mtbr member
    May 2011

Replacing my Stolen bike, looking for suggestions

Hello all a few months back I had my 2004 S-works stolen from my garage and I just received notice from my insurance company that they will let me replace it with a brand new 2013 Specialized S-works Hardtail. This is where the question comes up, tipping the scales at 260 lbs and being 6' 3" I'm wondering if that XC-racer with all of its lightweight carbon parts (frame, wheels, seatpost, etc) will be able to stand up to the beating that a person of my stature can inflict on a bike. I mean its a dream bike but I'm hesitant to trust a bike that weighs in at sub 20 lbs.

In short can I make it work? and if not what would be some suggestions of other bikes in that price range would take the beating and come out smelling like roses?

Thanks for all the insight, looking forward to getting a bike and dropping the excess weight!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    The 2013 S-Works are max rated @240

The FS/HT Comp Carbons are max rated @275 and the FS/HT Comp Evo are rated @300.

FYI: as a Clydesdale, we're hard on wheels and suggest swapping in some Stan's Flow EX

mtbr member
    If I am not mistaken, those rims have a max weight of 225lbs. I'm not sure but go to your LBS and ask them what they think.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert