bust a move

Good job! ROLL CALL - AGE 50 & Older Clydes

How old are you?
    Where are you from?
    How "clyde" are you?
    And anything else you want us to know about you.

Age 51, I am from NC but have lived most of my life in FL. Obviously not the best mtb around but it has other pluses. I started out 2011 at about 235 lbs and now close to 210. My wife and I are planning a long mtb trip next year so we have been riding more often and longer in order to be prepared for real (western) mountians. We have a daughter who likes to join us for rides once in a while. We ride mtb, pathways together and I ride lots of road solo. Started biking the last time about 12 years ago.

WELCOME to ALL

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hi !
    I am 59,and live in PA. I have been riding since 1995, and weigh around 240.I recently lost my foot, so I can't work right now, so that gives me time to surf the web more and become a reporter for the mountain bike world. ...LOL
    No, but seriosly, I like to pass on information if I have it, like thankfully a lot of us at the website do.My wife and I like to ride Towpaths,etc., but instead of becoming more safety concious with age, I am becoming more adventuresome, and plan on moving off the U.S. east coast to someplace west. I'm not sure where yet, but it's too cold here for me.(I have diabetic complications} Maybe my fellow riders here at the site can recommend some good not too expensive living spots.What I'd really like to do is get a mobile home and travel and live in many locations. maybe one day. I want to make good use of my bike and the time I have left.Being on this website makes me want to travel to some of the places I hear about. It's something to think about after you retire (or become disabled. My wife is a pioneer of sorts too.
    Well, nice to get to know you guys, and bike on.
    ---zarr

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guess I'll play too ...
    I'm 54 live in New Zealand and have been riding mountain bike off and on for about 5 years now ... have ridden full sus and even full rigid single speed which i don't reccommend if your joints are not in the best shape. Current bike is an old GT Avalanche running 27 speed but I think it's time to move up to a new 29er.
    About this time last year i was a gentle 120kg which is fat even when you consider i'm 6'4" then around late January before I had done much more that a few weeks in the gym to try and get into shape a little blood clot took the vision in my right eye. My blood pressure was way too high and colesterol was just silly.
    After a talking to by my doctor and a tough diet I have lost 19kg and feel great. I don't get all sweaty at the thought of exercise and I can reach you toes without cheating.
    Riding with one eye is a ***** as your depth perception is all shot to hell but it's better than no vision at all so I guess I can't complain.
    Brian
    An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit. Pliny the Younger (62 AD - 114 AD)

Brian

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    51 and from Texas. I was much more "clyde" earlier this year at 6'2" and 260 lbs, but in March I got serious about diet and spending some quality time on my roadie 3-4 times a week. I'm now just a bit below 220. Having 40 less pounds to haul around has made both types of biking much more enjoyable.

My clyde tip for the month - I recently grabbed the cheapo suspension seatpost and saddle off my old Giant hybrid to try on my Felt Nine. I have the preload set just a couple turns off full stiff so it's not like a pogo stick. I like the result so much that I'm looking at getting one of the much better posts like a Thudbuster ST.

Merry Christmas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
    51 and from Texas. I was much more "clyde" earlier this year at 6'2" and 260 lbs, but in March I got serious about diet and spending some quality time on my roadie 3-4 times a week. I'm now just a bit below 220. Having 40 less pounds to haul around has made both types of biking much more enjoyable.

My clyde tip for the month - I recently grabbed the cheapo suspension seatpost and saddle off my old Giant hybrid to try on my Felt Nine. I have the preload set just a couple turns off full stiff so it's not like a pogo stick. I like the result so much that I'm looking at getting one of the much better posts like a Thudbuster ST.

Merry Christmas.
    Merry Christmas.
    Mind me asking? What is the cheapo seatpost you are using now?
    Did it work fairly well for you at 260 so you can recommend it to someone not looking to buy a more expensive one?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Merry Christmas.
    Mind me asking? What is the cheapo seatpost you are using now?
    Did it work fairly well for you at 260 so you can recommend it to someone not looking to buy a more expensive one?
    It's the stock post and saddle that came on my Giant Cypress hybrid I bought back in 2004. Similar inexpensive suspension seatposts can be found like Amazon.com: XLC (made by Tranz-X) Suspension Alloy Seatpost 27.2 Black.: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloyd View Post
    It's the stock post and saddle that came on my Giant Cypress hybrid I bought back in 2004. Similar inexpensive suspension seatposts can be found like Amazon.com: XLC (made by Tranz-X) Suspension Alloy Seatpost 27.2 Black.: Sports & Outdoors
    Did you have to change the spring and/or elastomer to a higher spring rate?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    Did you have to change the spring and/or elastomer to a higher spring rate?
    Mine has a screw-in preload adjustment at the bottom of the post. It simply pre-compresses the spring a certain amount which firms it up for a heavier rider.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm 58 and 6' 1". Was 220 but down to 195 now. Rode both road and mountain bike 20-30 years ago but stopped riding about 20 years ago.
    Last year I decided to do something to loose the weight, started riding the local rail trails.
    Late this summer I bought a used mtn bike and started riding the hiking trails. Forgot how much fun that was. Bought a 29er and having a blast. Just started working on turning my original mtn bike, a 1986 Cannondale with roller cam brakes into a single speed.

mtbr member
    6.1. 52. yrs old 250 Lbs. Getting back into riding for the fifth time. Trying to loose weight but drink beer after every ride. Full rigid 1x9 650B. But I could use a fork, and boing post. Next Christmas.

Pedal! Gasp for Air...
    Will be 54 years young this March. 6'2" and 278 pounds (down from a personal high of 285). Bad kness from my motocross and basketball youth. Riding bikes and swimming are the only two things my knees tolerate and enjoy. Love MTBing since it gives me a similar feeling as riding dirt bikes, except for going uphill. I miss twisting that throttle to fly uphills. Trying to lose 30-50 lbs. Third season of mountain biking and have gone from a Iron Horse hardtail 26er, to a FS Rocky Mountain Element, to the current Niner Jet 9. I love playing in the dirt!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    50 years and 270lbs here. Got a Fuji Tahoe 29er to ride to lose weight and get into better shape overall. Really haven't ridden much since I was in Junior High but I really starting to enjoy this. Riding blacktop and gravel roads right now, can't wait to actually hit a trail soon at one of the nearby State Parks. Live in East Texas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    just turned 50. 6'2" and 245. from So-Cal. Have lost 20 lbs, goal weight is 220. 25 more to go!

mtbr member
    Hi, I am 55 and I am barely a clyde. My weight has been drifting upward a few pounds a year and and my weight is hovering around 200 lbs. I have been riding mountain bikes for five years and do it for the fun, exercise and to keep my weight steady.

I live in Fairfax VA. I love mountain biking and hate February which is the only month when it is too wet and cold to ride.
    fesch
    Riding in snow is for the desperate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    51 6' 4" 225lbs Building a 29er. Now that the kids are older I can go back to the crazy things I use to do. However, it sure hurts more than what i remember.

Joe

mtbr member
    54 and 255 and live at the Southern tip of Illinois. Only ride dirt. Kind of a poser though. Can't get too technical. I have National Forest fire trails locally and make a couple trips a year to the Mtns of W NC for a week at a time.

Would rather not ride than to ride pavement. It bores me. I am on my 3rd 29er. Currently on a Giant XTC-1.
    Settle Down, if you were that important the city would give you lights and a siren for your car

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Age 53 - 6'5", about 260-270lbs, been as high as 299.9 ;~).

Started riding in 1996

I ride anywhere from a couple to several times a week locally. I like XC, Trail and light AM type riding, and enjoy working on bikes/building wheels. I strive to have fun while riding and let the rest work itself out. Currently, I am really enjoying 29 inch wheels (an Access XCL 9'r hardtail and a Giant Anthem X 29er 2). My Giant Reign has been gathering dust since October 2009.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Older Clyde

Live in: Washington State - Olympic Peninsula
    How Clyde: 5'8" - 270 about 2 years ago, down to 220 now, want to be about 180 in two more years. Then I can't claim Clyde status.

With a large mountain range in my backyard the riding is as various as I want to make it. Snow in winter, and relatively cool in summer, so I don't have the heat to fight, but going from sea level to 5k feet in 20 miles can be a bit of a challenge, even if it is paved.

ATinkerer