SASQUATCH!

Rohloff Speedhub

Any clydes running a rohloff spedhub?

I recently got me a nice 36h CK rear hub, which I love, but I made that purchase before I even knew about the Rohloff.

I'm *really* keen on a drive-train that I can run with a perfect chainline to avoid any cross-chaining whatsoever since that seems to be the main source of my grief when it comes to chain breakage. Plus I just love the whole idea of ditching the derailleur/cassette setup. I spend waaay too much time babying my drive-train only to have it fail on a climb. Enough is enough!

My only problem: It seems to only come in a 32 hole version. Over the years, I have killed most 32 hole rear-wheels I have owned. 36h builds just seem to work every time no matter how badly I treat them.

Anyone with any thoughts as to the strength of a rohloff 32h 2-cross wheel for a clyde (230lb, 6'5", fit, agressive rider)? I know the rohloff's high, strong flanges might make up some of the difference by shortening spoke length etc, but I'm no expert.

Anyone wanna sound off with some direct experience, or barring that, some speculation, pie charts and graphs?

cheers

For what it's worth, I'd likely use a Mavic 717 or similar rim on the build.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by big_olly
    Anyone with any thoughts as to the strength of a rohloff...

Anyone wanna sound off with ...some speculation, pie charts and graphs?
    I was looking into the Rohloff as well. It seems like an awesome product, and I believe beefy enough for a Clyde.

IIRC, the Rohloff is tandem rated. That would imply that it should hold under one big person.
    I've attached a graph to help demonstrate this.

I hope that helps.

Patrick

BTW, you did invite speculation.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PCinSC; 05-12-2006 at 10:19 PM.

SASQUATCH!
    After clearing the coffee from my nose....

I had totally ignored the tandem thing! Thank you PCinSC, that is exactly the kind of speculative insight I was looking for. I feel a bit foolish for having missed it, but there's something about tandem mountain biking that just doesn't make any sense to me, so I think I just block it out most of the time. heh.

I've also been doing some more reading and the fact that wheels built around that hub have a symmetric dish makes for a much stronger wheel too. Rohloff even responded to my email asking about a possible 36h version. Their brief, but quick response of "absolutely not!" implied it would be total overkill and a waste of time.

Of course, the chart was what really convinced me .
    I think there is a Rohloff hub in my future. Hopefully by next season.

cheers
    O

lets play
    i'm like 245 in my swim suit and been using this rohloff for 2 years in lots a agro insane dh stuff. its the perfect gear. BUTT, its heavy, cables can be a little bit of a hassle, comes in the box w/ NO oil in it. other then that theres no downside. shifting is different. i usually shift without putting any load on the hub. something you get used to. and man can you hit the ground HARD!! gorideit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i'm usually about 230 and have been using mine for about 2 years.
    I use it for everything even downhill runs, the wheel is built without dish so it is alot stronger than a normal wheel. I haven't trued the wheel once in 2 years! and it's built with a ritchey OCR XC rim.If it bends i'll go with a sturdier rim, the salsa gordo looks the goods with the triangulation in the rim.
    I'm sure Tyler Klassen(pro freerider) usues one so as far as surviving abuse this is a good advertisement for it.
    It would be interesting to search pinkbike, NSMB to see if someone killed one and how they did it.

Music & Bikes
    For the weight thing , the Rohloff added 648g ( a pound and a half ) to my full XTR crossmax bike. I'm 6'2", 170 tall and skinny guy. The weight added don't bother me because of all the advantages it gives compare to derailleur setups.

If you guys are over 200 , it's easier for you to lose that pound and a half than it is for me !!!
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

rolhoffs

Olly, one thing a good wheel builder should have told you is to go 3x lacing instead of 2x. MUCH stronger and that would allow you to go 32 hole with no problem. I'm 235 and race hard xc and run Kings with Mavic 717s and have had not even the slightest out of true problem in a year and a half of racing. Also, for our weight, the freehub body design becomes more of an issue really than the hub itself. With a good build, almost any hub would hold up...usually the freehub gives up the ghost on a lessor wheel. Not sure about Rolhoff's design but I would definately look into it and see if its a 4 pawl design, ring type drive like dt swiss and kings, or do they just run a shimano freehub.

SASQUATCH!
    Hey guys, thanks for all of the feedback. It's great to hear from you all.

Zook7: the rohloff speedhub is a whole different ball of wax. I don't think it's what you think it is ...go check it out: http://www.rohloff.de/en/technical/speedhub/index.html
    The gearing is internal. No cassette, so no freehub, no pawls.

Also, Rohloff recommends 2cross. It's the main reason I was a bit skeptical; I'm not worried so much about the hub itself, but the wheelbuild with the restrictions imposed by the hub.

I also managed to finally spend some more quality time looking into this and got to this page on their site: http://www.rohloff.de/en/technical/speedhub/index.html.
    It addresses the whole issue pretty well, especially the need for only a 2-cross pattern. The following line from the document really sums it up:

When the Rohloff SPEEDHUB 500/14 is built up into a 32 spoke wheel, it is considerably more robust than the common 36 spoke wheels. The stability is approx. the same as a 48 spoke tandem wheel.

cheers
    O

fokof: Yupyup. Never been a weight-weenie, myself either. You get up over 210lbs and there really isn't much point IMHO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry Olly! Just checked out the link....what a cool hub/idea! I was thinking of the traditional Rolhoff hubs/wheelsets that were less the robust for us big guys. That speedhub is the shizzle. Good luck on what ever you pick. FYI...I had 3 wheelsets built up for me at Rbikes.com and was amazed every time by the customer service as well as end product. They spent no less than 45mins each time on the phone with me to figure out what the best wheel would be for me. On top of that I saved around 150.00 on the Kings/717's!! Anyways, good luck!