mtbr member

RIP Setup Assist?

Hey there - tried to search on this one, i am sure its been asked - it was tough to get any helpful results...

I just built up my XL RIP9 with a 140mm TALAS. I am 6'6", 225 and i set the sag on the rear at about 175 and the front at about 70. set the o-rings and bounced around off anything i could find in the park and it seemed soft and o-rings were pretty maxed. clearly, i need more air - just wanted to sanity check it with others.... anyone else have the same combo? your pressures? other advice?

thanks folks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'm on a newly built XL 2010 RIP with a RS Revolution dual air Fork and a RP23 rear shock that I sent out to PUSH for the Big hit Fat boy tune before I even rode it. I would strongly suggest sending your rear shock out to PUSH for the tune since you are over 200 or at least doing some research on them or other tuners . I'm a stout 6'4, 325, I ran 300 PSI in the rear/ 170 front today for upwards of 5 hours without issue at FATS trails in SC. The trails consist of roller after roller, Jump after jump and I do not ride easy so the shock(s) took a beating and the bike preformed like a champ. Fats has go to be one of the funnest trail systems in the southeast, I was here for two days last weekend and i went back for more today.

Raccoon mtn, TN

Tsali Trail, NC

Fats trail, SC

-Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am the same size as Big Scott and ride a WFO. Almost the same bike, and I have a Fox DHX Air 5.0 with a 140 Talas up front, both stock. I have to run my DHX at 300psi and my Talas is around 105psi. (I don't remember the max psi for the Talas off the top off my head, but I think it's 115, but whatever it is, I'm about 5 psi under the max). I don't know if I agree with Big Scott about you needing a custom tune at your weight riding a Niner. If you were over 250, then I think you may need a tune, but you don't need it at your size. Start by airing your shock up to your body weight, so 225 psi, and use Fox's suggested setting for the Talas and go from there. Then once you get your sag right, start playing with the compression and rebound. I found I prefer running my Talas under the max psi, but then I have to bump up the low speed compression and rebound.

Enjoy the new ride. I love my WFO! Rode the hell out of this last year with minimal issues and had a ton of fun. Niners work really well for big guys.