mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Rock Hopper OK for a Clyde

First the stats. I am 5'10" 250#.

I am looking at getting back in the mountain biking and have been checking out bikes for the last few weeks. I am leaning towards a Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc at this point and was wondering if this is a good bike for a person of my size. I spoke with the owner of the LBS and he was honest enough to tell my he did not know the answer to the question since he did not get a lot of business from people my size. I gave the bike as good a test ride I could in the city and the bike seems to fit and ride well. My plans for the bike are to do some offroad riding at the local trails and possibly some commuting since I only live a few miles from work.

Other bikes I considered were the Giant XTC and the Trek 6700.

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Freshly Fujified

I say yes

Nice clyde bike IMO, and here's what I saw:

Fork-Coil sprung with 32mm (read:big, beefy) stanchions. This is good for big guys

Brakes: Avid BB5 discs-very nice choice, good stopping power

Frame: Double butted, reinforced disc mounts-nice pluses to have

Other than that, it has decent drive train components, etc. Given what I personally look for in "clyde-worthy" bikes, it seems to be a good option. I would NOT go lower than the Comp Disc model, though.

Best wishes in your decision, and let us know what you decide on.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    This bike would be OK for you. I rode an 05 Rockhopper for about 9 months with no problems. I'm 5'9" and weighed 245 at the time. I did bend the saddle rails from a crash, but I'm pretty sure that was from my lack of skill, not my size.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Rockhopper Comp Disc should be a good bike. Of the three that you listed, I would stay away from Giant XTC. Not that it's not a good bike, but it's Giant's lightweight racing hardtail bike, and thus potentially the weakest of them. That being said, I'm 5'8" and 240lbs and I have not had any issues with some of the lighter bikes. I do, however, change out certain components immediately. Namely Thomson seatpost and stem, and beefier wheelset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the responses. I put a deposit on a Rockhopper Comp Disc today. Hopefully they can get one for me.

I was already looking at beefing up the bike in the areas that were mentioned.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    This one, an 2001 FSR version has given up great riding for me 212#, and has come through countless wipeouts relatively unscathed.

http://www.h2omen.com/mtb/bikes/reve...evelation.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I got the phone call from my LBS today that my Rockhopper was ready for me. Got it this afternoon and put it through its paces . This son of gun is a blast to ride. I was really impressed at how well the frok responds on rough terrain, yet almost feels like a rigid fork on pavement. I would have taken pictures but I spent the afternoon riding. I will try to post some tomorrow. My overall impression of the bike is mostly positive, with the few weakpoints being easy upgrades that I had already expected make. Once again thanks for the responses. everyone has been most helpful.
    You'd do it for Randolph Scott.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RandolphScott
    I got the phone call from my LBS today that my Rockhopper was ready for me. Got it this afternoon and put it through its paces . This son of gun is a blast to ride. I was really impressed at how well the frok responds on rough terrain, yet almost feels like a rigid fork on pavement. I would have taken pictures but I spent the afternoon riding. I will try to post some tomorrow. My overall impression of the bike is mostly positive, with the few weakpoints being easy upgrades that I had already expected make. Once again thanks for the responses. everyone has been most helpful.
    I just purchased a Rockhopper Comp Disc and had test ridden the Trek 6700. It was a tough choice but the Rockhopper took the win. On to my point, I agree with you as far as the fork. I rode on some pavement yesterday and then took some nice trails with woops and logs. It performed exactly how you described it. I loved it and I believe it will hold up nicely to my 6'2" 240lb frame. Happy riding!
    '06 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i have had my hardrock pro now for 10 days. i had originally debated with the giant reign, trek 4900 and the hardrock comp disc. and after some test riding i chose the comp disc. well i wanted the army green and it was unavailable and i did not like the blue so i stepped to the pro. so far so good. so far i have just ridden it around town as i need to get some weight off first before i consider anything crazy.
    6' 350 or so.

the 3 specialized bikes i rode just felt better to me than the trek or giant even though i had almost made the giant purchase. thankfully it caught my interest on here and i checked it out.

Monty

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I bought the 03 rockhopper disc & its had some pretty hard abuse over the years & I am 255 pounds. The frame has stood up no problem. I had to replace the forks recently with Reba SL airs & that made a big difference, the standard Manitous on that model were way to flexy.