Thread: Road wheels...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Road wheels...

Okay! I trust you guys and your opinions. I looked around for a roadie Clyde resource and didn't find one so I'll turn to you guys.

I've put about 3k miles on my current Shimano Ultegra wheelset. However, my rear wheel will not stay true. It's really annoying. I'm researching for another wheelset and my LBS is pushing Mavic Kysrium SLs. I'm 6'5" and ~210lbs in my birthdaysuit. They're reasonably light and look nice. However I want durability first, compatibility with 23-25mm tires andthen $ followed by performance.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

I've also found Williams wheels and ROL wheels...opinions on those would also be appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    Handbuilt, 32 spokes, 3x...no fancy low spoke count wheels.

I have a set of Mavic Open Pro, Ultegra hubs, Wheelsmith DB14 spokes, and alloy nipples that I built in 2002 and I am still using. I've had to replace the freehub body on the rear hub in 2009, otherwise they are still going strong with well over 10K miles on them. I have weighed between 215-230 lbs during the time I've been riding them.

Keep The Rubber Side Down
    I can vouch for the Mavic Elite wheels. I've had them for about 6 years now and love them!! I had to replace the rear wheel after about 2500 miles; and during that time, they only needed to be trued once. I weigh around 250 and they've held up to my abuse quite well.
    Some of my happiest memories in life took place on my bicycles. - Me

local jackass
    I'm currently having a set of 36 spoke mavik open pro's built with 105 hubs, brass nipples, and heavy gauge spokes I destroyed my stock wheel set and this isa pretty good lower buck option. Ill post pics of them shortly.
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

@adelorenzo
    At your size and weight (which I am, slightly heavier though) you shouldn't have problems with any decent wheelset. I'd ride those Mavics without worry.

That being said, if you really want to go bomber, you could look at a 'cross wheelset.

For a wheel build, Mavic CXP 33s are a killer rim option. Burly enough for 'cross bikes but they make a great road rim. I run 32H laced to Phil Wood hubs on my road bike, also run those rims on my fixie/commuter/cross bike that gets a ton of abuse.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. I know I can go heavy and crank up the spoke count and that'll solve it. My stock wheels are about 1780gr. if memory serves correctly. They're somewhat middling to a hair heavy. Also, they're probably a bit flexy for what I "need". I probably need to demo some to understand the weight penalty of more robustness and if it really matters to me... I do a ton of climbing and most of my time is spent grunting up 10% grades or flying down them. I use the expression "gravity loves me" (I'm gonna trademark it). Our county roads are pretty great for scenery, terrain and low traffic. However, their maintenance isn't so good and it's getting worse with budgets being what they are...

All that said, the Mavic Ksyrium SL's are about $1k. Ouch! However, they offer a protection plan and there are weight limits on their wheels... It's $80 for 2 years and will cover up to 3 exchanges! If I can keep my current riding level up thet'd be 5-6k miles. Given my current riding style I think the rims would start to get worn down a bit because I have to break on the descents because aero braking doesn't help descending canyon roads!

Anyhow please keep any suggestions coming. I'll post up what I get. I'd like to hold off till my birthday in Nov. or from Santa in Dec...

AZ
    banned

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My experience with an older model Ksryrium is not good. I'm 1 1/2" shorter than you, and normally I weigh the same as you. My riding also involves all climbing and descending. I ride about 3,000-4,000 miles/year. I got a used 66cm(c-c) bike on ebay equipped with Ksyrium's, and every two years, I discovered a crack in the rear rim. The rims were about $250 to replace. After replacing the rim twice, I decided not play Mavic's game anymore when I cracked the rear rim for a third time.

Everyone I've talked to at the local bike shops say low spoke count wheels are not made for clydes. I built up a touring bike last year with Velocity Dyad 40 rear/36 front and XT hubs--and I still had constant problems with the spokes loosening on the rear wheel. Boutique wheels sure look great, but they are too weak. I also have a set of Campy Neutron tubulars(5 years old), which are very sharp looking, light weight climbing wheels, and which I only use once in awhile, and they have held up fine so far.

Mavic Open Pro's or CXP-33's with 36 spokes in the rear are probably what I will go with next for every day use. In any case, from now on I'll be running 36 hole rear wheels.
    Last edited by happyriding; 09-24-2011 at 10:15 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'm heavier than you ... 260. I have a few of the wheel sets mentioned in this thread. I have the Kysrium SL's on my road bike -- 3 years, about 5,000 miles -- all good no issues at all. For my touring bike I have velocity dyads laced to phil wood hubs (48 spoke rear 40 front) -- built like a tank, but really heavy. For my knock around bike I have mavic open pro rims and tiagra hubs 36 rear 32 front. I'm happy with all 3 wheel sets. No problems with any of them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I picked up a set of American Classic Hurricanes about 2 months ago. I am 225 lbs and really like them. I want thru 3 wheelsets from Specialized for my Roubaix. Kept breaking the spokes and then cracked the rim. Lot's of good reviews on them. I also checked out Hed's stallion builds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well I got a great deal on 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel set. It was $450! I'll add the MP3 protection and my wheel worries should be over for 2 years... If they get beat up excessively and need replacement I'm pretty much covered. However, in two years I'll know if they as good as the hype... If not I'll have more time to research and get a more Clyde friendly build.

FWIW

I looked at so many wheel builders/web sites my head was spinning. It'll be interesting to see how these stack up to my original stock wheels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtorbn View Post
    Well I got a great deal on 2011 Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheel set. It was $450! I'll add the MP3 protection and my wheel worries should be over for 2 years... If they get beat up excessively and need replacement I'm pretty much covered. However, in two years I'll know if they as good as the hype... If not I'll have more time to research and get a more Clyde friendly build.

FWIW

I looked at so many wheel builders/web sites my head was spinning. It'll be interesting to see how these stack up to my original stock wheels.

They are as good as advertised. I've had a set since 2003, and have never been under 240lbs since then , but they have held up to thousands of miles of abuse from me. I have only really needed to have them trued one time, never broken a spoke, never had any trouble from the hubs. I just recently upgraded to ceramic bearings, and they roll a bit smoother, but I don't think it was really even necessary.

mtbr member
    Mavic Open Pro with Ultegra Hubs are rock solid, held up when i was up over 300lbs, put about 4,000 miles on my set. Also have a set of Fulcrum 7 racing rims that have held up very well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    lacemine29 will set you up with the perfect build. I'm 255, 6'5".