life is a barrel o'fun

retirement gift bike for dad

The paternal unit is being put out to pasture. Not sure exactly how much he weighs, but he's definitely obese, and although active enough to play racquetball and golf a couple of times/week, he hasn't been running in many years. Don't think he's been on a bike since he was my age

As a kid, I used to go with him to the track while he jogged laps, so he's not a *complete* stranger to exercise. Now that he'll have more time, I'd love to get him on a bike and encourage him to get outside more often. He lives right near a bike path for cryin' out loud.

He has gout and one hip has been replaced; other than that he seems to be okay. This morning I saw a Trek 4100 Matrix locked up and I could picture him on something like that. Anybody familiar with this bike?
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground

life is a barrel o'fun
    Okay, then, how about this one:

Trek 3700

Shimano V-Brake

RST front shock

Alpha custom aluminum

Matrix 550

Bontrager Connection Trail B 26x2.0

My sister estimates that Dad's about 280. The woman selling this bike says that her husband is 5'8" which is about my dad's height.
    "We sat outside the dentist, tooting a horn on the guy's bike."-overheard in the Underground