Thread: Rims

mtbr member

Rims

Ok what are the bigger people riding with as far as rims go? Im 235 and I go through spokes like crazy. Im using ryno lyte rim on the back where I usually do damage. Someone suggested the crank brother rims. Any suggestions? Thanks

mtbr member
    Crank Bros are proprietary wheels, rims are not available separately. I do not recommend proprietary wheelsets as getting replacement parts (such as spokes) can be a PITA.

You should be looking at getting a hand built set of wheels using quality double butted spokes. Spokes usually fail because they are 1) not tensioned properly and 2) are cheap and low quality. Double butted spokes actually increase the durability of the wheel. You should also go with brass nipples for added durability. I don't consider 235lbs that heavy but you didn't mention what type of riding you do so it's hard to make a suggestion. You also didn't mention if you need disc or rim brake compatible rims (since the Rhyno Lite can be used for either). A little more information will help with some rim suggestions.

mtbr member
    I do a mix of cross country and all mountain technical stuff. I would need disc brakes.

mtbr member
    Im riding an 06 enduro comp

some know me as mongo
    Feb 2008
    I'm using wtb i23 at the moment and I have been quite impressed with them. They are also quite light and not too expansive. Also like the other poster said, use DB spokes, they have a tiny bit more flex (you will not notice) but that saves them in the long run. Just make sure that your spoke are by one of hte major brands and you should be fine! cheap spokes make a crappy wheel. One last not is that wheels are also very biulder dependent. A well built wheel with average parts will last longer than a very highend wheel put together poorly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I've been on Mavic EN 321 rims and XT hubs with 14 gauge DT spokes for two years on a XC bike with zero broken spokes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've been beating on Halo Freedomdisc rims with Hadley hubs and 14g DT spokes (brass nipples) for two years. Broke my frame twice, but not a whimper from my wheels. The Halos are pretty inexpensive, but they seem very durable.

Prowheelbuilder.com suggested I try the Salsa Gonzo as well when I build up my next wheelset.

mtbr member
    The suggestions for rims above are all good. I will add Sun Ringle rims as well. Based on your weight I would look at the Inferno 29 or MTX 29 welded rims.

Again I cannot emphasize using quality spokes (DT, Wheelsmith, Sapim) and having them built by hand of a competent wheel builder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Stans Flow if you want to run tubeless. They still have the old white flows on sale.

Flow Rims - on sale

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I'm tagging in on this thread. I'm 230lbs running Rhyno Lites and I've broken 3 spokes this season.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips! Appreciated

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Flows

I am 240 and have been running Flows built with White Industry hubs and DB spokes built by Ron at White mountain wheel works. I talked to him and he set me up. Great guy to work with and good prices as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Been running custum built Sun Mammoth rims with LX hubs and good spokes for a long time now. No rim shake no matter how fast I run.

But now I'm thinking of getting into the 29" wheels. But I want a just as strong if not stronger build in a 29er wheelset.

I'm Slow
    Was 270 (now 230) and I've been riding Stan's Flows for 2 years. and thats what I recommend. It costs more, but when you count in all the broken spokes you won't have its cheaper. Currently trying to break a cheap Chinese carbon 29er set.

I agree with above posts. Some will say 36 spoke wheels and brass nipples. While they are stronger I think they are over kill if you buy a quality wheelset.

32 spoke wheels with double butted spokes and a strong rim should be fine at your weight.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    265# ride fairly hard, FLOW EX 36 hole....no probs yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    270 and i just sold my RhynoLites on M800 saints... Curently waiting for my i23s and planning on DT revo spokes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    230ish pounds, yet to have a problem with these riding XC & AM:

Rigid Singlespeed:
    Velocity Blunt SL 29er Rims
    32 Hole DMR Front Hub
    32 Hole WTB Rear Hub w/American Classic Internals
    Wheelsmith Double Butted 2.0r/1.7f Black Spokes and DT Swiss 2.0 Green Alloy Nipples

Squishy Geared:
    DT Swiss 520SLs 29er Rims
    32 Hole Specialized Front Hub
    36 Hole Specialized Rear Hub
    DT Swiss Champion 1.8mm 15g Stainless Spokes
    Ben - Clydesdale - Type II Diabetic - 6'7", ~278lbs in 09/2011 - A1C 9.4%, ~228lbs in 07/2012 - A1C 5.6%, ~240lbs in 05/2013

mtbr member
    250 lbs, Stan's flows, 36 DT Swiss and a hope 2. No problems in almost a year