Thread: Road Bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Road Bike

My passion is mountain biking. I bought my new Stumpjumper Comp 29 in May. I rode it a couple of times a week until July. Now I'm riding it almost daily. I've lost weight and I'm riding further. My goal is to keep riding and getting in shape and then do my first race next spring. My only issue is that I can really only ride on pavement and gravel roads. The nearest singletrack is about 45 minutes a way by car. I've gone a couple of times, but that's not feasible on a daily basis. There is a road bike club and lots of roadies where I live. I'm thinking of getting a road bike to help train. What's everyone's experience with this? I know that road biking will not build technical skill, but my first priority is fitness anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You can't match group rides for quickly building fitness. These race-style rides motivate me more than anything to push my limits and give me an edge on my mountain-only competition.

mtbr member
    I got my first road bike yesterday. It's raining here so I can't even ride so that SUX but I am excited about the new bike.

mtbr member
    Recently bought a road bike so I didn't have to ride my Stumpy on the roads when the trails were too wet. I didn't go high end like I did with the mountain bike, but it's light and fast compared to the MTB. I find myself riding every day. I'll usually go for a short ride of about 15 miles either before I hit the trail or just after. On days I can't ride the trails I go between 30-50 miles on the road. Overall, I'm enjoying the bike a lot more than I thought I would, but I still prefer riding on dirt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm thinking of getting a 2009 Bianchi C2C. It has a more upright riding position and is described as an endurance road bike.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    endurance or touring type bikes are more what we clyds need IMHO... 25c tires is about as small as any clyd should go... I roll 28's happily... although am considering 32s... note that a road race frame won't be able to do that...

i personaly ride an older (early 90's) trek lugged steel frame... found a frame that was the right size on craigslist and picked it up... i've replaced most everything on the bike but still have a much better bike for a lot less then i'd spend on a new for a similar price
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by donalson
    endurance or touring type bikes are more what we clyds need IMHO... 25c tires is about as small as any clyd should go...
    I disagree. I'm 6'8" 235lbs, and I'm rolling on some 23c Vittoria Diamante Pro tires. I pump them up to 125PSI, and I haven't had a problem. I bought a road bike to ride it fast, and that's what I do. I ride solo most of the time, and have no problem going between 23-26mph on flats. I couldn't come close to that on my MTB. I wanted a road bike to train with when I couldn't get on the trail, and it's working out great for me. I finished a 26 mile ride a little while ago and my average speed was 20.2mph, which I feel is pretty good because I was riding solo and had a couple of decent size hills to climb.

I tried a few bikes that were more relaxed, and I didn't like it at all. I wanted something a bit more racey, but everyone is different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sixate
    I disagree. I'm 6'8" 235lbs, and I'm rolling on some 23c Vittoria Diamante Pro tires. I pump them up to 125PSI, and I haven't had a problem. I bought a road bike to ride it fast, and that's what I do. I ride solo most of the time, and have no problem going between 23-26mph on flats. I couldn't come close to that on my MTB. I wanted a road bike to train with when I couldn't get on the trail, and it's working out great for me. I finished a 26 mile ride a little while ago and my average speed was 20.2mph, which I feel is pretty good because I was riding solo and had a couple of decent size hills to climb.

I tried a few bikes that were more relaxed, and I didn't like it at all. I wanted something a bit more racey, but everyone is different.
    What bike do you have? I am just a tad taller and heavier.

Thanks

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    you'll get lower rolling resistance with a wider tire at lower PSI... you'll also get a much more comfortable ride... but you do add some weight...

I bought my road bike not to ride it fast... but to cover more distance in more comfort then I could do on my rigid 29er ...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have a Felt F80, and let me say that I enjoy road biking as much as I enjoy trail riding on my Trek 6000. Road bikes are lot more faster, so you have to be very extra careful on those potholes, or maybe because i weigh at 280 lbs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by realGIANT
    What bike do you have? I am just a tad taller and heavier.

Thanks
    I bought a Fuji Roubaix from Performance Bike. The bike was cheaper in the store compared to the online price. Plus I got an extra 15% off a new bike purchase that they had going. I got it for $740, and I couldn't pass it up. I also had it narrowed down to a Cannondale CAAD9 6 and a Trek 2.1. I liked all 3 bikes a lot, but it came down to what I felt was the best bike for the price. The CAAD 9 was $1050, and the 2.1 was $1150. The LBS wouldn't budge on the price so I gladly bought the Fuji. I mention the other bikes just for something else to look at because I liked all three of them. Not sure what your price range is, but I wanted to keep it at around a grand.

Vittoria Diamante Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went for a Cyclocross bike (Giant TCX 1) when I was looking. After talking to people at the shop and doing a little research, I found that for the most part Cross bikes are built a little stronger than your average road bike. When the weather gets dicey I use cross tires, but most of time its road tires. Cross bikes also allow for wider tires to get that smoother ride. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    That Fuji is a nice looking bike. My LBS treats me pretty good. This is what I got for $750 plus they threw in a nice pair of Time carbon pedals at their cost.

mtbr member
    How do you like that Allez? I wanted to try one out, but I couldn't find one big enough for me. What size frame is that?

mtbr member
    I like it a lot. The frame is a 58. I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam so the standover height is borderline but really not nearly as important on a road bike. Once on the bike because of my slightly longer torso it is a really good fit. I still need to dial in the seat a little more but otherwise I really like the bike. I have not had the chance to really get out there an hammer it but I can already tell it is going to be a fast fun ride once I get in to the road biking groove. The other bikes I tried were Treks and they weren't bad but this one was just right once I tried it. My LBS had to order it for me. The first one they got in was a 56 and it was too small so they ordered the 58 and it was just right.

mtbr member
    The biggest one I could find anywhere was a 58cm, and at 6'8" it was too small so I didn't even ride it. I found a Trek 1.5 that was a 64cm, but I couldn't even stand over it, and I was so stretched out it wasn't even funny. I could only imagine how tall a guy would have to be to ride something that big. Mine is a 61cm, and it fits me great. I have a 35" inseam.

Fat guy on a bike
    I ride road quite a lot.

I would get a Giant Defy, which has good geometry for us, and aluminum frame.

I ride Mavic Aksium wheels with 25mm puncture protection tires.

The only negative thing for me is that a traditional race geometry bike is a little too much for my back.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    funny how people of different sizes need different bikes...

my bike...

25.5" c-t which = 64.7cm... I have stand over room even while on the trainer...
    ritchy Deep section up front and mavic Ksyrium Elite out back, but run the red airline2 wheels most of the time (easier to fix if i do kill em), Vittoria Randonneur 28c tires... put some ultegra barcon shifters, and triple crank (not pictured) on her and she's loverly... have about $350 into it...

had to go with a shorter stem (came with a "7" quill 130mm stem) converted to a quill to 1 1/8 adapter... not a fan but it's the easiest cheapest way to figure out my proper fit)... when I get around to it i'll pick up a taller quill stem and a different bars... same time i'll do the new brake levers (i hate those stock ones)

basicly... theres a million different bikes out there... because there's a million different people... you've got to find what you like and need...
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    That looks about as big as the 64cm Trek 1.5 I tested. Those seatstays look like they're about 30". How tall are you/inseam?

I have a friend who's 6'2", and he can ride my bike no problem without moving the seat or anything. His inseam is the same as mine, but his arms are way longer than mine to make up for his shorter torso. You wouldn't think someone who is 6" shorter than me could fit on my bike as is, but he can.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    6'4ish 34" inseam pants do the trick... bike has a 34.5" stand over and even with the bike on the trainer I have room so I suppose my cycling inseam is prob closer to 35.5-36"

I did notice after spending a bit of time riding it that when I got on my MTB that I felt like i was SUPER upright... but a mile or so in it felt fine... i'll prob drop the stem 10mm or so and see how I like it.
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had a similar problem as my nearest proper off-road riding is some distance away, enough to consider driving there by car .

I've decided on a Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra 8 as a 'compromise'. I painfully remember my FS 1500 Marin Rift Zone I had some years ago, bought on a whim and influenced far to much by magazines (you know what I mean). Rode the thing probably 85% on the road which was'nt much fun. It was also to small as the largest frame was 19" at the time but hey ... it looked nice . Sold it and bought a s/h cannondale rb which I used regularely for about 3 years until I had to stop cycling for health reasons.

I am 6.4 with a very long 36" inside leg. Most bikes don't fit well without modifying either seat post, stem or bars. Sometimes all of them.

The xl bad boy fitted well off the peg and although its not a racer it rides unbelievably nice, has a good lock-out fork which comes in very handy on some of the crappy roads we have in and around Bournemouth/Dorset, fantastic disc brakes and with some Race Blades, makes a good commuter/training bike if used with a good lock.

This is the Alfine version and I am seriously considering using this system for any future MTB bike I may get (I have a 29er build in mind). It weighs a little bit more, I'd guess the XL comes to around 25 pounds but it would be easy to shed weight if needed though I think at our size, a few pounds are really not that important. It feels stable, quick and comfortable. Add single speed looks but a good spread of gears and hardly any maintenance issues, perfect to get fit on.

I may change to a road bike again in the future but as for now, this is one of the better bikes I've had.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    6'2, 33" Pant Inseam.

I ride a 22.5" (57cm) Trek 400. Its a little small but was free. TT Length works great for me but I need a little more seat height. Just need to grab a longer seat post.
    (sorry, crappy photo)

Older bikes are made to fit big... with basically no seat post showing. Thats normal. Newer road bikes with a sloping top tube fit more like mountain bikes, but go a little bigger than you would with an MTB.

My Brain Hurts!
    I'm going the flat bar route. I have Spina Bifida and riding a roadie with my hands on the lower end of the bars on a typical road bike is right out. My old bike when I was a kid was a Schwinn Varsity and it had dual brake levers, and about 90% of the time I rode in the motre upright posture.

So my LBS is ordering an FCR 2 (though Giant has supposedly changed the name of the bike to something really daffy sounding) But I am unsure if he can get the 2009 FCR in a large frame or if it will be the new 2010 silly named version....I don't really care as long as I get the bike....

And for the frame size, I have a 30 inch inseam but have a long torso, so I need the longer top tube.
    Remember when we were kids and our Mom's said we could not play in the mud? I'm making up for it now!!