mtbr member
    Mar 2011

recommend a good handlebar stem setup for a 6'4" cannondale rider

i recently got a L 19" jekyll i know it is small but love the maneuverability coming from my 29er 21"

my stem has a stripped bolt im goign to tap and fix it but wanted to upgrade

I was thinking about going with one of the short stems(60mm) and wider bar setups

but being taller i was not sure if i should stay with a 100mm+ stem.

i dont mind changing my riding position to keep the front tire down on climbs bc it is already very light with the stock stem which is over 100mm

what do you guys think i searched but couldnt find anything for us taller/bigger riders!

Former Bike Wrench
    Since we've already established that the bike is at least one size too small for you. If you wan't a 100mm or longer stem just pick one out, except for stupid light carbon and ti stems pretty much anything will work. Titec, Truvativ, Thompson, FSA, Easton, etc. Probably should go with 31.8mm sized bars for some extra stiffness.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    A 6'4" rider on a 19" Jekyll with a 60mm stem?

Sounds like a recipe for some 'over-the-bars' action to me

When you stand up on the pedals, either you have to hang your rear end way off the back (and hang onto the bars with a death grip), or the bars will be just in front of your thighs and when you hit the brakes it's not going to be pretty

My daughter, who is 5'9" has an 18" Jekyll. I know what that bike feels like, and I wouldn't want to ride it that way. My hat's off to you if you can manage that thing at speed.

JMHO and YMMV