Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

6"0' - 270lb

Always been a big guy. making a concious effort to lose it this summer by working construction / logging and riding more. Im currently riding a 98 trek 930 steelie (which i want to convert to single speed) and i just purchased an 05 rocky mountain flow 2.0 which will be my trail rig after the trek becomes the around towner. pics of the RM soon...for now you get to see the trek in it round town tires. the paint job? camo duct tape.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fat guy on a bike
    I'm 6'3" currently 319 down from 336.

I ride a poor and abused Specialized HR comp i bought back in 2001. Its beat to hell but keeps kicking. I need something newer but am in a cash crunch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hi

Still the French part of this forum
    6'4, 273

Riding a major-upgraded Kona Hoss

& proud owner of a brand new Niner SIR !

Pics soon
    (as soon as I figure how to post them)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

My specs...

6'2"
    240lbs
    2006 21" Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc
    '06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

mtbr member
    6'4" 220 lbs.

2006 21" BMC Fourstroke Trail (5" F&R)

All my riding buddies say "That bike is HUGE!!", but it feels pretty nimble to me especially since adding the Speedball seatpost for quick height adjustment for the downhills..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5'11'' right now @ 230 lbs. I was @ 280 like 8 months ago. I've cut the sugar, my portions and ride the stationnary (sp? Larssinet, tu n'es pas le seul ) bike for 20 min.+ every morning.

I ride a KONA Caldera '06. Pretty nice bike for the price. I also want a road bike

I've been stuck at 230 for more than a month and a half. I'm wondering what to do next...

lets play
    6'1" 255.
    hairy gary HOWITZER w/
    ~avalanche dhf8
    ~answer swinger 6 way in rear
    ~rohloff hub and dropouts
    ~homemade tele-seatpost
    ~hayes
    ~saint crank
    ~stans tubeless stuff
    this bike just rocks.full cromoly with single speed capabilities.10" of travel and climbs good.heaven.
    IF IGNORANCE IS BLISS, I MUST BE THE HAPPIEST PERSON IN THE WORLD!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    6'3' was 250 April 17th, 2006 now 215
    30 #'s to go

05 Cannondale Prophet 800

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    6'6" and 270lbs. The current stable is a rigid Van Dessel Buzz Bomb fixed gear, Van Dessel full suspension Buzz Bomb, and a Surly Karate Monkey front squishy SS. Non-mtbs are: Schwinn Peloton road bike and a Falcon San Remo fixed gear. Here is a bad MTB family photo:

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey all, I have been reading for a while and have to say that I think I have found my new favorite website. Lots of good, motivational stories. I too was up near 300lbs. I am now down to 270 and still losing pretty good. I want to get back down to 240 or so. I currently ride a 2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+. It is completely stock but holding up nice. I ride once or twice a week for the last 3 months straight and am loving it. I am thinking of upgrading to a more Clyde proof bike like the Heckler with a coil shock, as I am getting more and more confident and starting to take the bigger drops again. Thanks for the motivation guys. Keep it up.

Ryan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I got rid of my Haro that I posted way earlier in this thread so here is my new ride. Just got it finished up a few days ago. I do plan on switching the 66RC2X for the Z1 Light though.

Mark Jones

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Expert Disc 29

mtbr member
    I'm 6' 4 and go about 290. I eat way too much, drive a desk all day and don't exercise at all. Last October I bought a Trek 4300 to start an exercise plan. Within the past couple of weeks I've finally gotten serious about watching what I eat and exercising (riding) regularly. I live in a rural area so theres lots of interesting places to ride right out of the house. I am getting bored of riding roads though.... Last week I did my first xc/offroad venture, had alot of fun but I am concerned about how much abuse the 4300 will withstand under my weight. Will be hitting a more substantial mtb trail early tommorrow morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    6'1" and down to 220 (en route to 185). I ride an '06 Turner Flux and a heavily modified '06 Gary Fisher HKEK.

I walk up hills
    6' and 230.

Riding a 2001 Kona Stinky (5" travel)
    Going to a 6" DC fork soon as this Z5 is not going to last long as I start to go bigger (not grow bigger, that should go in the other direction )

Making fat cool since '71

Either you are huge or...

Quote Originally Posted by RageHardIntoTheBendies
    6' and 230.

Riding a 2001 Kona Stinky (5" travel)
    Going to a 6" DC fork soon as this Z5 is not going to last long as I start to go bigger (not grow bigger, that should go in the other direction )
    ...you like riding a pretty small frame. Maybe it's the florescent lights in my office though. It looks like a smedium on you. I used to ride a size large heckler though so...

It looked (and felt) crazy small for me (6'3") when doing anything other than hucking or railing. Anyway, back to work...

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

I walk up hills
    Yea its a medium, I have short legs and a long torso. Looks worse because it's a really short stem, and the bike has a short TT as well.

Rides really nice though, do mostley downhill etc as it's a 1x8 drivetrain, smaller frame makes it fell a bit more "flickable" for that kind of riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    5' 10" 210ish when I am doing what I should be doing. Riding a Cannondale F400, although a recent endo on a rented rig has sidelined me ...and my bike is sidelined as I teach myself the fine art of wrenching (trying to resist the urge to turn it over to LBS)... At least this give me time to research how to best spend my wife's "disposable" income on a new FS bike (Pls dont tell her).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

250lbs

I ride a Banshee Scream, a Surly Instigator and a Giant Trance 2.

I have snapped a Tomac Magnum DH bike an Ellsworth Isis, many wheels and lots of Profile bearings.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    tell me about your BMC. I am a 6'2" 300 lb muscle head whos wife likes to ride bikes.
    is there much pedal bob. I am interested in the frame. I plane on building from the ground up in september

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Hay you think you hate Texas try ridin a bike for a good ride here in the summer. It really blows. That is why lance like to ride in europe

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If your inteested I can tell you a easy way to make your tire almost bomb proof , I use stan's no tube and a different techique to mount them and I have had my tires as low ae 20 psi with no problems. Btanner@mail.twu.edu
    about the shock yes and no. you probably need more air pressure in them but run the risk of blowing a seal out. their is a company call hippie tech and push ind. the can rebuild them but this is not cheap. according to the geeks I have talked to agter you go over 200 lb and ride on single track you need a spring assit like roco shocks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    5'11" 220 lbs, down from 240 in the winter. Sad part is I haven't been on my bike in about 5 yrs now save for the occasional ride to the store/post office. As i just posted in passion the other day, I just found my way back to riding and to mtbr. I was a somewhat regular back in the mid-ish 90's to 00 or 01. Life kinda got in the way of riding and I haven't been doing any off road stuff until the spring...and I'm loving it!!

However, I'm a whole lot bigger now than when I was in my 20's. When I was actively riding, I was 180-190 lbs. When I got back in the saddle this spring, I found that [obviously] my conditioning was long gone, my ass hurt and my confidence wasn't quite the same...but what surprised me the most is that my friggin feet even got fat!!! Perfect excuse to spring for new shoes this month. Those diadora chilis served me well but I sprung for a set up Sidi Bullet 2's...fellow clydesdales must love the Mega's!!

Anyway, I got my oldschool Obed HT inl in great working condition after a few minutes on the stand, but I sure notice the flex a bit more now that I'm pushing the weight limit of a lightweight ti xc bike . Lets hope those welds hold out until I get can back down to fighting weight. But even at 190 lbs, I was never a graceful rider like my xc racer buddies. Damn them, i say!!

Last edited by patrick_b; 07-21-2006 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Bad News is a coming. I have been welding for over 30 years. ti won't hold up to our weight. Now the good news is if you really like your frame all yor really need is to find a machine shop that can work with ti. they can gussett it and redo the weld if neccessary.
    bike welds are not for strength but look. a excellent weld has a center weld and a overlaping weld on both sides . good luck.
    my wife 135 lbs.) rides a ti moot smoothie and I have had to have the welds redone to spec by moot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I have to bow to you to have enough --lls to ride a single speed, smart move on the trek the liquids are crap. But I am not into names I prefer to build my from the ground up and have exactly what I want from the get go. Broke down in Thiland and ruined what started out as a nice vaction.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Me and my ride

6' 215lbs

Ventana El Saltamontes

Trying to ride it as much as possible to get sub 200.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    excellent bike one thing to be aware of is it you ride single track and use the brakes often and hard. the rotor will warp you might have to consider going to 8 inck disc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    6'6", about 260lbs. Haven't been able to cycle for a good 9months as I did my knee in falling down some stairs. The knee's better and now I'm trying to loose the fat and get down to 235ish.

Surly KM 62cm
    36/15 fixed
    1 brake as I like living

Built it up myself as a road/commuting/fun bike.
    Might swap the Nitto 'tache for some On-One Midge bars and a longer stem as some pillock (me) cut the fork too short. duh.

Next will (hopefully) be an On-One 29er
    Last edited by zaby; 07-27-2006 at 03:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    6'4" 285
    I ride a Kona Dawg Deluxe, Cannondale R600 roadie, and an old Miyata beater around town. I just got into mountan biking after getting tired of dodging cars on the road.
    No pics yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm 225 I ride a enduro pro

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3" and currently 237, was 248 a month ago. Baught my first mtn bike about 3 1/2 weeks ago been ridind about 100-120 miles a week for the past two months. Pulling my 7yr old on a tag-a-long. Here's a pic of new bike KHS 1000 with disc, been a good bike for a beginner. Currently undr wraps deciding what to paint her. Any thoughts?

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    5'9" and currently around 230 lbs. A dozen years ago I was in killer shape and 170 lbs, going riding all the time. Then life showed up and I got lazy. I've only recently gotten back on the trails.

My bike is a '97 Gary Fisher Big Sur aluminum HT. No problems yet... maybe because I don't ride it enough.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    6'2 268 lbs
    2001 Specialized Enduro Pro - Stock other than XT hubs Sun Rhyno Lite XLs, a replacement seatpost since the stock item was garbage Selle Italia sadle (and sometimes the stock butt beater)

2001 (roadized) Rockhopper Comp (was 50% off when the chainstay split on my 93 Rockhopper while cresting Nordhoff Ridge)

Strawberry Point in the background

Virgin River Rim Trail (there were fires-it's usually crystal clear out there)

Virgin River Rim Trail overlook

Brett
    Davis/Ojai CA
    Duck Creek UT in the summer
    Last edited by BrettVisionSLR; 08-05-2006 at 06:22 PM.

I wear two thongs
    5'9 230lbs I ride a 2006 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki that will slowly but surely be upgraded as stuff breaks, no since in spending money on replacing something that still does its job properly. I also ride a 2001 Wildwest Silver (Former Universal Cycles House Brand) which will soon become singlespeed since I totally mangled the Drivetrain on it and its cheaper to do an SS conversion rather than buy new der. and such.
    Ironhorse:

Wildwest:

Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Bonafyde Clyde

48 years of age, 6'3" and 235# with 39" inseam- I always ride "at altitude"!

Riding a 2005 Ventana El Capitan full suspension 29er, 21.5" size. I love it!
    Last edited by Ricky J; 08-06-2006 at 10:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    5'10" 265
    I got out of the Army in 2000 at a svelte 210 and in a few short years,my conditioning both muscle and cardio has gone down the tubes.I have changed the diet now it is time to start riding again and get rid of the fluff !!

As for the Ride: 00-01 Trek 6700, Avid BB7-160mmF/R(soon to be 203's) just ordered a set of avid SL levers. Mix of Deore and LX shifters and derailleurs. Just ordered SRAM X.7 shifters and rear derailleur + X Gen front derailleur. Mid-line Bontrager Wheels,Crank,Stem and Bars. And of course a rockin stock Judy fork,the old style garbage one. That will be my next upgrade thinking about RS Revelation or Pike because of 20mm axle but then I will need new wheels probably Cane Creek or Bombshell and so the death spiral of spending begins !!!!
    Not quite on par with some of the hardware you guys are rollin but 6700 frame is solid and is slowly acquiring the additional hardware it needs to make it rock!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpetty75
    5'10" 265
    I got out of the Army in 2000 at a svelte 210 and in a few short years,my conditioning both muscle and cardio has gone down the tubes.I have changed the diet now it is time to start riding again and get rid of the fluff !!

As for the Ride: 00-01 Trek 6700, Avid BB7-160mmF/R(soon to be 203's) just ordered a set of avid SL levers. Mix of Deore and LX shifters and derailleurs. Just ordered SRAM X.7 shifters and rear derailleur + X Gen front derailleur. Mid-line Bontrager Wheels,Crank,Stem and Bars. And of course a rockin stock Judy fork,the old style garbage one. That will be my next upgrade thinking about RS Revelation or Pike because of 20mm axle but then I will need new wheels probably Cane Creek or Bombshell and so the death spiral of spending begins !!!!
    Not quite on par with some of the hardware you guys are rollin but 6700 frame is solid and is slowly acquiring the additional hardware it needs to make it rock!!!

Now that's the attitude! You sound exactly how I did when I started getting serious about mountain biking. It is such a great feeling when you buy a better part and it makes your ride all the more enjoyable. Prepare for an addiction

Fatman on a little bike

I think I am the BIGGEST Clydesdale yet...

I am 6'1" and 300 lbs. and I ride a 2001 XL Santa Cruz Bullit with a Marzocchi 888RC and I ALWAYS make it back to the truck in one piece.

mtbr member
    Long time Clydesdale, first time poster...

I am a fairly athletic 6'5" 250lbs.. I got out of biking in the late 90's and more into lifting and running sprints. I broke my foot a couple of years ago and it has lead to deginerative arthritis in my foot... so no more sprints, deadlifts and squats. Got back in to biking because it is impossible for me to get lean just walking and I figured it would be good leg exercise as well since I no longer can squat and dead lift. I'm still under 30 yrs old, I cannot imagine how broke down this body of mine will be by the time I get old.

I'm riding an '06 Gary Fisher Tassajara Disc. Stock for now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tha1000
    Long time Clydesdale, first time poster...
    Hey, that was going to be my opening line!

6' 2" - 260 lbs currently. Back when I was riding 4-5 times a week, I never was below 220 lbs. Had to put the bike up as it was aggravating an injured shoulder. Can't say exactly how long it had been since I had ridden but at least 5 or 6 years. Couldn't take it any more and broke out the ole bike earlier this summer. Man, I missed mountain biking. Still riding my mid-90s vintage Super V - as long as it holds up.

The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Quote Originally Posted by smkymtns

6' 2" - 260 lbs currently. Back when I was riding 4-5 times a week, I never was below 220 lbs. Had to put the bike up as it was aggravating an injured shoulder. Can't say exactly how long it had been since I had ridden but at least 5 or 6 years. Couldn't take it any more and broke out the ole bike earlier this summer. Man, I missed mountain biking. Still riding my mid-90s vintage Super V - as long as it holds up.
    Welcome back!
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smkymtns

Gotta be quick around here....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am 230lbs 6'3" I will be riding a Rockhopper Comp very soon I hope next week

enjoy the view
    6'1" currently 230

mtbr member
    5"11 220. I RIDE THE HHH EVERY YEAR
    Ride about 3 times a week

Broke a Tomac Eli (however a lot of folks have)
    replaced it with a Litespeed Niota
    Specialized Roubaix Road Bike
    Always pay it forward!

Fat guy on a bike
    OK, got pictures of my new ride for those wondering about the Rockhopper Comp Disc.

Notice the beefy handlebar n stem Widest i could find.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    6' 4" - 240 pounds. Here is a shot of me with my new Kona Hoss DeLuxe. No action photos - yet.

newbike.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Cool bike! I'd only upgrade the disc rotors asap... at least the front one.

I'm 200 pounds, and on difficult, steep downhills my 185mm rotors are glowing for sure Next season I have to get myself some 200mm ones, front first.

Perpetual Hack
    ...another old rider returning to the fold.

6'2" @ 215.

Until a month or so ago, last rode about 10 years ago.
    Biggest problem so far - the mind knows what to do but the body has forgotten...can you get training wheels for these things?

In the past
    80's BMX - Redline
    90's Hardtail - Kona Kilauea
    Current 06 RM Slayer 50 - stock for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    yeah, I'm little, 6'3" and around 190-200. I'm really lean, though, and my weight to strength ratio is pretty good. The reason I have an ultra burly bike is that I go big. I like to jump off, over and through things. I still do a lot of the tricks I did on my freestyle bikes back in the day. I push bikes really hard and need a strong rig for my everyday ride. I don't have a photo, but I ride a Banshee Morphine frame with a Marzcchochi 66 170mm fork up front. I roll on 48 spoke FUNN wheels and dh parts all around, including 2.6 inch tires. all on a hardtail, yeah! if you need a strong bike, look into Banshee, especially for the all mountain rider. www.bansheebikes.com is where to find them. My brother is a fighter weighing in at 260 or so, and 6'7". he rides a banshee scream that I sold him after I was done racing downhill on it. that dike has taken some serious abuse, and it's still riding. it took a while to set it up with the right springs and everything, but worked out really well for him.

The Amazing Shrinking Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel
    ...another old rider returning to the fold.

6'2" @ 215.

Until a month or so ago, last rode about 10 years ago.
    Biggest problem so far - the mind knows what to do but the body has forgotten...can you get training wheels for these things?

In the past
    80's BMX - Redline
    90's Hardtail - Kona Kilauea
    Current 06 RM Slayer 50 - stock for now.
    Funny you should ask.......
    [SIZE=4]Feel free to visit my blog: http://theamazingshrinkingman.blogspot.com
    [COLOR=Red][FONT=Trebuchet MS] I'm also doing Tour de Cure in July, my page:
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...373&px=3127592

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast