mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Listen! Recommendations for tough shoes in wide.

I have been using a set if Pearl Izumi Race shoes for two years and they are shot. I'm 6'8" and 280lbs. I need a tough set. I think a set with a wider footbed would be better. I've been looking at a set of Mavic Maxi shoes. Any input? Any better recommendations?

mtbr member
    510 impact

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I need a pair for SPD pedals.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The Shimano XC50N shoes are pretty wide for a normal shoe. I'd say they are almost as wide as the Sidi Mega sizes.

mtbr member
    Shimano M088 wide fit. Best, toughest mtb shoe ever. Love mine, would never go back to Sidi's again. These things fit like a glove and are super tough. Just order 1 size bigger than normal. I'm normally a size 50, ordered 51... perfect.

wiggle.com.au | Shimano M088 SPD Mountain Bike Shoes - Wide Fit | Offroad Shoes

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Shimano M088 wide fit. Best, toughest mtb shoe ever. Love mine, would never go back to Sidi's again. These things fit like a glove and are super tough. Just order 1 size bigger than normal. I'm normally a size 50, ordered 51... perfect.

wiggle.com.au | Shimano M088 SPD Mountain Bike Shoes - Wide Fit | Offroad Shoes
    Did you have issues with Sidi?

I just picked up a pair of Dominator 5's to replace a set of Mavic Rush that had parts falling off after only a dozen road rides and 3-4 mountain rides (I use the SPD platform for both bikes). I'm hoping they will last quite a while.

The Sidi's feel pretty wide compared to the Mavic's, almost too much so. But I do not have wide feet so they would probably be good for the thread starter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Did you have issues with Sidi?

I just picked up a pair of Dominator 5's to replace a set of Mavic Rush that had parts falling off after only a dozen road rides and 3-4 mountain rides (I use the SPD platform for both bikes). I'm hoping they will last quite a while.

The Sidi's feel pretty wide compared to the Mavic's, almost too much so. But I do not have wide feet so they would probably be good for the thread starter.
    i had dominator 5's for years, still have them. They are a great shoe, but are no match in toughness to the shimanos. Bash your toes on a rock in the sidi's and it's agony. I've broken toes in them. The shimanos offer much more protection for your feet, and I find them to be a lot more comfortable as they have a much wider toe box, the sidi's are much pointier in the toe. The shimanos also have a much better sole for hike-a-bike sections, offering real grip. The sidi's are more like a road shoe, great for xc racing. Aaand the shimano's are 2.5 times cheaper!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've had very bad experiences with the MO87 and MO88's. Treat is too soft and gets ripped up very easily if you ride in rocky conditions. I ripped the sole on two pairs before I vowed to never use them again. The XC50N's have a much harder sole and tread that has been holding up well.