mtbr member

Revel 1. 1st upgrade.

Need some advice. I'm new to mountain biking but am loving it. The problem I have is I'm a bid dude, 6'2 270. I'm trying not to go crazy with upgrades but have identified a couple things that are a must. I need to replace the fork and the brakes, both related to my size. I'm on a budget so its one thing at a time. I could upgrade the shock using suntours upgrade program for around 175 or so or i could get some bb7's, new levers and a 180mm rotor for roughly the same price. Anybody have an opinion on bang for your buck?
    Darren

mtbr member
    Which seems lacking the most? If you can swing it, maybe the fork and the front brake, replace the rear one later since front sees more braking than rear.

mtbr member

Re: Revel 1. 1st upgrade.

Both are pretty bad but the brake seems like more of a safety issue. I guess the better question is whether or not getting better brakes will exacerbate the nose dive when braking rendering the brakes less than ideal. Or whether I should just save u a bit and upgrade to hydraulic brakes after replacing the fork.

Sent From My Galaxy Note 2

mtbr member
    No need for hydraulic brakes unless you want them. The BB7's have more than enough stopping power.

If you are having stopping issues now, then yeah, I'd definitely upgrade those first. Front brake at least. As far as the fork, yeah, I'd imagine stronger stopping force would worsen the nose dive. You could possibly combat that by locking out the fork if you're able to. That's what I did on my RockHopper when I first got it. Rode it locked until I could afford an upgrade. I was 320 pounds at that time though.

mtbr member

Revel 1. 1st upgrade.

Is upgrading the front to 180mm rotor worth the extra money or is the difference negligible

mtbr member
    For the $5 difference in price, I'd go 180mm.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    At 270lbs, I think I would consider a 203 rotor up front. I run them front and rear because I can get smaller rotors over heated on long downhill runs.

And, I also feel that BB7's are just fine and have all the power needed and more when set up correctly.

As for the fork, at 270lbs, I would recommend an air spring type.

mtbr member
    Ive been running 180/160 since 320 pounds with no issues. Guess it depends on the terrain you ride. I ride a lot of short steep stuff so I don't have long periods of braking.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    You mean everyone doesn't ride just like I do?

I ride some descents that have as much as 2,000 to over 4,000 vertical feet and go on for miles. I can ride 180/160 rotors on many trails with little to no issues, but I'm not into changing rotors for different rides. So one could get by without large rotors depending on the terrain among other things.

mtbr member
    Sheesh...where do you live? I don't think there's a decent like that anywhere around me unless on the road...lol...that would be quite the good time.

But yeah, there's certainly no harm in running a 203mm up front if the fork can handle it. I guess some can't.

mtbr member

Revel 1. 1st upgrade.

2nd newb question. How can i confirm that my fork will allow a 203mm rotor? Its the stock giant revel 1 fork.

mtbr member
    Check out the Revel thread to see what other Revel owners have upgraded - Revel Thread

Also, have you seen the Suntour fork upgrade program? - If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork

mtbr member
    I lied. I'm actually running 185/185.

mtbr member
    That Suntour upgrade program won't be around forever. I would take care of the fork first.
    He who dares....wins!