mtbr member
    Jun 2009

riding workout routine.

Im just wondering what everyones riding routine is? like how many days a week, miles, does anyone lift weights (hit the gym). Just trying to get an ideas of what other big guys are doing.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Mon bench & tri's
    Tues 4mi climb from sea level to 2500 ft.
    Wed back and bi's
    Thurs rest
    Friday 10 mi, climb
    Sat squats and misc stuff.
    Sun rest
    Rinse.lather.repeat

Making fat cool since '71
    Not trying to be a smartass (any more than typical anyway), but I just ride my bike. Two days per week I tend to pick trails that have at least an hour worth of consistent climbing, something that causes me to really exert myself for a protracted period of time (like last night, 1:40 of climbing, all at the beginning) and still have some DH reward (that's easy to do where I live). Then one ride per week I just ride whatever sounds good. The only way to be in bike shape is to ride your bike. For resistance stuff, I just do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups type stuff. Stretching most days, etc. I hate routines, becomes a "job" for me. Works for others though. I bore easily so I tend to just try to make sure I climb, the rest will take care of itself.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I wont take anything as a smart@ss answer, im new to the hobby and Im sure I will be asking some dumb questions. It just Iv been riding every day for the last week. yester 12 miles and 8 miles the day before. i just wanted some ideas on what other riders are doing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Not trying to be a smartass (any more than typical anyway), but I just ride my bike. Two days per week I tend to pick trails that have at least an hour worth of consistent climbing, something that causes me to really exert myself for a protracted period of time (like last night, 1:40 of climbing, all at the beginning) and still have some DH reward (that's easy to do where I live). Then one ride per week I just ride whatever sounds good. The only way to be in bike shape is to ride your bike. For resistance stuff, I just do push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups type stuff. Stretching most days, etc. I hate routines, becomes a "job" for me. Works for others though. I bore easily so I tend to just try to make sure I climb, the rest will take care of itself.

Brock...
    You’re not being a smartass. Cycling is a very sport specific activity. If you want to become better at cycling you do need to ride your bike. With that said there are many reasons to incorporate some sort of workout routine off the bike. While in this routine working on deficiencies that are created while riding will keep the body balanced and decrease the likelihood of injury. In the same manner building muscle will reduce the chance of injury in a crash. Plus for those of us that ride as part of a fitness regiment generally look to have an overall balanced body and should incorporate various different types of training to achieve this.
    Retribution Fitness: Strength, Power, and Purpose
    General fitness workouts posted daily.

Plus size jersey model
    I am back to riding 5 days a week. Right now they are 2-3hr rides through the summer because it freakin hot and I need to get back in shape. When it starts to cool down I will probably be back to 5-6 hr rides. I don't do anything but ride my bike and go for the occasional relaxing swim. I hate going to the gym, jogging or any of that thats why I ride because I enjoy it and it gets me out burning calories.

all about the ride down
    Apr 2008
    I lift Mon.,Wed.,Fri. Always train the whole body in each session. Generally just basic power movements and at least one Olympic style explosive movement per session. To mix this up I do bodyweight exercises, boulder training (I toss around a 100lb. rock in every possible way I can think of for 30min. non-stop) and sledge hammer training.

I try to ride 6 days a week. It's been raining a lot so most of my rides have been road rides on my cyclocross bike. Road rides I keep to a minimum of 12mi. Mountain rides are all over the place.

This morning I lifted for 30 min. did a 8mi. mountain bike ride with 2,000 ft. of gain/loss and this afternoon I did a 6mi. mountain bike ride with 800 ft. of gain/loss.
    The More People I Meet the More I Prefer Dogs!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I tend to commute every where on my bike, do up until recently (just finished college) I did 8mi a day (5days) + any thing else (10mi a week) and that does include any mtb'ing, unforchantly i still arn't in good shape 17-18st (~6'4"); guess i eat to much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I try to get in one long ride on the weekends, and maybe another on a weeknight. As a middle-aged guy with wife, kids, job, it's hard for me to get in much more than that.

I run on Tues and Thurs mornings. This is good because I can fit a strong aerobic workout into a smallish period of time. Also works slightly different muscles than biking.

1-2 days a week I do a core strengh workout, which is basically 20 minutes of crunches and a bunch of other similar exercises. As long as I do the core workout I have no back pain. If I stop the core workouts, it may take a couple months, but I will have back pain again.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    As others mentioned just ride. I try to get out and weather and time permits. If you have different types of bikes, trails or people to ride with variation is great training.

Some days i'll ride all single track, others all climbs, longer ride on fireroads and such such for some miles. Other things that seem to help is chasing someone thats better than you, intervalish type riding such pushing yourself through a climb or some single track followed by a slow paced section. I'll change from f/s 26er to hardtail 29er to road bike and they all make for a completly different workout.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Ride with people better than you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    I actually did start doin that and it has helped! im riding 10+ miles now

gravity fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by tenbsmith
    I occasionally ride with my neighbor (Skinny and in amazing shape) and he will ride next to me and carry on a conversation while I'm pushing my bike up some of our fire road climbs.
    It's humbling, but I end up riding further, pushing myself more and clearing sections that I would normally give up on my own.
    It's funny because when we ride together, I consider it my hardcore workout ride, and he considers it a relaxing recovery ride