mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Replace my fork or buy new?

Posted this on the beginners forum, but they suggested i move it to here.

I have a 2000 GT Outpost (http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/B...post&Type=bike) that I use to ride pretty regularly in college, nothing really severe, but after graduating I got busy and then in 2004 I tore my ACL/MCL in my right knee and then in 2009 I had microfracture surgery on my left knee.

I've always been a big guy (6'5") but after ballooning up to 260 and feeling my knees get worse with that weight I'm determined to get back down to something respectable.

I've been riding my bike around Lake Hefner (paved road) for those familiar with OKC, and I haven't had any problems with it. Some guys in my office go trail riding once a week and I would like to join them. Problem is that my shock is practically worthless.

Any suggestions on replacing it (probably need to replace the stem as well)?

Or should I just buy a new bike? I'm on a limited budget ($400).

mtbr member
    You've already answererd that question yourself, haven't you? You'd like to go trail riding, but cannot see a way your current ride would do it. Ergo you cannot do what you want.
    The only problem is your budget. I think either you're lucky and find a good deal for a 2nd hand bike, or you could only replace your current bike with something that doesn't offer much more "trailability". To be honest, I don't think buying an expensive fork (and brakes!?) will turn the Outpost into a trustworthy mountainbike. You'd probably end up replacing parts very frequently and after all pay more than if you had bought a new one. Turning the bike into a singlespeeder might help, but cranks/bottom bracket, hubs/wheels etc. will probably not last forever either.

Save your money until you find a good deal for a bike (new or used) that fits your budget AND requirements.

Unfortunately biking ist not the least expensive sport around and bigger riders put more stress on bikes and parts than those tiny creatures around...