 miles. I rode it in 21:41 Thursday night. That's 3 mph faster than I ever have.
    Average speed, 15 mph.
    Last night I rode 9.8 miles in 42:36 at 13.8 mph average. Push yourself to beat your previous speed and or distance.
    You don'thave to ride trails to get in the miles & progress. My road rides have strengthened my legs & improved my cadence so I could power through some of the climbs today that I couldn't make last week.
    Small victories win the war. Sweat is fat crying & pain is fear leaving your body.
    You can do it. I know you can from what you already posted. Move forward, always forward.

mtbr member
    well another bike followed me home.... still 108kg(238lb)

Commencal Meta 5.5 2011(? the guy was a little unsure i am hoping its not a 2009 frame) model

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hello Gentlemen, First time poster short time reader!
    I stumbled across the forums a while back doing some searches for some unrelated bike stuff. I believe that I qualify as a Clydesdale as I'm 52yrs and currently 6'1" @ 236lbs down from 337lbs and shooting for 200lbs.
    I ride an older (2005?) Giant Yukon and I just bought a Giant Talon 29'r, I haven't done much trail riding but have some off road under my belt. I've just located some really nicely built trails near where I'm currently working and hope to be able to hit them soon.
    Lots of beginner questions to follow I'm sure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice, New member here, I'm down to 165lbs, from about 185 last winter, but I'm a pretty small frame person, so I'm still "a little extra" - Eating just a little better, a little less beer, and a little more bike riding has gotten me into a bit better shape this summer, and I'd like to keep it up. I'm still pretty young (just turned 31) but I know that the 30-40 year range is when metabolism slows down and it gets harder and harder to keep in good shape and stay thin, so I figure, nows my last chance where this will still be "easy" rather than gain another 10 I'd like to lose another 10lbs so I better keep biking.

So, anyone in and around south-east / south central PA that wants to go for a bike ride! I'm in if I can!

I ride a Raleigh M80, with a few upgrades, and an I-Zip e3 Dash when I want to get there faster.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Nice, New member here, I'm down to 165lbs, from about 185 last winter, but I'm a pretty small frame person, so I'm still "a little extra"
    I'm sorry, how are you a Clyde?
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I also am a new member. I am 6'2 350lbs, and 40yrs old. I started riding again about 3 weeks ago. I have been riding a friends Motobecane 26" which has been nice, but still makes me feel like a Grizzly on a kids trike. I have narrowed my first purchase down to a Trek x-caliber 9 or Cannondale SL 29 2.

Just want to say thanks to all that post on the forum, and that this Clyde forum has been very informing and getting me back on a bike. Thanks.

ELQ
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

New bike!

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-cube.jpg
    CUBE Analog 29" with 29" wheels.

Just got my new bike yesterday, I'm 110kg / 200cm, with inseam about 94-95cm. WUUP WUUP!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I am 5'8" and 315 Riding a diamondback mason comp. I would post a pic but new to forums and haven't learned yet haha

dadamamabooboo
    I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs. Just had to post here since I only had 1 post until now. Wish I had more expertise to offer this forum, but I do know my own height and weight with little thought needed.
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er 21", SRAM 10-sp X9, X9 type 2 RD, SRAM X7 20(oval)/36 & SRAM X9 2X FD, Shimano XT M771 11-36, M525 hub

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm 5'11" - 310 lbs (down from 360) and just turned 32. Haven't been on a bike for about 10 years until I dug my old Diamondback Response Sport from '94 out of the garage this spring. Threw some Serfas Drifters on it and started hitting the road and stone trails, the trails started calling my name again. I went out and bought a 2015 Giant Talon 1 27.5 after talking to the LBS guys for a couple hours, and haven't looked back. Hoping I don't absolutely destroy this bike in the meantime

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-2014-08-23-19.03.42.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm 6'2" 318lbs, got a diamondback overdrive sport, hoping to slim down and try some racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm 5'11" 225lbs +/- 5lbs only a Clydesdale because i love lifting and getting jacked almost as much as i love biking! Cannondale trail4 29er haven't broken anything on it yet, though i have taken a few spills with it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Love my cannondale 29er highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Hey all

Ahhhh a big boy thread I love it, I am 43 6'3" 235lbs down from 243lbs not a whole lot lost but hey one less sack of taters. New to the forum as well.
    Just getting into trail/off road riding, been road riding a year or so the best I can. I drive an 18 wheeler and carry my bikes with me which is cool but I do not get to ride as much as I'd like to. Here lately seems like I keep getting sent places too unsafe to ride.

Here I am with my custom Masi I built.

Me again with the hybrid. (before the roady)

I just converted the hybrid into a drop bar 29'er for more off roading and light trail use.

mtbr member
    I am 6' even, 200 lbs as we speak. Just started mountain biking as a fun exercise to get my fat broken old butt moving again. These are my 2 bikes:
    Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-20140830_100129.jpg

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
    I am 6' even, 200 lbs as we speak. Just started mountain biking as a fun exercise to get my fat broken old butt moving again. These are my 2 bikes:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140830_100129.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	921073
    Must be skinny fat... 6ft, 200lbs is just about right me thinks...

I'm 5ft 11 1/2 inches @ 232lbs (big bones)... Could probably stand to lose another 10lbs of grissle (already lost 18lbs)

Cutting down on sugar, starting to see little differences in physique...

Sent from my Kin[G]_Pad
    to err is human... to face plant is frickin hilarious!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Must be skinny fat... 6ft, 200lbs is just about right me thinks...
    I think my new Android Tablet may have auto corrected 225 down to 200.... the e-Diet I am thinking....

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

First Post

Been lurking here for some time and finally decided to get a bike. I'm a clyde, 6'3" and 250ish.... So after many hours of research and test rides I picked up a 2014 Surly Krampus XL. I've been backpacking for years so I can use this for bikepacking and trails, and there are many in Colorado where I'm currently working. Upgraded to a Brooks B17 saddle and ergo grips then added a Garmin edge 510 and flats so I can wear trail runners and hike a bike when I need to. Have just over 300 miles on her now and I made a great choice. Pics are with revelate bags for bikepacking and after my trail ride today without bags.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-dsc_0043.jpg  

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-dsc_0046.jpg  

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-dsc_0048.jpg  

Clueless Bastard

Great Story

Regardless of your personal ambitions or reasons, we all love to ride.
    I just discovered this story, and found it just another fantastic example of the brotherhood.

Let's Ride!

A bicycle and a few friends lead a big man into an even bigger world - VeloNews.com

Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 45 85 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 LastLast