mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Rim Choice for Wheel set XM719/F519?

Hey fellow clydes, I am building up a SS Wheelset. Got some great hubs picked out (White Industries), will be running discs, chosen 14/15 gauge spokes in a 3 cross pattern, but still need to determine the best rims. My LBS has recommended Sun Ringle XCDS-2 but after some reviews I think I will stick with Mavic. I'm leaning towards XM719's or F519's. Anyone have experience, either positive or negative, regarding either one of these rims?

By the way, I weigh 215 and ride mainly aggresive cross country but limit drops to only 2 ft or so...

mtbr member

Well, my big arse...

...is now pushing 250# and I have an F519/CK wheelset that is now 3 seasons old. Built by Speedgoat. Has need truing only once and that was only recently after I put a slight wobble in it during an OTB experience.

These wheels have been run on both 4-6" travel FS bikes and my rigid SS and have held up to drops up to 4' under my big carcass.

I've also been very happy with F219 and the newer 321 (both disc specific) than seems to have replaced the 219.

--Sean
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I ordered a couple of the f519's this summer and had them built up w/ a new 36 hole xt front hub and a new but older model 36 hole xt in the rear. I haven't had any problems w/ them. they needed a slight truing a couple of times but no other problems otherwise. I've used rim companies other than mavic and had more problems, especially w/ sun rhyno lite/ deore combination. they just wouldn't stay straight, I'm not sure what the problem was. They are now my singlespeed wheelset. ( a bit lighter use)

mtbr member
    I put two seasons on my xt / 519s before selling the old bike. Never realized how little maintenance they needed until I got a different set.