Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 2405
    MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
    Missed out being the first 6'8" poster by 3 days Not that I went through all 75 pages to check. I'm 255 lbs.

Picked up a 23" 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er last week that has yet to hit the trails. Had sold my last mountain bike 10 years ago but rented on a vacation in Arizona early September and wondered why I had ever stopped.

Roadie is a 64 cm Madone 5.2.
    Nah, you're hardly the 1st and a skinny feller, too. Welcome!

NorCal Clyde
    Oct 2012
    I am 5'11" and 340lbs down from 400+. I ride a 2012 Giant Revel 1 with some essential upgrades.

Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-dsc00241.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    and a skinny feller, too.
    LOL thanks. Let's just say that I can't skinny dip... I chunky dunk.

too fat to care!
    As i've just spent the last two hours in the garage fitting a new front mech amongst other things, it's time to be honest.

330 pounds on a 2003 Kona Cindercone which has been through the wars a little bit and somewhat of a frankenbike compared to most on here. Once i get my fat ass back out there regularly I'm sure the habit of purchasing new parts will come back to me

mtbr member
    5'11" 350+ lbs. of chocolate :3

I don't have anything fancy but my steed is a 2004 Schwinn FS Frontier with a 69er setup. Tires are cheap Bell Kingpins 2.25" thickness but I like them nonetheless. Frame is an XL due to the fact the bike might sometimes be too much bike for me LOL but I love it. Put BMX handlebars o it to ride more for comfort on the streets, but considering going back to a 1" riser or flat handlebars. 21-speed front suspension with Shimano Tourney/ SRAM Components. Bike is Named Midas due to the gold color.

My other bike is a Motobecane FS Elite 700c Hybrid, but component setup is for speed. made bull horns for it so riding position is limited to two, but i was trying it out to see how it rides.

Since I wear size 13 wide shoes, I only use platform pedals to support my wide feet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am 6'6" and 250 lbs., this is my first 29er. It is a 21' Curtlo, made in the good ole USA. What a great idea for tall people.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwinds View Post
    LOL thanks. Let's just say that I can't skinny dip... I chunky dunk.
    you're 10 pounds ligher than me...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    you're 10 pounds ligher than me...
    Sure, but you're Gigantic.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been riding a Kona Munimula with Marzochi Bomber Z2, Raceface crankset, XT package. Working real well for me but now my frame is cracked at the seat post, and if that wasn't enough, it's now broken at the bottem of the chainstays from my impressive torquing skills haha.

So now I'm questioning if I should even buy another aluminum frame. Looking at all the main brands it seems steel has been reserved for only a few models none of which work for me. Considering buying a Surly Ogre frame in the 24". But then I have no front shock. I may not need one with a 29er though, so I'm really at a loss of what to do.

Giant Carbon XTC - $2000

Trek Superfly AL - $2000

Kona Kahuna Deluxe (discounted) - $1200

Surly Ogre and new wheelset - $1200

Please help.

mtbr member
    Posted a while back and I changed bikes so I figured I would update:

6'4" 260lbs (down ~25).

'12 Redline Monocog steel rigid single speed (XL/21")
    Niner carbon fork (super sweet!)
    Sunringle Black Flag wheels
    Chris King Headset
    Thomson stem and seatpost
    White Industries ENO crankset
    Selle Italia Flite Flow Max saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham77 View Post
    I've been riding a Kona Munimula with Marzochi Bomber Z2, Raceface crankset, XT package. Working real well for me but now my frame is cracked at the seat post, and if that wasn't enough, it's now broken at the bottem of the chainstays from my impressive torquing skills haha.

So now I'm questioning if I should even buy another aluminum frame. Looking at all the main brands it seems steel has been reserved for only a few models none of which work for me. Considering buying a Surly Ogre frame in the 24". But then I have no front shock. I may not need one with a 29er though, so I'm really at a loss of what to do.

Giant Carbon XTC - $2000

Trek Superfly AL - $2000

Kona Kahuna Deluxe (discounted) - $1200

Surly Ogre and new wheelset - $1200

Please help.

Check out the steel Salsa Mariachi or, as I just posted for my new ride, the Redline Monocog. It has the ability to add gears and with SS, us big guys have less parts to stress and break and it's a lot of fun and will get you in shape quick...or you'll do a lot of walking. I do a little of both.

Out of your options listed I would go for the Giant XTC - it was on my final list as well. Although I've only heard that carbon work well for big folks but I haven't had the oportunity to test that theory, yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey fellas, i think i qualify for this category, im 6'11 265lbs (210cm 122kgs). I know i'm massive, I ride an Avanti Aggressor XXL (57cm).

Bought the basic but upgraded it to all SLX gear as it seemed as strong and wasn't as expensive as XT, its a 26er but wishing i had of bought the 29er, well maybe next time.

Anyways, good to see some other big units out there hitting the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sprocket47 View Post
    Check out the steel Salsa Mariachi or, as I just posted for my new ride, the Redline Monocog. It has the ability to add gears and with SS, us big guys have less parts to stress and break and it's a lot of fun and will get you in shape quick...or you'll do a lot of walking. I do a little of both.

Out of your options listed I would go for the Giant XTC - it was on my final list as well. Although I've only heard that carbon work well for big folks but I haven't had the oportunity to test that theory, yet.
    Thank you for those recommendations, but I forgot to mention I'm 6'8 / 275. I'm looking at at least a 22" frame as is the Giant XTC, but also like the Trek at 23", and the Surly Ogre is now available in 24" with 29er wheels. I'm pretty sure Clydesdales every where can't do better at that size. I do enjoy a front fork however, and getting them on the side is jacked as crap for whatever reason here in Victoria, BC. I wish I could carry my 26" fork over to a 29er

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham77 View Post
    Thank you for those recommendations, but I forgot to mention I'm 6'8 / 275. I'm looking at at least a 22" frame as is the Giant XTC, but also like the Trek at 23", and the Surly Ogre is now available in 24" with 29er wheels. I'm pretty sure Clydesdales every where can't do better at that size.
    I'm 6-4, 265lbs (but well overweight) and picked up a 24" Ogre last week.

Because of my odd proportions I've got a 38 inch inseam, which might be closer to yours, and the Ogre fits like a dream. It's nice to have proper leg extension and be able to lean into the bars and not hunch over them like I'm on a clown bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Sounds like you just made the deal for me, Helmut. I'm 6'8" with a 37" inseam and you're describing the riding position I crave so I'll be looking to source a 24" Ogre here in the UK.
    Thanks
    Mick

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by michaeljw View Post
    Sounds like you just made the deal for me, Helmut. I'm 6'8" with a 37" inseam and you're describing the riding position I crave so I'll be looking to source a 24" Ogre here in the UK.
    Thanks
    Mick
    The only disclaimer I can think of is that it's on the heavy side. Not a tank, but you could probably save a kilo for the same money if you were determined.

Having said that, the Ogre is the Swiss army knife of bikes. It'll be a straight MTB (it's a Karate Monkey with braze ons), a tourer, a sleek commuter, a cargo machine or whatever you can make from the combination of racks and drivetrains and trailers it'll take.

Obviously I'm a bit evangelistic ATM because I just bought one, but I did a lot of research before putting the money down and haven't had a single pang of buyer's remorse, which for me is rare.

Don't know what UK prices are like, but I paid about $200AUD more for the frame by going through a bike shop than I would have if I'd bought it online overseas, but for that I have the luxury of running it back to the shop if something goes wrong instead of being stuck with a multitool and dubious warranty status.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Full bike in UK around 1400. I have to travel to find a dealer with stock (and probably place a refundable deposit for them to get in the 24") but I'll be buying from a dealer for similar reasons.
    As to the additional kilo in weight - an evening of peanut butter pretzels and a few beers makes that an irrelevance.
    Thanks for the update.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thinking of just doing the complete Ogre as well. The crankset looks decent and I could swap some parts like levers from my current bike - also 27 speed.

How do those rims look though? I got a lot of front wheel wobble on my last set of stock rims when going over 50km/h and that was on 26" wheels. Worried I might have problems at 29". I see they use the 14g Swiss spokes in the build so it may be good. If any one has tried them out weigh in please

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    6'5"and 210lb here, have just freshened up my 2003 Avanti Montari Comp (XL size) with some new bits and am getting back into it after many years away from cycling of any kind. Can't embed pics or link (only 2 posts including this one) but a pic of the bike as it sits today is at h t t p://img819.imageshack.us/img819/7663/img20121111173510.jpg

Rode a 29er a few months ago and was very impressed, it felt like a normal sized bike to me! Now saving my pennies for a decent one while commuting on the old bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    6' and 284lb, currently riding a 2012 Trek Marlin 19" frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    6'1", 225lbs, riding a Kona Dawg Deluxe.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hail to all the giants of the world!

This is like the best forum ever!

6'7 255 pounds

Dont ride anything yet, as i cant get something in my size off the shelf here in Greece.

I come from a BMX backround till i grew out of it literally!

Thx

Ben

mtbr member
    260#, riding a Lemond Zurich on the road, and an Airborne Black Widow on the trails. Just got done trail running for my morning workout, still at a 12 minute mile. I've put in just over 100 miles on my road bike this week. I'm a former MTB racer that started a family, and spent the last three years pretty much sedentary. Gained too much weight, going back in feet first. I am getting ready to race for next season(it's a long cold dark winter here on the shores of lake ontario)--I plan on racing the Black Fly challenge June 8th (40 miler), and then the Wilmington 100k the next weekend(leadville qualifier--doubt I'll make the cut). I hope to be down to at least 210 for that, lower if possible. I'm probably confined to my rollers in the dining room in about 2-3 weeks when winter sets in. The stories on here have been inspirational to say the least.

Leg Shaver
    6'4" 225. could get down to 205 if I were back in a sick fitness roadie mode. Beer and shuttle runs are a bad habit, nor necessarily in that order

rode an XXL Tallboy c for a year. fit it like a HT XC bike or road type TT fit and it was a mistake. was on the biggest nomad before that

now on a Tallboy LTc but the XL not the XXL.

just had a fit discussion with a fellow large lad last night.

I am actually one of the few tall big riders who prefer a 26" wheel descending anything fast and tech. actually would prefer a large Tallboy LTc if descending was all i did anymore. and my days of multi bikes are over. the little nuances like manual-ing sections and countering etc. but it might have to do with my aging as well

recommendation to tall riders. for what my personal experience is worth. dont let top tube be your primary fit decision on a 29 LT fully as one might with a HT or road bike. my take is the slacker headtube can make a wheelbase a bit long for ones technical handling demands. and the less standover the better. lugging those wheels lateral corner to corner is enough at speed

but that is me and there are people here with more experience. just a consideration. these frames are a big investment
    Why are there so many threads about cheap ass bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

greetings from RI

6' 230lbs. current rides are 2012 Sepcialized Stumpjumper HT 29 (alloy) and a 2012 Specialized Demo 8 I that is being changed over to Shimano Zee.

Page 76 of 97 FirstFirst ... 26 66 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 86 ... LastLast