Thread: Rim Crusher

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rim Crusher

Well if the members i see here all clydesdales I must be a Belgian Draft Horse. I'm a truck so i bought a Montague Paratrooper folding mountain bike and it seems fairly sturdy but definitely needs some upgrades to survive my 6-00 385lb butt. First step is wheels since I already tacoed a couple 32 hole cheapos in two weeks. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Any bike that's designed to fold is probably going to end up doing exactly that when you don't want it to. I have to assume that you're paying a huge weight (not a big concern here) and strength penalty to have a bike that "EASILY STORES IN THE CLOSET OR UNDER YOUR BED WHEN NOT IN USE" (read in infomercial announcer's voice).

I'd have looked for a super stout hardtail with a beefy fork and wheels.

Kona Hoss:

http://www.konaworld.com/shopping_ca...0&parentid=253

Also, check out some of Norco heavy duty bikes:
    Bigfoot:
    http://www.norco.com/ts/pass/norco06...foot&col=green

but, since you already have a bike, YES upgrade your wheels first. I would be concerned about wieght at all considering your own size. You might want to even look at wheelsets used by downhill racers and 'big hit' type riders. You don't have to spend a fortune. I bet you can find a super rugged budget wheelset for less than $200.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Well I needed something that I could store in the semi truck since thats where I spend the majority of my time. This bike actually folds around the center post instead of in the middle of the frame like a lot of the folding bikes.

http://www.montagueco.com/productpara.html

old part timer
    Your best bet is to have a custom set of wheels built. I have a set of Chris King single speed hubs on some Salsa Rims that have held up well. I don't do much drop offs but ride hard on them.(6'6'' and 280 pounds)

Making fat cool since '71

I'll avoid talking about that bike, for now...

Quote Originally Posted by mrtrashytrucker
    Well I needed something that I could store in the semi truck since thats where I spend the majority of my time. This bike actually folds around the center post instead of in the middle of the frame like a lot of the folding bikes.

http://www.montagueco.com/productpara.html
    and just suggest wheels: Budget *and* strong: Sun Rhynolite XL (<$45/rim). Several on-line places have sets of LX or XT disc hubs laced to Rhynolite XL's w/14 guage spokes for under $175/set. That set would take everything that bike could handle and more (Performance or Supergo or Nashbar or PricePoint or...). I've been running either Sun/Ringle' Singlewides or Rhynolite XL's for a long time and have had some good results. I ride King hubs (finally!!!!!), but rode XT for years and they did fine except for the bearings from the factory suck, but rebuilds are pretty easy. Anyway, now for the bike...

Happy riding and keep the rubber side down. If the road finds you in western OR send me a message. We'll get a ride going.

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 08-08-2006 at 01:47 PM. Reason: I'm a dope...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

Your bike is incorrigible

don't argue with the King

I'm going to second the Rynolite wheelset. They are cheap and have strong rims. Mine are laced to XT hubs, and I've been using them, trouble free, for three years. The other wheelset I would suggest looking into is WTB Dual Duty. Again, they are strong and cheap. In this case, they are fairly lightweight for what they offer. I think mine were $250, but I've since seen them for a lot less.

@adelorenzo
    I've been riding a Rhyno Lite with Deore hub all season, it's a great wheel for the money. I paid less than $100 CAD and other than a few loose spokes no problems, it stays very true. I'm 6'6"/250.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    One thing I've learned about store-bought budget wheels, or wheels on brand new bikes: they're very rarely built tight enough. The spokes and rims are plenty strong, but the wheel isn't built with enough tension.

I had an example of that yesterday when I noticed a rattling noise and found a loose spoke - and I mean LOOSE, as in zero tension! - in a 2-week-old store-bought rear wheel. It was made with decent cheap parts, but the spokes weren't tensioned enough. It was a non-drive-side spoke that came loose, of course. I fixed that by the side of the trail. I think I gave every drive side spoke at least 1/2 turn, then trued it to suit and carried on with the ride. I cranked on it some more when I got home. I don't expect any more problems with that wheel.

From now on I'm making a habit of adding tension to all new wheels, unless they come from a reputable custom wheelbuilder and the final truing was done in front of me!

The spoke wrench is your friend, especially to we who are gravitationally gifted. Learn to use it.

@adelorenzo
    Couldn't agree more, Chuck, re: factory wheels. I ended up tightening 5-6 off-side spokes that were completely loose, and finally brought it in last week to have it totally re-tensioned and trued. (Thank goodness I did that -- mechanic noticed that the freehub was working lose, much more of that and the hub would have been trashed.)

Ironically, I just got back from a ride where I snapped a rear spoke and had a total blowout of the tire in the last 500 m. First one on that wheel, I don't think it's anybody's fault. I was hammering a big gear up a rocky hill, these things happen.

My new 29er wheels on order are being custom built by a good shop and laced 4-cross. Should be plenty strong. I can't wait.

Regards,
    Anthony