Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 ... LastLast
Results 1,926 to 1,950 of 2379
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BareNecessities View Post
    Hi there fellow big folk.

6' 7" here and currently a slim(ish) 215 lbs. Recently enjoyed my transition over to 29" wheels & can't see myself going back. Currently spending most of my riding time on a 24" Surly Ogre. I can also be seen sometimes on my 10 year old "made in the USA" 63cm Cannondale road bike.

I'm born & raised in the UK, but I like American bikes, as they tend to be more readily available in proper man sizes
    Where did you buy the 24" Ogre? Did you get a chance to try it for fit? I'm 6'8" (and also have an old Cannondale roadie in a 66cm) so looking to buy the Ogre but can't find a dealer with stock.
    I'm based in north Notts
    Thanks
    Mick

redneck
    Dec 2012
    Hello all. Im 6' and 250lbs. Im having a helluva a time trying to find a bike that fits me. What size a frame do the 6'+ ride? I got a used bike a few weeks ago and not only do i feel like im going over the handel bars but if i have to move my knees to make any kind of turn. Bike said it was a 26" but i know thats not frame size. I traded that bike for a road bike that looked bigger and felt okay when i tried it there. took it out thismorning for a real test, and it may sound strange, but it feels tippy? i dont know how else to describe it. this spring im going to an actual bike shop and looking @ some real bikes. my budget is about $350. What are some suggestions from the big boys for a big boy?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Go to a bike shop and get fitted. plan on spending more money. I also had a limited budget and bought a $600 mountain bike. For what I've spent replacing chains, sprockets, wheels, crank and bottom bracket, i could have had a MUCH more durable and better performing bicycle. I'd recommend $500+ used or $900+ new. Budget bikes are no bargain, especially for big'uns.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'4'' and 200lbs, riding a 21" (xl) specialized :thumbup:

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

@heavychevy

It might be that the wheel size was 26". Search on ebay for any size in the 20s and it also fetches up any bike with 26" wheels - including youth size bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    When I started back in 1990 I was 180lbs of solid....something. Haha!!! Now...same height almost 6'1" 250lbs. I ride a 1996 GF Paragon (After 10 posts I will post pics of the renovation) I just ordered a Lynskey Pro Cross. Suprised that I only need a M/L frame instead of a large. Plan to train/race some cross races in OH,WV,MD & PA.

mtbr member
    6' 7" here and 220lbs. Been riding a 26" Cannondale Caffeine XL for some years now. Set up with a good high and long stem etc..
    I have just gotten a new Cannondale Flash 29, also XL, and tried it out for a quick run before the snow got to much here.

I must say the initial impression just from these quick trips, is that the 29'er fits me much, much better. I feel like i'm riding 'with' the bike now it now instead of just sitting on top of it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by heavychevy View Post
    Hello all. Im 6' and 250lbs. Im having a helluva a time trying to find a bike that fits me. What size a frame do the 6'+ ride?

this spring im going to an actual bike shop and looking @ some real bikes. my budget is about $350. What are some suggestions from the big boys for a big boy?
    What I learned the first time around (when I weighed about 200) is that frame fit is very individual. Road bikes tend to be short and whippy and will have some of the effects you talked of, particularly if they're too small. I would imagine this effect would be greater if you're a Clydesdale (me: 6'0", 260). I bought one of the first mountain bikes ever built, back in 1980. I have ridiculously short legs -- 29" inseam; my dad is 5'5" and also wears a 29 in his Levi's. So I went with a custom frame. Because it was a mountain bike, the geometry was much looser. The bike, even with a big guy like me on it, rode like it was on rails, giving me the confidence to let it loose on the most challenging downhills. In fact, I got rid of my (really nice) road bike after some experience with the mountain bike, and just ran the mountain bike with beach cruiser tires (all they had in those days) when I wanted to do lots of road riding.

I strongly recommend spending as much money as you can on your bike. $350 will get you an OK bike, but riders of all sizes will break lots of stuff on it, and you'll particularly have trouble with the rims in direct proportion to your weight. The more you pay up front the less trouble you're likely to have. I had custom built Wheelsmith (legendary 1980s/1990s Bay Area wheel builder) wheels on the Ritchey, which were ludicrously expensive. But in thousands of miles including loaded touring and trail riding, I broke a total of one spoke and had to true the wheels a grand total of two times. My current $500 low-end Trek needs the wheels trued about every 100-200 miles, and that is with me being very careful in how I ride it.

If you can somehow manage (asking for Holiday cash from family, and adding that to your bike fund, begging for overtime, etc.) to save over $1,000 for a bike, you'll have a very different riding experience. The good news is that going to your local bike shop instead of Target or Dick's Sporting Goods means that people will be able to help you pick the right frame size and they will adjust as much as they can to help the bike fit you perfectly. That alone is worth the higher price bike. You'd be amazed how much moving the saddle fore/aft by 1/4" will do. And if they recommend a longer stem, they're not just trying to swipe another $50 or $100 of your hard-earned money; that can also make a big difference, especially if you have short legs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I perfer to think of myself as a super-clydesdale,6'1" 370lbs. I ride a 20" Fargo. I just invested in a 36 spoke wheel build with a dynamo hub. Since my Fargo has turned into a touring/commuter rig, I have just purchased a 2013 Salsa Mukluk to ride this winter and terrorize the golf course next door.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'4" and about 205. I ride a XL Kona Kuhuna DL. Used to ride a size Large Kona Fire Mtn but the rear rims started to taco.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm 6'7" and 320 lbs. I ride a trek superfly elite 23" frame. Just getting back into mountain biking. Been out for about 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    260 ride a FS Jamis

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Got the Jamis new on line. New to this but figured I needed a stury ride so got an All Mountain XAM model. Way more than I need

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    2012 Raleigh Talus 29er or a older giant 26" hand-me down bike (from a friend who removed all the stickers etc..) that has a fox van rc rear and rockshox reba fork.

I have only about 40 miles on the raleigh, and about 200 on the giant. want to aim for 2500 miles at least this year (going to start riding to work since i found a job closer to my home, 2.8 miles each way).

Weigh 415 lbs @ 6'4"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Legs too long, Head hits trees

Hello fellow giants.

I am 6'7" 180 pounds. I have a 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite but I am actually trying to sell it so that I can get a single speed hardtail. Any suggestions?

Glad to see this forum exists. I will keep my ears on.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    329lbs and tired of cracking production frames.........so I hand built this steel frame myself. Stiff, fits great and was cheap......4130 double butted tubing. #4.5 with powder coating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-blue-frame.jpg  

Last edited by chizler62; 12-23-2012 at 04:06 PM.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tallrussell View Post
    Hello fellow giants.

I am 6'7" 180 pounds. I have a 2012 Trek Rumblefish Elite but I am actually trying to sell it so that I can get a single speed hardtail. Any suggestions?

Glad to see this forum exists. I will keep my ears on.
    180? did you mistype or are you anorexic? Welcome!

Let's Ride!
    nice home build

my phone made this
    Master of Nothing, but dammit if I don't try..............

mtbr member

hello

I hand built this steel frame myself. Stiff, fits great and was cheap......
    Beautiful. Looks properly nice man What tubing did you use? What weight does the frame come in at?

Am 6'5" and 235lbs. Ride a 21" steel hardtail. Orange P7 with 140mm RS Revs.

Still playing around getting the cockpit setup to my liking, think the frame is maybe an inch too small because with a 60mm stem and saddle right back is still a little cramped when climbing out the saddle.

Got a set of Nukeproof 800mm bars (20mm rise) on the way which will hopefully help. Still not found the grips that suit my paws properly, want lock-ons where my hand doesn't overhang the edge.
    Other 'clydesdale' issues; I need to upgrade to stiffer wheelset (am thinking Hope ProII hubs on Stans Flow rims) and better brakes up front (thinking Hope evo tech M4 with 203mm disc). Might upgrade the lowers on my forks to 20mm for added stiffness too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    with grips I went with the Ergon lock on GP-5 Large -

The platform for the palm is much better and gripping is effortless now. One complaint in reviews was the lack of alternate hand positions, which is true. I got the bar ends for that, can grab those and change my riding position to a more aggressive stance, or just to move my hands around, there's plenty of grip for my big mitts even with the bar ends, which has not been my experience in the past.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm 6'4" 226 lbs before gear, 56 yrs ...
    My ride - 2005 Cannondale Prophet 650b.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-copy-650b-prophet.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Me

Well I am 5-9 and weigh in at 230

Bikes:

Road Trek Madone
    TT P2Cervalo
    MtBike Big Sur hard tail
    Cross Ridley XBow
    Snow 9 Zero 7

But I need a new Mt Bike now...nothing that I like to do better in a race: Fat Guy the little guys!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

6'5" and 420 lbs

Getting back on a bike after WAY too long living sedentary. Got a Giant Sedona XL frame. Just riding to get exercise and dump weight right now. Really like the bike and it meets my needs at this stage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5'10" 210lbs down from 245 looking for 180.
    Ride a XXIX dingle speed 32/16 and 26/22.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'10 210lbs. I was at my heaviest 235lbs about 8 months ago. I have a lemond road bike and just bought a cannondale trail SL4 to start riding off road. I plan on being out of the Clydesdale catagory in a couple more months.

Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 28 68 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 88 ... LastLast