Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2396
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    dup post. sorry, new here.
    Last edited by SConaP1; 07-13-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: dup post

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    6'4" tall and "a good lunch away from 300#'s"

can't post pics yet because of post count...but just wanted to say THANK YOU ALL.

a google search for big guys/mtn bikes/losing weight led me to the 'success' thread here in the Clyde section.

I joined the forum because of it.
    I ride a Spec. P-1. absolutely love it. Sold/gave away all other bikes I used to have when I got it in '04.

For lots of reasons....I let myself go from 240 where I'm tight as a drum to almost 300.
    The bikes gonna be my choice to kick start the journey back...

love all the 'biggun' stuff!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm an ex collegiate athlete and a ex NFL football player. 6'4 295....but I have a real tendency to push the limits on everything I touch. I use to race Bmx and was rarely off a bike until hs.....in college I bought an off the shelf bike and broke it everyday for 2 weeks. The owner of the shop knew I Played ball and he went downstairs and brought me up hardtail stumpjumper and I never looked back. I rode the mountains of Pennsylvania until I went to the NFL. I tortured that bike and it never failed me.

Now I'm back after a previous money pit hobby died down in my area.

After exhaustive research and a few test rides, I landed on a xl niner wfo9 Reba 140 SRAM x9 203 v2 hopes all around and stans flows with hope 2'.

I'm already on my 2nd set of tires and the bike is only 2 weeks old. I got some dissents on the way but....they cannot go on until the fox 34 140 shows up.

I am loving the full suspension rig and wish I had the money and interest to do it sooner.

I'll be droppin back to 275 solid as a brick wall and that will be lighter than I was in hs......I'm almost 40!

Happy trails men!

mtbr member
    New forum member just getting back into the sport. Currently down to 260 on my 6' frame...looking to drop it down to 240 [weight lifting is my other fit hobby] So far my Giant DS1 Warp has been holding up extremely well. I had to upgrade the fork internals on the Marzochi Bomber, but otherwise the bike is pretty much stock; save for the LX derailers and rapid-fire shifters I replaced the crappy SRAM grip shift with. I don't know about you other clydesdales, but my big hands never likes grip shift. Every time I'd try to bunny hop or pull up on the front end hard I'd end up in another gear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    6' 250 lbs and I don't have anything yet. That's why I'm here....to do research!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm new to the forum but signed up after a guy at my lbs told me about it last week after blowing out my second rear hub in 10 months.

I'm 6'5" and around 330. My ideal weight it still alot, somewhere around 285-290. I ride a Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er XL, pretty much stock except for new tires and saddle. About to invest in some CK hubs and Stan's rims, but big investment so taking my time.

Considering buying a used 2010 Spec Enduro this weekend although not sure how the 26'er will fit me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    6'6 - 200lbs

SE Stout SS 29er (21" frame)
    SantaCruz Blur LT2 (XL)

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

6'2" 205 to 210 depending on breakfast..
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 6'2" 270 lbs. Riding a 2001 Trek Fuel 98, it gets the job done for now. I'll be upgrading over the upcoming winter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    I'm new to the forum but signed up after a guy at my lbs told me about it last week after blowing out my second rear hub in 10 months.

I'm 6'5" and around 330. My ideal weight it still alot, somewhere around 285-290. I ride a Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er XL, pretty much stock except for new tires and saddle. About to invest in some CK hubs and Stan's rims, but big investment so taking my time.

Considering buying a used 2010 Spec Enduro this weekend although not sure how the 26'er will fit me.

I had the same problem years ago when I got into mountain biking. Sheared the splined shaft off the hub that mates with the freehub on an STX, then LX and finally a XT hub before I ponied up $450.00 for a DT HUGI 8 pawl chromoly hub mated to a Sun Rhino rim by 40 spokes. I actually broke that first HUGI hub as well; but the LBS and HUGI stood behind their prodouct...which they should for a $250.00 hub, and replaced it with a newly redesigned model. I'm still beating the hell out of that wheel on my hard tail here 14 years later.

Oddly, I've never sheared the mid-grade hub on my full suspension rig while climbing in granny gears.?.? .

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    335lbs and just starting to look at bikes. here to get some suggestions for a hybid

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    oh and I plan on mostly doing light trails - nothing harsh - rail trails mostly and some street

mtbr member
    280+, 1 year ago - Surly Karate Monkey 18" - XC Singletrack, now I use it to pull my children around.

Today 229-230, Motobecane Fantom 29er w/ On-One Carbon fork - XC, singletrack

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    I had the same problem years ago when I got into mountain biking. Sheared the splined shaft off the hub that mates with the freehub on an STX, then LX and finally a XT hub before I ponied up $450.00 for a DT HUGI 8 pawl chromoly hub mated to a Sun Rhino rim by 40 spokes. I actually broke that first HUGI hub as well; but the LBS and HUGI stood behind their prodouct...which they should for a $250.00 hub, and replaced it with a newly redesigned model. I'm still beating the hell out of that wheel on my hard tail here 14 years later.

Oddly, I've never sheared the mid-grade hub on my full suspension rig while climbing in granny gears.?.? .

Funny thing was I wasn't even really climbing anything big. Both times it was doing fairly level super tight quick up and downs between trees. Not quite sure how else to describe it. Thanks for advice though. I still haven't bought the new wheels yet.

mtbr member
    6'3" 220 pounds down from 235-240. I ride a single speed that I built up from scratch last year. This is a picture from my after work ride today after lap 1

Main difference from last time I posted was that I dropped a tooth in the rear and found a better way to mount my chain tensioner

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Somebody please help me

I am 5'10 and pushing almost 400lbs. now. Doc says to lose weight which I already knew. He said to ride a bike, but hell, I have no idea what to get. I just bought a Trek 850 used to start riding around on, I look at those wheels and already feel very sorry for them. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I can do to make this bike rideable? I am only riding on paved surfaces to start with, will this frame hold my weight? What kind of wheels and tires would be best suited to my weight. I want to ride so bad, I am hearing of all the success some people are having on this board and I want to lose the weight, please help me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by daveink2005 View Post
    I am 5'10 and pushing almost 400lbs. now. Doc says to lose weight which I already knew. He said to ride a bike, but hell, I have no idea what to get. I just bought a Trek 850 used to start riding around on, I look at those wheels and already feel very sorry for them. Can anyone give me any suggestions on what I can do to make this bike rideable? I am only riding on paved surfaces to start with, will this frame hold my weight? What kind of wheels and tires would be best suited to my weight. I want to ride so bad, I am hearing of all the success some people are having on this board and I want to lose the weight, please help me.
    Im in the same boat. Im 335, and looking to ride to lose lbs!

I did a good bit of research with my LBS on this. They said most frames will have no problem supporting guys like us. The problem lies more in the rims and hubs. We will end up having to get the rims re-trued more often, and may need to replace hubs a bit more often. But - the LBS (local bike shop) said that if I went with a good mountain rated bike - not a comfort, or a hybrid, ect... a bike build for abuse, that it would take the weight a bit better. We also need to keep the tire pressure at the upper limit at all times.

I bought a Cannondale Trail SL 4.

There are bikes out there specially built for heavy guys - but they are EXPENSIVE. You can buy two of the ones I got for the price of one of those and STILL have money left.

Im approaching this as yeah, Im putting more weight on the bike than I should now, but it will be dropping - its temporary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Exactly, I looked at the Kona Hoss, as it is good for heavyweights, but at $1100.00, it's a little out of my range. I got my Trek 850 for $200.00 used and figure if I put another couple hundred into a good set of wheels, I can get a year or two out of it and lose some weight and then it would be feasible to drop a thousand on a Kona. I just don't know what type of wheels or tires to get, pretty new to all of this. Guess I will have to rely on my LBS.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by daveink2005 View Post
    Exactly, I looked at the Kona Hoss, as it is good for heavyweights, but at $1100.00, it's a little out of my range. I got my Trek 850 for $200.00 used and figure if I put another couple hundred into a good set of wheels, I can get a year or two out of it and lose some weight and then it would be feasible to drop a thousand on a Kona. I just don't know what type of wheels or tires to get, pretty new to all of this. Guess I will have to rely on my LBS.

The big factors are rims and hubs. my LBS said that double walled rims with 36 count spoke should be fine.

They also said they will stand behind the warranty. Which on rims is 1 year on mine. They were perfectly candid and said that if I ride often, the weight wont be an issue for too long. They said its very unlikely I will have a problem right away - the weight takes time to build stress wear - and by then I should be dropping. They said what usually happens with heavy guys is they ride for a few months, end up dropping wieght, then come in for a bike tuneup and possibly new hubs if they do any hardcore riding. They said normal path trails (no jumps, or logs) like the rail trails will hold up fine.

Ive read about guys in the upper 400s rinding without any issues on normal spec mountain class bikes... class 4 i think it is...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info, I feel much better now. I am going to go to the LBS today and check out the new rims with 36 spoke config. Talk to you later.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mmreed View Post
    The big factors are rims and hubs. my LBS said that double walled rims with 36 count spoke should be fine.

They also said they will stand behind the warranty. Which on rims is 1 year on mine. They were perfectly candid and said that if I ride often, the weight wont be an issue for too long. They said its very unlikely I will have a problem right away - the weight takes time to build stress wear - and by then I should be dropping. They said what usually happens with heavy guys is they ride for a few months, end up dropping wieght, then come in for a bike tuneup and possibly new hubs if they do any hardcore riding. They said normal path trails (no jumps, or logs) like the rail trails will hold up fine.

Ive read about guys in the upper 400s rinding without any issues on normal spec mountain class bikes... class 4 i think it is...
    I would guess for rail trails you should be fine. Do NOT mis-shift while your drive chain is loaded up. At your weight you'll break teeth on the cassette or chain ring and/or strip the pawls on the hub. Don't ask me how I know!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lol. Went to the LBS and picked up a set of wheels, double walled and picked up a pair of downhill tubes for the extra pressure. 2 nice Kenda tires and I am now ready to roll. Thanks again for your help.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Any of you bigs made the upgrade from Mechanical to Hydraulic disc brakes?...hows it been? do you experience less brake fade?

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Big Boys....

240 lbs and droppin. Im benched right now due to financial trouble. (thus my 240lb weight) But Ive almost paid off my bill to ride my 2011 Kona Operator Fr.
    "Beware of gravity assist, 240 pounds of angry downhiller with 8 years of rugby and over 27 years of bikes make for a fine missile"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roll Call:  How bigga boy are ya? What bike do you ride?-dscf3439.jpg  

Willard

Well Im a big guy...

Im 6' 3" and 288 right now, and thats after losing almost 100lbs! Im disabled and water therapy and bike riding seem to be the only types of motion that I can do that doesnt bed ridden me for more than two days! Im always laid up for at least 1 day. Hahaha! Maybe the longer I do this ,the easier it will be. Later, Will.
    Fuji Nevada 4.0 W/Surge hard forks. I sit very up-right due to my back injury.

Page 51 of 96 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast