mtbr member
    Mar 2006

New question here. reccomendations on trainers

Id like to say hello and introduce myself as I am new to the boards here, my name is Greg and I live in So. California. Ive just gotten back into biking again after taking a few years off and getting back into the swing of things. I am currently at 250 pounds and 6'2 tall. My main goal is getting down to around the 200 pound range again. My only problem is finding time to ride these days, its dark when I get home from work and im interested in getting a trainer, I have read the product reviews but I think id get a better idea of what I should be looking for by asking people in my weight range, so any insights or reccomendations are appreciated, thanks!
    "save a plant, eat an animal"

mtbr member
    Welcome!

I'm currently ~240 and have been using the performance brand fluid trainer (travel trac, which looks like their current century trainer) for.. dang, ~ 5 yrs already (occasional use in extreme hot or cold weather).
    I didn't think it was worth it to spend extra on the resistance adjustment, when you can just change gears. I'd tried a mag unit, it was noisy & not much resistance.
    Some skewers weren't compatible, but shimano's work fine with this one.

It's not exactly quiet, especially in my house w/ wooden floors and the house up on piers (talk about resonation), but I installed some padding on the feet & usually place it on a workout mat to help quiet things down.
    I use it on a mtn bike w/ slicks... be sure to get a cheapo slick for the back tire, if you don't already have one (I have a spare wheelset w/ slicks for street & trainer riding), and some scrap wood (ie 4x4) to level out the front end when the bike is on the trainer.

hope that answers some questions.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]