mtbr member
    May 2008

Road bike sizing ?

Hello,

I currently ride an xl 1998 GT avalanche 20", and am looking into a few road bikes but I am not sure on the sizing.

I'm ~ 6'3 with a 34-35 inch inseam and have been looking at a few bikes 58cm and 62cm 62cm just seems huge but I am not familiar with road bike geometry and don't know what to expect.

Any thoughts on road bike sizes ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    go to your lbs and sit on a few..58/61/62 all depends on the manufacture of the bike.
    i am 6'4' and i got a 64cm bike and it fits me perfect.so spend the time to get the right size.
    TCSD
    UC Cyclery
    Braveheart Fitness
    Cactus Racing

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    road bikes are a lot more touchy on sizing then a mtb is...

also with a road bike you need to ask yourself what type of riding you plan on doing... full out racing (what most of the "road bikes" you'll find at the LBS are) touring bike, or whatever.

... racing bikes typical limit you to about 23 or 25 tires... as a clyd you usualy want at minimum a 25 and idealy a bit more (i'm running 28s and will prob step to 32's on my other wheelset eventualy)... sure smaller is better... but you also have to run higher pressure which makes the ride even rougher...

I was lucky enough to find an older steel frame on craigslist that fits me just about spot on (outside of needing some minor stem tweaks and such)...

'93 trek 400... last year of the lugged steel frames from trek... here's what she looked like when I picked her up... she'll easily take a 32 tire

biggest problem is getting the bars high enough for me though... quill stems suck for that haha

heres how she sits at the moment...

just ordered a brooks saddle, quill to threadless stem adapter, a few stems and a compact road bar... the other parts I picked up from a friend in the MTB club... 2 sets of wheels, pedals, bar end shifters, 8spd cassette and some other odds and ends...

when all is said and done will have about $400 into her... untill I decide to upgrade the cranks... and the seatpost, and the deraillers lol...but most all of it will be able to easily swap onto another bike in the future

building her up for logging comfy road miles... I did a metric century on a rigid 29er (100k)... wanting to do a full century and think i'll be more comfy on a true road bike... time shall see... if not I can easily go back to the rigid 29er setup I had before haha
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    oh ya... she's a 25.5" which translates into 64.7cm c-t... I ride 20-21" MTB's...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

Double-metric mtb man
    You may even fit a 56, depending on the bike. I ride a 19" Fisher (known for long top tubes) and went for a 56 cm cyclocross frame.

I'll mirror Donalson's info on the tires. I'm training for the Ride to Conquer Cancer, so I've got 116 psi 23mm slicks on the CX bike right now....it's pretty harsh. With the 80 psi CX tires (700x35c) it's still fast, but a lot more forgiving of the bumps.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me