Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 2379
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    so i am 6'2 322 down from 422lbs. I set a goal that once i lost 100lbs I would buy a bike. I just stopped in and ordered a specialized hardrock disc 29. It should be hear around the middle of the week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ertlandia View Post
    so i am 6'2 322 down from 422lbs. I set a goal that once i lost 100lbs I would buy a bike. I just stopped in and ordered a specialized hardrock disc 29. It should be hear around the middle of the week.
    Congrats on the weight loss! You should like the hardrock, that was my first bike and I loved it. I kinda did the same thing as you, promised myself a new bike when I hit my weight goal, so I ended up with a full squish kona.. Keep up the good work

Furry Tractor Rider
    Checking in, 5'9", 285 lbs, 28 in inseam, sort of the opposite end of all the tall guys on here.

I ride an Iron Horse aluminum hard tail, with a very modified Rock Shox T2 circa 1998. Pretty much everything on my bike has survived for the last 14 - 15 years, but I think it may be time to modernize as I just pulled a spoke through my rear wheel. Can't beat a wheelset that has lasted through this long, but seems like nobody makes rim brakes anymore and my frame doesn't have disc mounting studs
    Hey Ron! I'm riding a furry tractor!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Super Clydesdale? 6"4, 260 and heading down

... and looking for a new bike. Bought a Fuji Nevada 29er, and the wheels are falling apart after a year.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm considering the same bike. Please post a review after you get some miles on it.

mtbr member
    just an update, still hovering about 260lbs. Assembling an '04 Ellsworth Id i got from AppleSSeed this weekend. My daily rider at the moment is a Gravity G29 SS, with a Voodoo Zombie fork and a Brooks B17, it's great for hopping around town.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter97 View Post
    Congrats on the weight loss! You should like the hardrock, that was my first bike and I loved it. I kinda did the same thing as you, promised myself a new bike when I hit my weight goal, so I ended up with a full squish kona.. Keep up the good work
    Thanks. She came in 2 days early and I have racked up about 4 hours of ride time since. I have a new seat for it and i think i want to get a different set of pedals, and a front fork with a lock out

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ertlandia View Post
    Good luck! I picked one up back at the beginning of june. I love it, but it has not been without some issues. I've put about 1000 miles on it in the past 4 months and there has been a fair mount of wear and tear. I have gone through:

3 sets of pedals. the first set lasted perhaps two weeks, the 2nd set, warranty replacements lasted one week of road riding. they were replaced with a set of shimano mt 324's and have not had any issues since.

4 chains. the first lasted 200 miles, the 2nd a week, I just put on the 4th and upgraded it to a shimano unit that my lbs mechanic says will be more durable
    one cassette, just replaced.

1 chainring shifter, awaiting warranty replacement

1 tire- the rear wore out rather quickly from a combination of road miles and my being a chickenshit in steep downhill sections, riding the rear brake. I've swapped the front with the rear and mounted a wtb bronson in its place. the stock tires have a tendency to wash out in loamy sections and I'm hoping that the bronson will hook up better in the corners.

5 tubes. the stock tubes failed at the valves and were replaced with bontrager presta valve tubes. one had a puncture that I repaired on the trail, the other two had pinch flats. get a seat bag or a stem bag and carry a patch kit, levers and a spare tube.

I had the crank come loose and was tightened by my LBS. It may be an issue of build quality, but the fact that it's a tapered, square shank fitting was probably a contributing factor.

Also, depending on your skill level and how you progress, you will probably, at some time discover that the stock fork is a piece of junk. Initially, I was tempted to replace it with a better unit, then I realized that as an entry level bike, I would want to replace 90% of the components, too. for the amount of money I'd spend on upgrades, I could buy a rather nice new bike.

Complaints aside, it hasn't been entirely awful. the wheels, while heavy as hell, have been remarkably durable. credit that to their cheaper, heavier construction and that they have raw, unpainted stainless spokes that offer greater tensile strength. I've had a number of rather hard logovers, urban curbs, a few staircases and drops and just two snakebites to show for it. The rims have been astoundingly durable for the abuse they've received under my 265 #'s of weight. Also, since I'm 6'8, my 23" Specialized Hardrock Sport disc has been the first bike that I've owned as an adult that actually fit. The last time I looked, some 10 years ago, there were no entry level bikes at my size, so I made do with a bike much smaller and ultimately gave up because riding it was not that enjoyable. I'm currently having the time of my life and I've put on the miles to prove it!

Given that Specialized's Hardrock series are an entry level bikes, my complaints are more like minor quibbles. Many who buy them ride them like dilettantes, do some light trails and casual street riding. On the other hand, I've used the bike for the past 4 months as my primary source of transportation, doing urban commuting here in Philadelphia, road and paved trail rides ranging from 15-50 miles and more recently, intermediate and advanced level xc trails. The bike has taken abuse beyond its intended purpose and has been for me, a gateway drug into the world of cycling and mountain biking. The first hit doesn't cost too much, but the addiction ain't gonna be cheap in the long run!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    hi. i am obese by asian standards. i am 5' 3" with short legs weighing in at 200+ pounds. my bike is a Trek hardtail. when i restarted biking in 2011, i weighed in at 200, down from 230 pounds thanks to hiking. however, last december 2011, i had an injury that put me out of action for a whole month. the thing with being out of action during december is that it's christmas season, so lots of festivities leading to lots of eating. so by january 2012, i gained weight probably 10 pounds. my last weigh-in (months ago) is 205lbs. i try to reduce my food intake by cutting down on junkfood and soda, and by riding as much as possible, but people around me say i'm getting fatter or haven't slimmed at all.

i think running/hiking/walking is a bigger fat burner for me. unfortunately, hiking is expensive, and running isn't really my thing plus more of a pain (bad feet). i often get teased by my fellow riders for my fatness, and it sometimes saddens me that i cannot keep up with them on the trails. although when it comes to descents, i can be faster - if i have enough courage heh heh

target is to hit 190lbs by november 2012, but it's a losing battle....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by VTreX1800 View Post
    Checking in, 5'9", 285 lbs, 28 in inseam, sort of the opposite end of all the tall guys on here.

I ride an Iron Horse aluminum hard tail, with a very modified Rock Shox T2 circa 1998. Pretty much everything on my bike has survived for the last 14 - 15 years, but I think it may be time to modernize as I just pulled a spoke through my rear wheel. Can't beat a wheelset that has lasted through this long, but seems like nobody makes rim brakes anymore and my frame doesn't have disc mounting studs
    New here, i'm 5'9 290 with a 28" inseam as well so you aren't the only opposite in here. I've had a 2004 or 2005 Specialized Rockhopper V brake since 2005. I bought it to ride and then got lazy and it's basically sat in my garage. It probably has 25 miles on it since. The wife and I are about to start riding more. She's not a clydesdale or whatever by any means, I married WAY up. She has a Raleigh M20 that we found by the trash one day, no idea why someone threw that out. Had a tuneup done on it, changed the brakes and she absolutely loves it. Going to start riding around the neighborhood each night and venture out from there as we get more comfortable. The goal is to get down to about 220-240 by this time next year hopefully. I hate running, so probably just by riding around.

Dealing with the terrible pain in the rear nether regions right now. I bought a new saddle yesterday, a Serfas RX-921L recommended by the guys at Richardson Bike Mart in Frisco, TX. Installed it and realized my seat post doesn't have any angle adjustment. I can adjust the seat forward and backward, but there is no tilt adjustment. Is that normal?

Anyway, trying to figure out how to eliminate the arse pain at the moment. Kind of embarrasing honestly, I rode the bike 2 miles and the pain became unbearable while sitting on the old saddle. Going to give it another go tonight and see if it improves. I also am about to order some Canari Cyclewear padded shorts as well, any thoughts on these? Right now i'm trying to muscle through it as best I can. I guess it's the beginner pain.
    Last edited by bimmerd00d; 10-08-2012 at 08:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 1", 225 lbs or so.

I log most of my miles on a Jamis cyclocross bike and a Karate Monkey.

bimmerd00d - it may not be marked but on most posts I've seen the post/clamp interface is rounded and notched to allow angle adjustments. The only one I've seen that didn't have this feature was the stock post on my 1996 trek (other two bikes are much newer) so it could be that older posts didn't have this (it appears that the really cheap ones still don't). Seatpost is a good thing to upgrade if you get the itch - a good one can do wonders for smoothing out the ride.

I haven't used the canari padded shorts but I have a pair of their padded undershorts thats lasted me a few years. This was actually the pair that got me hooked - they make a pretty huge difference, especially on longer rides.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I'm 6' 1", 225 lbs or so.

I log most of my miles on a Jamis cyclocross bike and a Karate Monkey.

bimmerd00d - it may not be marked but on most posts I've seen the post/clamp interface is rounded and notched to allow angle adjustments. The only one I've seen that didn't have this feature was the stock post on my 1996 trek (other two bikes are much newer) so it could be that older posts didn't have this (it appears that the really cheap ones still don't). Seatpost is a good thing to upgrade if you get the itch - a good one can do wonders for smoothing out the ride.

I haven't used the canari padded shorts but I have a pair of their padded undershorts thats lasted me a few years. This was actually the pair that got me hooked - they make a pretty huge difference, especially on longer rides.
    Thanks, I actually got it figured out last night. It doesn't have much adjustment, but I think I found just enough movement to fix it. I'm going to pick up a set of padded shorts and a new helmet on the way home from work if they're not too expensive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Good luck! I picked one up back at the beginning of june. I love it, but it has not been without some issues. I've put about 1000 miles on it in the past 4 months and there has been a fair mount of wear and tear. I have gone through:

Yikes, you must ride a lot harder than I do. I've had a few problems with my drivetrain (also a loose BB, and plenty of problems with the rear mech), but that's been it. I did just replace my pedals and rebuild my front shock, but neither of them were strictly broken. They just suck.

I'm also probably about due for a new chain and brake pads, but after a season of solid riding I don't feel too bad about that.
    2011 Specialized Hard Rock Sport Disc 29
    Nukeproof Proton Pedals
    Ergon GP2 Grips
    Avid BB7 Brakes

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I thought I'd finally chime in here, I've been a big dude my while life. I topped out at 321lbs at 6'1". I bought myself a bike about 2 years ago and barely rode it. In April of this year I started to get serious about my health. I cheated somewhat as I went on the nutri system diet, started to ride regularly and seriously. Since April, I've dropped about 60lbs, now at 263lbs and still dropping, I feel better, healthier, and more confident on my bike. I am no longer on nutri system, but hope with riding regularly and eating healthier that I can keep the weight off and continue to drop. I hope this coming winter is good to me, I'm not scared of the cold, but I don't want to ride if there's snow. Thanks for reading.

Oh and here's my sled, 2011 Windsor cliff 4900.
    Sunline bars,Easton stem, maxxis advantage front, panaracer fire xc pro rear, ODI rogues, lbs cheapo flat pedals.

Cheers

mtbr member
    6' 250lbs

My ride is a '12 Trek Mamba

Currently on my fourth wheel

I have a bad habit of bending a wheel beyond repair after a fall, I don't know how it keeps happening but it is very frustrating dumping money into front wheels.

Any advice on helping me avoid bending front wheels is greatly appreciated.

Current front:

Velocity blunt/ xt hub/ straight gauge spokes
    Last edited by Lupob6; 10-16-2012 at 04:23 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    210 - Titus Motolite. Solid performer!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    6'1" 310 LBS. Just picked up a Raleigh Talus 29er sport. Had a hard time desiding between it or the Specialized Hardrock disc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just joined as I am yet again on the search for a bike that will hold up to my size. 6'6", weight varies from 300-330lbs depending on the time of year and what my diet/weight lifting program is at the time. Been riding since mid-90s, but fell off as I got larger since my bike wasn't as comfortable. I find that riding is the ONLY cardio I am willing to do (you can't pay me to get on a treadmill or bike at the gym), but I lift weights religiously (and have been for nearly 20 years). Got back into riding more seriously about 5 or 6 years ago, and kept breaking things (wheels and spokes mainly), so two years ago I laid out the cash for a custom build I thought would hold up to my size.

Bought a Niner WFO and outfitted it with all kinds of stout/high zoot parts, and I am very pleased with the ride and the fit of the bike. However, two broken frames later, and I'm on the search again. First time was a rear triangle that Niner warrantied because they said they had a bad casting on that batch of bikes. A year later (last week) I broke the seat tube right below the weld for the upper swing arm. Sheared it in half.

I hope to find some info on here that will help me in my search. I'm not giving up on Niner yet, but I'm still waiting on feedback from them on why they think it broke, and what we can do about it going forward. I've been pleased with their customer service so far, and I'm sure they will get this resolved. I just want to get back on my bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 6' and 240-250. Just got back into mtb after about a 16 year break. Have 3 kids but my middle son who is 9 yo is a natural athlete who has really taken to mtb, so he keeps me going at least one day a week. I hope to bump that up to several times per week after the kids football and cheerleading seasons are over.

I'm riding a 2009 khs xc-204 that I got a deal on from a buddy after he upgraded. I really love it even if I am in horrible shape at the moment.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butcher View Post

I hope to find some info on here that will help me in my search. I
    Zinn Custom Cycles?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Zinn Custom Cycles?
    Interesting. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks.

The other options I'm considering are Pivot, Turner, and Ventana. Thought I would call Red Barn Cycles and get their opinion on this as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    6.8 feet and wieghing in at around 230 lbs, riding a cube AMS ltd in size 22", fits fine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Darn!

Missed out being the first 6'8" poster by 3 days Not that I went through all 75 pages to check. I'm 255 lbs.

Picked up a 23" 2012 Stumpjumper Comp 29er last week that has yet to hit the trails. Had sold my last mountain bike 10 years ago but rented on a vacation in Arizona early September and wondered why I had ever stopped.

Roadie is a 64 cm Madone 5.2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Will you keep us posted on how you get on with the Stumpjumper for fit and comfort, please - we're almost identical in height and weight and I'm always looking out for suitable bikes.
    Thanks
    Mick

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Will do Mick. Did 10 km today on a local rec trail just to get the brakes broken in. So can't really say yet. Hoping to take it out for a real ride before it snows... if it can stop raining!

Page 75 of 96 FirstFirst ... 25 65 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 85 ... LastLast