I can break that

Recommendations for a tough 9-speed chain

Im sure this is somewhere in the archives, but I am still getting errors on searching. I am 62 260 lbs. I ride a Fisher Dual Sport 129. (Details at the end) I will be picking up a new wheelset later this week to use for dirt only. I have another wheelset for street only. I would like to replace the chain during this upgrade and want a strong chain.

Any suggestions?

Road wheelset
    Hope Pro 2 hubset, Mavic A719 rims, straight gauge silver Wheelsmith spokes, silver brass DT Swiss nipples, SRAM cassette PG 970, Hayes 8 rotor on the rear, 6 on the front.

Dirt wheelset
    Chris King ISO (HD Rear) hubset, Sun RhynoLite 29er rims, straight gauge silver Wheelsmith spokes, silver brass DT Swiss nipples, SRAM cassette PG 980, Hayes 8 rotor on the rear, 6 on the front.

Cranks: Bontrager Select, Chain (current) Shimano HG53, Front derailleur LX, Rear derailleur: XT, Shifters: LX, Brakes Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic.

HammerHead
    Here is my experience with chains. I am 5'11" and 220-235lbs. I measure chain strength by their stretching in terms of miles
    The best chain so far I found was 9 speed Deore LX from Shimano. I tested these chains on my stumpjumper.
    Below is summary when various chains stretch too much to shift/ride properly. If stretch is more then 1/4 link then chain start skipping.
    Shimano XTR/DuraAce chain 700 miles
    Shimano XT/Ultegra chain 1000 miles
    Shimano Deore LX/105 1400 miles (the best so far)

I also used SRAMs do not remember the number I beleive PG98 or PG78 with their easy to install Powerlinks they stretch pretty quickly after 200 miles, actually chainlinks were ok it is their Power link that stretch and chain start skipping at one point. You can probably install the SRAM chain without the PowerLink and try to see if they last longer. But after second Powelink stretch, I stopped using them and switched to Shimano.
    2012 Cannondale Flash Carbon 3 29er
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

I can break that

Thanks

Is that the HG73?

I accually picked up a SRAM 991 this morning. Looks like that's going back.

locked - time out
    Wipperman 9x1, Stainless Steel. You'll wear out a cassette and rings first. 1800+miles.

Jake Pay, Here.

HammerHead
    Quote Originally Posted by Pay Here
    Wipperman 9x1, Stainless Steel. You'll wear out a cassette and rings first. 1800+miles.

Jake Pay, Here.
    Any stretched chain will wear out cassette and chainrings, that is why you replace them once they are stretched by more the 1/4 link compared to new chain. I usualy check the stretch when I clean my chain. I beleive LBS also carrries a tool that can measure the stretch without removing the chain.
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

HammerHead
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeiam
    Is that the HG73?

I accually picked up a SRAM 991 this morning. Looks like that's going back.
    Shimano Deore LX/105 chain also known as HG73
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeiam
    Im sure this is somewhere in the archives, but I am still getting errors on searching. I am 62 260 lbs. I ride a Fisher Dual Sport 129. (Details at the end) I will be picking up a new wheelset later this week to use for dirt only. I have another wheelset for street only. I would like to replace the chain during this upgrade and want a strong chain.

Any suggestions?

Road wheelset
    Hope Pro 2 hubset, Mavic A719 rims, straight gauge silver Wheelsmith spokes, silver brass DT Swiss nipples, SRAM cassette PG 970, Hayes 8 rotor on the rear, 6 on the front.

Dirt wheelset
    Chris King ISO (HD Rear) hubset, Sun RhynoLite 29er rims, straight gauge silver Wheelsmith spokes, silver brass DT Swiss nipples, SRAM cassette PG 980, Hayes 8 rotor on the rear, 6 on the front.

Cranks: Bontrager Select, Chain (current) Shimano HG53, Front derailleur LX, Rear derailleur: XT, Shifters: LX, Brakes Hayes HFX-9 hydraulic.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm curious why you run a larger 8" rotor in the rear? As far as I know most people run larger in the front (I have 7" front, 6 rear). From what I know of physics as an engineering student, you can get more stopping power out of the front so the larger is better served up front. Just curious if there are any reasons for running larger rear, and don't mean to be critical of your setup.

Unfortunatly I don't have much to say on chains. I have only had to deal with replacing them once last summer. That chain was whatever the LBS put on it, after the original 8sp wore out with proably over 1000 miles on it. I've since learned a lot about bikes and maintenace and will be doing my own drivetrain work from now on.

HammerHead
    I beleive there is another thread somewhere here about running bigger brakes on front. I mainly brake with my front, and rarely use rear. You can find more info at Sheldon Brown's website about how to use brakes effectively www.sheldonbrown.com
    2013 Tarmac Sport
    2009 Langster Moscow
    "What is wrong?"
    "You need a new bike"

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    i was thinking the same thing about brake set up. I run 8" up front and 6" inch out back. As you brake weight shifts forward so it makes sense to have larger brake up front. As far as chains go i broke the SRAM chain that came on my stumpie in the first two weeks, mostly because of retarded shifting. After that i ran a dura-ace chain for ~1500 miles with no problems until the end where it did start to skip a bit.

I can break that
    8" in the rear, because I have a crappy fork and 8" won't fit in front. Maybe in a few months, better fork, 8" in the front.