mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Rocky start on my Soul 29

Hi Everyone

I recently got back into biking after a 15 hiatus. Long story short I am 5'10 295lbs (and shrinking) I purchased a Rocky Mountain Soul 29 and took it out on some semi technical single track and within an hour I snapped the hub and was pushing the bike 1.5 miles back to the car. Went to the LBS and they put another one in same as orig. Later that day I was going fast and went OTB and bent the front rim like a taco. Any feedback on Clydesdale proofing this bad boy would be great

mtbr member
    Yeah, contact Mike Curiak at Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What rim/wheel/hub were you running?
    ...And what fork?
    Was all the problems with the front wheel?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    What rim/wheel/hub were you running?
    ...And what fork?
    Was all the problems with the front wheel?
    Shimano rm35 hub alex ace17 rim kendra smallblock tire. I bent the front tire and broke the rear hub. Both are result of a loose screw between the seat and the handle bars I broke the hub because I stopped halfway up a hill and then tried resuming in first gear and put all my weight it SNAP went the hub. The front tire is just down right embarrassing I was riding down an old forest road by headlamp at night and leaned forward to lockout the fork (dont ask me why) I started picking up speed and hit a root and the next thing I know I am laying on the ground and my front tire is bent sideways and yet again for the second time in one day I am carrying a bike out of the woods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    what year is your bike? Do you have a link?
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    cant post a link yet

mtbr member
    It is a Rocky

mtbr member
    Mountain Soul 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    what year is your bike? Do you have a link?
    Bikes | Mountain | XC Hardtail | SOUL 29'' here it is had to get my post count above 10

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    it's gonna take me time to tell you anything right now.does your fork bottom out when you ride? Where did the hub snap? How much can You spend to fix things up? If the axle broke, you might want to use a solid axle with track nuts on it instead of quick release axles.but that might only halfway solve the problem.you mat need to use stronger hubs and wide strong rims.I'll try to find out some things...meanwhile perhaps someone else can help you too.you may need to go to a Rock Shox Recon Silver Solo Air fork.Being heavy you need stronger wheels and a strong fork.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

Former Bike Wrench
    Sorry to hear...not surprising, low end hubs and XC rims don't generally do well under large riders. Bare minimum you should be using wheels with Shimano M629 or M665 (since you have centerlock rotors) hubs that have the heavy duty freehub body on them. You should also be using heavier duty rims.

Here's an example of a bargain priced heavy duty wheelset
    WTB FX28 29" / 29er Wheelset with Shimano M629 Centerlock Hubs 8/9-Speed *NEW* (072274773539) | eBay