Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    5'11" 260 and just ordered one of these
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never walk the Dawg

Is there enough room in here?

Hey all, 6'1" 230lbs, I am glad to see this forum. It's a long time overdue. I can not find a picture right now, But I ride a Kona Dawg.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    6'3" 250 down from 301 in august '03. Should be down to 220 by mid-summer.

Ride an '02 raleigh m50 with lots of big-guy mods, about to order an iron horse SGS sport (going to have to get burly springs).

Re- why stop at checkpoints for thick drink? I'm gonna camelbak newcastle for the super-clyde category races!

mtbr member

6'5" - 230lbs.

I ride...
    XL Klein Attitude with Fox RLC and XT 517's
    A Cannondale 1FG single Speed (mostly stock)
    A specialized Allez Pro road bike (stock)

And here are some pictures...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Giant
    how did ya do it?
    I stopped riding in 88 or 89 and stopped exercising entirely in 93 or 94... You wouldn't believe how sick and out of shape I got over the following 9-10 years...

My recipe:

1) Drink lots of water... 64oz a day or more...

2) eat < 20g carbs a day... All I eat is meat with some cheese... Literally...

3) Row every night for 8-10 minutes... (I have a C2 ergometer that I started with because I was too fat to even get on a bike... I could barely even walk!)

4) I starting recently (the bike was a reward for losing the first 50#) to ride the bike 45 min every morning...

There are some secrets:

1) You need support from family to keep from cheating becauseit takes 3-4 days to recover if you cheat!

2) The Atkins diet can be expensive, but I've modified it to where it is not at all... I eat hamburger meat with cheese 3x a day... Total cost is < $2 a day...

3) You have to commit 100%... I threw out all the junk food and snacks in the house... Once I started losing, the *daily* loss became enough motivation in itself to keep me going!

4) I get 1 cheat meal a month, just because it is a reward or something to look forward to... I also think it "shocks" the body into losing more when you resume the diet, plus, eating sugar after not eating for 30 days is like a drug rush... (I've found that most snacks are too sweet tasting to eat though!)

5) You have to set small goals and big goals... My overall goal is 160#, but I only focus on the 10# increments... Like right now I am gunning for #220... Achievable progress is a major motivating tool...

6) You have to eat... The diet makes me not want to eat at all... If you don't eat enough your body will start to conserve by going into starvation mode... It is easy to find what you need to survive on using various calculations based on basal metabolism rates...

7) No caffeine, just water, and lots of it... No alcohol... No drugs...

8) No medications... Just a few simple vitamins...

9) I use a ketastick every day... This measures the ketones in your urine to see if you are burning fat... If the stick is red then you are ok... It doesn't get any easier than that!

10) Keep a log... Nothing is more motivating than seeing progress... I time my rows and I weigh myself 1x a day... (My 2K row time has dropped from 12:00 to 7:45!)

Is my diet safe? Who knows? I do know that being 280# isn't safe! I will modify the diet to include more healthy food once I reach my target weight...

A DIET IS NOT A BAND AID FOR A WEIGHT PROBLEM - IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE!

Why was I fat to begin with? I ate because I was bored and because I was addicted to carbs... (A lot of the reasons why people overeat are covered in the Atkins book.)

In a nutshell, for me, it is all about motivation... If you want something bad enough you can do it...

There is no maybe... There is no try... There are no excuses... You either do or do not...

I may be a Clyde right now, but I plan to have this weigh gone in just a few more months!

Mike (Xyzzy)

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy
    I stopped riding in 88 or 89 and stopped exercising entirely in 93 or 94... You wouldn't believe how sick and out of shape I got over the following 9-10 years...

My recipe:

3) Row every night for 8-10 minutes... (I have a C2 ergometer that I started with because I was too fat to even get on a bike... I could barely even walk!)

4) I starting recently (the bike was a reward for losing the first 50#) to ride the bike 45 min every morning...

There are some secrets:

1) You need support from family to keep from cheating becauseit takes 3-4 days to recover if you cheat!

2) The Atkins diet can be expensive, but I've modified it to where it is not at all... I eat hamburger meat with cheese 3x a day... Total cost is < $2 a day...

3) You have to commit 100%... I threw out all the junk food and snacks in the house... Once I started losing, the *daily* loss became enough motivation in itself to keep me going!

4) I get 1 cheat meal a month, just because it is a reward or something to look forward to... I also think it "shocks" the body into losing more when you resume the diet, plus, eating sugar after not eating for 30 days is like a drug rush... (I've found that most snacks are too sweet tasting to eat though!)

5) You have to set small goals and big goals... My overall goal is 160#, but I only focus on the 10# increments... Like right now I am gunning for #220... Achievable progress is a major motivating tool...

6) You have to eat... The diet makes me not want to eat at all... If you don't eat enough your body will start to conserve by going into starvation mode... It is easy to find what you need to survive on using various calculations based on basal metabolism rates...

9) I use a ketastick every day... This measures the ketones in your urine to see if you are burning fat... If the stick is red then you are ok... It doesn't get any easier than that!

10) Keep a log... Nothing is more motivating than seeing progress... I time my rows and I weigh myself 1x a day... (My 2K row time has dropped from 12:00 to 7:45!)

Is my diet safe? Who knows? I do know that being 280# isn't safe! I will modify the diet to include more healthy food once I reach my target weight...

Why was I fat to begin with? I ate because I was bored and because I was addicted to carbs... (A lot of the reasons why people overeat are covered in the Atkins book.)

In a nutshell, for me, it is all about motivation... If you want something bad enough you can do it...

There is no maybe... There is no try... There are no excuses... You either do or do not...

I may be a Clyde right now, but I plan to have this weigh gone in just a few more months!

Mike (Xyzzy)

Congrats, dude. That's a lot of weight lost. I got away from exercise entirely as well, luckily for me the worst I ever got was in the area of 80 lbs overweight (with 13% bf I was 220 in high school). I've lost 50 of those already, and as the spring/summer come I'm very confident that it'll all be gone in just a couple more months. Nice feeling, eh?

It is amazing what drinking lots of water everyday can do for you, weightloss or not. Being well hydrated aids every single process your body has.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'0, 220 pounds, will drop to 200-205 in season riding a klein palomino with a fox vanilla fork and XT/819 wheels. Sorry no pics yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Well hello boys! Good to see that there are more of us here than expected!!

I have a Kona Kahuna that I am starting to upgrade a little- Thompson Stem and Seatpost, Hayes Hydro brakes, truvative Hussefelt cranks and Race Face BB.

Oh BTW- 6'5"- 285# and dropping ( Atkins-gotta love it!) I just moved from PA to AZ and am loving the year round riding possiblities! Great riding areas too!

Like some of you before-
    Stopped exercising a couple of years ago and went to hell!
    Started the Atkins and exercising and this tub is melting off!
    Only drawback- bad BO and breath of dragon!

Spin ya later!
    Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Hey guy`s. Dave checking in. I`m 6'5" 285lb....Used to be368lb. B4 i knew about atkins. I was diagnosed with diabetes.I quickly cut the carbs and lost 38lb pretty quick. A friend gave me his copy of atkins. Everything was in there, plus other suggestions that i tried. Being half italian, i loved my pasta......No more
    I`m stuck on one of those plateaus and my old schwinn moab1 needs to see less active duty. So this spring i`m spec-ing all the parts for my new rocky mountain FLOW. Pic`s to be here soon....as well as spring/summer. Time to get back to induction and re-check my mechanical skills with all the new parts. Time to learn alot of new way`s......eh my new friends..
    Go clyde forum...Its been a long time coming...............Dave
    A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
    -Groucho Marx

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GhstRydrX
    Hey guy`s. Dave checking in. I`m 6'5" 285lb....Used to be368lb.
    Good for you Dave! Keep on doing it! I pushed max density at 343 and hated it!
    Feeling great and better all the time!
    John
    Keep the rubber side down!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Big Boys Bike

I got tired of my crosscountry bike because it wasn't stiff enough for my 223 lb frame of pure muscle and padding or is that pudding? So I checked out forks that were built to take some serious punishment. I ended up with a Marzocchi FR150 ETA. It's between a cross country fork and a downhill or dirt jumping fork. I also got the special hub and axle.

Guess what it doesn't fit a cross country frame! So I got a Marin Mountain Attack which is Freeride frame. The dealer gave me a deal on some 8inch Avid mechanical disks and when I got done my bike was 4 lbs heavier than my last bike. Know what, it's still better. It goes downhill like I never could before and you don't pick a line you just love the line your with cause it will do it.

The big surprise is I don't find it any harder to go uphill on and I go up serious hills right behind my house. The moral of the story is don't be afraid to buy a heavier bike that will hold up to your weight.

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Smallish Clyde at 5'10" and 225lbs. Ride a Titus Switchblade with Z.1 FR QR20 and King Hubs. Other than chains and chainrings, I haven't broken anything on this bike since I got it in October '02. Riding a Wipperman 908 nickle-plated chain now and prefer it to SRAM and Shimano.
    Last edited by Tony; 03-05-2004 at 01:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrGlen51
    I got tired of my crosscountry bike because it wasn't stiff enough for my 223 lb frame of pure muscle and padding or is that pudding? So I checked out forks that were built to take some serious punishment. I ended up with a Marzocchi FR150 ETA. It's between a cross country fork and a downhill or dirt jumping fork. I also got the special hub and axle.

Guess what it doesn't fit a cross country frame! So I got a Marin Mountain Attack which is Freeride frame. The dealer gave me a deal on some 8inch Avid mechanical disks and when I got done my bike was 4 lbs heavier than my last bike. Know what, it's still better. It goes downhill like I never could before and you don't pick a line you just love the line your with cause it will do it.

The big surprise is I don't find it any harder to go uphill on and I go up serious hills right behind my house. The moral of the story is don't be afraid to buy a heavier bike that will hold up to your weight.
    Me too, a lot of my LBS told me I would have to spend a lot to get a bike that would last(some shops wouldn't even sell me a bike, the Kona Hoss even ). Finally I went to a real nice shop where the guy said you are a big guy, do you care if your bike weighs an extra 5 pounds, I said hell no, if it will last, and then he showed me the Marin Rocky Ridge and I ordered it. Got a sweet deal, from what I hear the DJ3 shock is pretty friggin tough, so I am happy. It should be here tomorrow, so I will fill ya guys in after the first ride, tomorrow afternoon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

a super clyde

started riding 2+ yrs. ago at 458 pounds. got down to around 315 then had a bad otb, took a year to heal, but still rode during the healing process. presently at a little under 350 (6'1")and looking forward to this season. my goal is to get down to 250, definatly doable. my wife and i just started the south beach diet, sounds like something i can stick with. now to the bikes, i've got a X5 ventana coming soon, speced to handle a super clyde. i've been riding a 2001 heckler, and a giant hardtail, plus a older trek roadbike, and a new to the stable lemond zurich. i'm glad they put up this board, i can relate much easier to ya'll Regards Jim S.

Recovering Weight Weenie
    6'6" 250lbs
    I'd have to argue about 205 being clydesdale...i weighed that in 8th grade!
    here's my Vulture 29er SS weighing in at a brisk 29lbs.

and my light trailbike.... 34lbs of love

no picture of my big bike.. my 40lb Santa Cruz Bullit..hmmmmmmm, tasty....
    Last edited by Padre; 03-05-2004 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member

I'm a clyde too...6'1" 250

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy

My recipe:

There are some secrets:

Mike (Xyzzy)
    thats awesome!!!!!
    I was also close to 300 pounds , 297 to be exact and its not that i wasnt active, it was from having a sit down office job and living in a province that has snow or cold 6 months out of the year
    So my wife and I moved from Ontario to BC, which is year round biking, and i left the office environment to house painting... what a difference!!!!
    I also do not eat junk food, for breakfast I have a banana with milk mixed in a blender, and I simply love it and cannot go without it.
    For lunch my wife makes me up a MrNoodle with some chicken in it or Spinach wontons and Pork mince Wonton also, and alot of fruit, cantelope everyday and a mango pudding tart( very healthy and good too!!), and green grapes.
    For dinner, my wife usually makes homemade asian food from all asian cultures, and its really good.

mtbr member

Smallish Clyde at 5'8" 200#

My rides

Beauty - Fluorecent Green SS conversion
    The Beast - Giant VT

mtbr member

Oh I forgot to post what i ride lol

Quote Originally Posted by wickerman1
    thats awesome!!!!!
    I was also close to 300 pounds , 297 to be exact and its not that i wasnt active, it was from having a sit down office job and living in a province that has snow or cold 6 months out of the year
    So my wife and I moved from Ontario to BC, which is year round biking, and i left the office environment to house painting... what a difference!!!!
    I also do not eat junk food, for breakfast I have a banana with milk mixed in a blender, and I simply love it and cannot go without it.
    For lunch my wife makes me up a MrNoodle with some chicken in it or Spinach wontons and Pork mince Wonton also, and alot of fruit, cantelope everyday and a mango pudding tart( very healthy and good too!!), and green grapes.
    For dinner, my wife usually makes homemade asian food from all asian cultures, and its really good.
    I ride a Devinci Hucker, just bought the frame actually, with Sun Rhyni LIte wheels, Formula hub in rear, Parallax in front, brand new Deore Vee's ( converting t odisc next week), Zoche Z1 Wedge for fork, and Ritchey headset...
    here's a pic of the frame, just before i bought it and built it... its real beefy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    6'3" and 236, down from 248 before I got back on the bike. Current ride is a 96 M-2. Just ordered a Titus X-100 with a Vanilla fork. Goal is 215 by summer.

Code Burr
    6'3" 220 -- like a cadillac
    brodie catalyst ht, steel-tange prestige

mtbr member

ballfa 2 step 30 pounds

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    long 2step frame vanilla RC
    manitou black elite 120
    xt discs, shifters, front derialer
    xtr rear deraler and cogs all 8 speed
    raceface carbon bar
    titec ti stem
    thompson post
    trans am flite saddle
    fireracer XC pro tire 2.1
    hugi240 on mavic 317 disc, dt 14/15 spokes
    odi lock ons
    candly sl pedals
    raceface next crank no big ring/rf bottom bracket (squear taper), ti crank bolts
    i weigh 200 and 6 foot 2. like long walks on the beach, oh me oh my................just ignore that, HTANK you for TURNING me ON smithers.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2" and 250 #. I'm riding an Ibex Apogee. I got out of mtn biking for almost 10 years and bought the Ibex last fall. I didn't get nearly enough time on it before the snow started flying! I love the bike and had forgotten how much fun biking is! Over the winter, I have resurrected my old Fisher Montare as a cruiser/touring bike. I haven't ridden it yet, except on the trainer, since there is still about 4 feet of snow on the ground here. I'm eagerly awaiting spring!

roots, rocks, rhythm

Good to see............

It was interesting to read about what the big boys like to ride. There is not much attention out there towards guys that fit in this group. I am 6' 7" and weight around 240 lbs. I however do not seem to break parts of my bike like some of you seem to. I go through a rim once and a while but that is it. I do more x-country (epic rides) and I love to climb but the sweet single track down is even better. I will challenge anyone to race me up a hill. (I have kicked a lot of riders asses up but I have also met a few who kicked mine. I try not to fit in the stereotype that big guys can't climb........I like to prove that the myth is wrong.)
    My bikes are:
    -Brodie Expresso (Custom hard-tail) a classic (Antique now.............)
    -Kona Dawg Primo XL (Very nice- love the set-up after I tweeked it
    -Trek 970 (Steel hard-tail) commuter, touring bike and training bike.
    -Turner RFX (XL) I am just building it upright now. Looking forward to riding it.
    Always wanted one.
    -Kuwahara Ultagra 25" road bike- don't ride it much, might have to sell to make room for
    Turner
    (I was going to insert a picture but I am not sure how???)

Happy trails....................

K

ballbuster

Was 220#, now 198-202#

Thanks to lots of biking and stuff asociated with biking, I've lost over 20# in the last year and a half without really 'trying' per se.

Like the other poster here, I tend to snack when I get bored, so the trick is to only keep healthy snacks around and keep myself from getting bored.

I have lots of work to do on my house, so when I get idle, I can find a tile to grout or drywall to finish or something. My house has not been really kept up since it was built in the 30s and a minor remodel in the 60s, so I have a lot of make-up to do. I just have to stay focused, which is tough for me.

So I have three bikes I regularly ride.

I have a K2 Razorback SL which is my regular mountain ride. Basically it is all XT with Avid Discs and comes in a bit over 26 lbs. I have a Giant Yukon which has slick tires and a rack that I commute with. I just built up a '90 Trek 8500 lugged and bonded alu frame with rigid fork as a Singlespeed with mostly oldschool LX parts and Canti Brakes. No pics of the SS yet. It looks really ugly anyway. I have preped for paint, but have not painted yet.

Last edited by pimpbot; 03-07-2004 at 04:34 PM.

mtbr member

6'3", 245# of lovin' here...

FS - Turner RFX with constantly changing specs
    SS - On One Inbred with constantly changing specs

I think the definition of Clydesdale needs to be upped to 225#. Too many borderline 200#ers that are really, really fit. Once you creep over 6' tall its easy to fit and >200# these days. That, or make a new class for us really big mofos out here [insert suggested name].

Shoot, I remember when I was 25, 205#, 8% body fat, 33" waist. Countless beverages and 5 years later I've picked up 5" on the waist...but chicks still dig me.

Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

Page 3 of 97 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast