Inexperienced & clueless
    Jan 2009

Rockshox Tora for the portly gentleman!?

I got myself a 2008 Rockhopper last year and haven't done much more than commute on it a few times a week so far, hoping to get myself a tiny bit fitter before venturing into the mud.

I noticed that on the front fork (RS Tora 302 SL) one of the stanchions has a light ring of oil around it. This bike is the first I've had in years and I've never used any kind of suspension before on bicycles so I wondered if this is normal or if I've blown a seal? The bike is still under warranty so I guess I'll get it fixed if there is a problem.

I've done nothing adventurous on the bike yet but my regular route to work involves a bit of bashing over kerbs, potholes and the like along with a bit of gravel path. Presumably this is nothing to tax a fork under normal circumstances but I'm around 285 lb so I guess I'm asking a bit more than normal of it.

More generally, is there anything I can do to fettle this fork to suit my ample frame? I'm riding it with preload and rebound up full but it feels as if half of the fork's work is taken up coping with me rather than the terrain under it and it all feels a little clunky. Is heavier fork oil or springs a sensible upgrade? If so, is this a DIY job or one for the shop only? Ultimately, if I plan on taxing myself a bit more off road this year can I make this fork cope or do I need some other type to cope with me?

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    without seeing the fork i couldn't say but it's not uncommon to have a little oil on the stanctions (SP?)... the seals lightly coat them as the fork compresses... it's not uncommon to have a a "ring" of dust on them from the oil...

I don't know about the 302 but the 318 soloair is a fine fork for us big doods... looks like the 302 is the u-turn version... if you can upgrade to the stiffest spring they offer.. and air it up the rest of the way to have proper sag and rock out
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

I Have Cookies
    that sounds about right for the 302.... I had one on my bike for about 3 minuets and the seal was "already"destroyed.......(It was leaking from the factory) search all the threads about the horror storys about those forks.... I wouldent even bother warranty for the thing just get another fork the 318 soloair is awesome or you can go Recon351 U turn w/the black spring..... Funds permiting
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo